The AKG K7XX Massdrop First Edition Thread
Mar 13, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,966 of 4,580
IMO, any rattle is NOT okay.

You can drive any transducer into over excursion. When the coil bottoms in the gap you will hear it. I have seen 18" subs rated at 1000 watts bottom out if overdriven. I have seen coils come completely out of the gap... with catastrophic results for the driver.

I tested mine. At 10 hz, driven at a much higher level than I would ever listen and they made a lot of racket. Either the coils were bottoming or the face of the driver was hitting something. When the sweep went to 20 hz, it stopped I realized I had my eq up about 8 db from 10 to about 70 hz.
When I zeroed it out, there was no more noise. Knowing that I would never play the headphones that loud on my head...and that there is, in reality, not much information at 10 to 20 hz in recorded music, I decided that it was not a problem.

Again, if you push any transducer to beyond its limits, it will misbehave. That doesn't mean it is defective, it means that you are being stupid!

Don't take this wrong, obviously some of these had problems. I am just saying that any headphone, if sufficiently abused will do things that you don't like.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,967 of 4,580
So I tried the test to see if there is any rattle issues and I'm wondering. If I don't hear any rattle at 20Hz, that means my headphone is okay? But what if I hear rattle at 10hz?

I tested using my LG G2>Fiio E11>K7XX.
E11 was set to high gain and max volume/6.5 on dial, G2 had max volume as well. The rattle started at 10Hz but at 20Hz it didn't rattle anymore.

So is this ok or no?

Confused here...

Would you ever listen to the headphones with these settings?
Probably not. Try again with some reasonable levels set...

Mar 13, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #1,968 of 4,580
Would you ever listen to the headphones with these settings?
Probably not. Try again with some reasonable levels set...

So I tried it again but this time using my Recon3d sub on my PC with the Fiio E11 and had the dial on the E11 at 6 o clock. Played the test tone, both the one that shakes or bass shaker and the one where the guy tells you 10Hz, 20Hz etc.

Test tone with guy talking, it rattles from 10Hz to 20Hz, after that it minimizes but I hear a small faint buzz, different from the tone, it's very faint and it's there if you try hard enough to hear it. The bass shaker however, rattles a lot more for the first 4 seconds I think up to 30Hz or so. This is usually my hearing level, especially when playing games. 5.5 I also use but sometimes it sounds a bit low for me.

So I don't know, would you guys say I should run other test or call AKG and get it repaired?

Mar 13, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #1,969 of 4,580
You can drive any transducer into over excursion. When the coil bottoms in the gap you will hear it. I have seen 18" subs rated at 1000 watts bottom out if overdriven. I have seen coils come completely out of the gap... with catastrophic results for the driver.

I tested mine. At 10 hz, driven at a much higher level than I would ever listen and they made a lot of racket. Either the coils were bottoming or the face of the driver was hitting something. When the sweep went to 20 hz, it stopped I realized I had my eq up about 8 db from 10 to about 70 hz.
When I zeroed it out, there was no more noise. Knowing that I would never play the headphones that loud on my head...and that there is, in reality, not much information at 10 to 20 hz in recorded music, I decided that it was not a problem.

Again, if you push any transducer to beyond its limits, it will misbehave. That doesn't mean it is defective, it means that you are being stupid!

Don't take this wrong, obviously some of these had problems. I am just saying that any headphone, if sufficiently abused will do things that you don't like.

Why you calling me stupid? I just gave my opinion on the rattle.

Mar 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #1,971 of 4,580
Mine had a rattle/buzz and I ended up sending it back to Massdrop. However you could still get a replacement unit with a rattle. AKG's repair turnaround time is pretty fast. I'd probably go that route if I did it again.

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,972 of 4,580
he saying it is possible to run into rattling from overpowering the drivers and running at too high a volume level.

you should test at normal listening volumes. if you have an issue there, then get it repaired. dont go lookin for trouble, you can damagr your headphones amping them and playing them at too high a volume

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #1,973 of 4,580
he saying it is possible to run into rattling from overpowering the drivers and running at too high a volume level.

you should test at normal listening volumes. if you have an issue there, then get it repaired. dont go lookin for trouble, you can damagr your headphones amping them and playing them at too high a volume

Especially at very low frequencies !
This testing shouldn't be a torture test. Drivers can easily be damaged. I think that if they are damaged by abuse, and AKG can tell that, they will likely decline the warranty repairs. Then you are screwed (the indefinite "you" here!)

