The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Mar 18, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #6,287 of 6,349
Sorry for the somewhat off topic post here, but I have a curiosity and I hope maybe some of y'all will have experience to help.

As a fan of K712 and Q701, should I get a set of K702 to keep around for the future? They're pretty affordable right now, but I have heard that quality control isn't what it used to be on them too or that they now have a kind of "cheap" feel. The K712 sure doesn't have a cheap feel, and the Austrian-made Q701 have held up great, anyone with experience of the more recent K702 able to comment?

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #6,288 of 6,349
Sorry for the somewhat off topic post here, but I have a curiosity and I hope maybe some of y'all will have experience to help.

As a fan of K712 and Q701, should I get a set of K702 to keep around for the future? They're pretty affordable right now, but I have heard that quality control isn't what it used to be on them too or that they now have a kind of "cheap" feel. The K712 sure doesn't have a cheap feel, and the Austrian-made Q701 have held up great, anyone with experience of the more recent K702 able to comment?
I would like to know too.

I like Jeff Buckley and Tim Buckley too

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #6,289 of 6,349
I checked prior to posting and I just checked again, here's what I see:

8P2NKhQ.png

I was searching for other information about them and came across numerous references to them on Headphone reddits and forums, even their Facebook page, suggesting that they were discontinued some years back - BUT, AKG does still list them on their web site and says they are in stock, though at $639 dollars I could have got at least three pair from Thomann for that and had some cash left over, before they went out of stock on them.

Happy to learn more and revise my impression, if anyone knows the scoop!
Amazon has the 712s priced at just over 400 dollars.

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #6,290 of 6,349
I actually got in touch with them about this, and they offered good news - they are not easy to get in stock, but they do get stock sometimes, and check out that price: https://www.thomann.de/gb/akg_k_712_pro.htm (or https://www.thomannmusic.com/akg_k_712_pro.htm for the U.S. site). Full disclosure, I bought mine when the exchange rate was most favorable and the unit price at that time was so crazy on them, like $159 before shipping - one of the best headphone deals I've had in my life, because they sound so much better than other cans at that price point.

I would say rumors of their discontinuation are false!

I love these headphones, and I feel they deliver excellent sound quality at the price I paid with an overall very good frequency balance and a dynamite soundstage. Happy to have got a good deal for them and pleased if others do so as well.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 4:22 AM Post #6,291 of 6,349
The K712 was my first pair of high-end headphones. It was perfect for jazz, very airy sound, amazing soundstage. The only drawbacks were the built (it will eventually break, it's too fragile) and the bass is also a bit too lean for some genres. Otherwise, I think it's difficult to find a better pair of headphones with this budget.

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #6,292 of 6,349
I was searching for other information about them and came across numerous references to them on Headphone reddits and forums, even their Facebook page, suggesting that they were discontinued some years back - BUT, AKG does still list them on their web site and says they are in stock, though at $639 dollars I could have got at least three pair from Thomann for that and had some cash left over, before they went out of stock on them.

Happy to learn more and revise my impression, if anyone knows the scoop!

Today US AKG site
Bildschirmfoto 2023-04-28 um 14.07.41.png

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #6,293 of 6,349
I had already looked further into this, I even edited the post that you quoted to say so and made another post with details :)

The K712 was my first pair of high-end headphones. It was perfect for jazz, very airy sound, amazing soundstage. The only drawbacks were the built (it will eventually break, it's too fragile) and the bass is also a bit too lean for some genres. Otherwise, I think it's difficult to find a better pair of headphones with this budget.

I understand the impression that they are fragile, and certainly I'd say my Beyers and