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,974 of 4,580
honestly its an easy mistake to make as audiochecker says the run their bass shaker test at full volume. i just wanted to give ppl a heads up that sort of testing may be dangerous for the akg k7xx.

i wld recommend runnin at NORMAL listening volumes. run at full volume at your own risk.

edit: ithink full volume from a source shld be fine for the k7xx, but full volume from a powerful amplifier can blow out the drivers on many headphones!!! please be careful

Mar 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #1,975 of 4,580
My 7xx (second drop delivered in February) don't rattle at all. And they have slightly louder sub bass than the K701, and Q701. But none rattle, even when driven louder than anyone would want to listen for more than a minute or two.

Mar 13, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #1,976 of 4,580
After some research I'm contemplating between Monoprice, Magni 2, and E17k for my k7xx. Primarily using iPhone 6 and occasionally computer.

I like monoprice for having line outs but that blue LED is troubling.
The Magni 2 doesn't match my color scheme and lacks line outs for speakers.
The E17K is sleek and portable.

Thoughts? Any other recs?

Mar 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,977 of 4,580
After some research I'm contemplating between Monoprice, Magni 2, and E17k for my k7xx. Primarily using iPhone 6 and occasionally computer.

I like monoprice for having line outs but that blue LED is troubling.
The Magni 2 doesn't match my color scheme and lacks line outs for speakers.
The E17K is sleek and portable.

Thoughts? Any other recs?

o2/odac is another option that ppl often recommend in ur price range. not exactly sure what kinda of aesthetic look u r going for so cant be that much more help. schiit products are auite popular here for their value:sound. fiio offers extremely competitive pricing for their feature set & specs. u can consider the old e70k or e17 to save more money.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #1,978 of 4,580
I would also recommend the Aune T1. Gives you the ability to roll tubes and customize the sound to a certain extent. Comes in black or white, has RCA line outs

Quote:
o2/odac is another option that ppl often recommend in ur price range. not exactly sure what kinda of aesthetic look u r going for so cant be that much more help. schiit products are auite popular here for their value:sound. fiio offers extremely competitive pricing for their feature set & specs. u can consider the old e70k or e17 to save more money.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #1,979 of 4,580
My 7xx (second drop delivered in February) don't rattle at all. And they have slightly louder sub bass than the K701, and Q701. But none rattle, even when driven louder than anyone would want to listen for more than a minute or two.

I have never heard any rattles at very high levels on music signals. I have played organ concertos with documented output to and below 20HZ quite loudly. I have listened to the canons in the 1812 overture... even played some of the ultimate bass demo disks form AVS. No rattles.

The bass shaker test at about 2 O' Clock on my Polaris with the bottom end  up 8 db using the Foobar 30 band EQ, made the drivers obviously hit something at 10 HZ, by 20 HZ the noise was gone all of the way through the rest of the test to 250. As a data point, when I was exceeding the drivers capabilities... both sides were bottoming and/or going into serious over excursion.
When I set the EQ flat, they didn't do this At normal; listening levels with the EQ back up, they did not do this. Am I worried about them being defective... not in the least. Will I try to make them make this noise again for situations that will never happen under normal use, nope.

Remember, these headphones are rated to a MAX input level of 200 mw. Many portable amps and most desktop amps will far exceed this level. Cranking any 1 to 5 watt amp all the way up into these is very likely to seriously break them.

Even if a web page tells you to open everything up to max, think a bit before doing it...then don't.

Mar 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #1,980 of 4,580
I tested mine by listening to music about as loudly as I could stand for a few seconds and then turned it up just slightly more to test.  I don't care if maxed out it rattles because I wont ever hear it at that volume.  I feel I have reasonably tested mine to not rattle in use and that is good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back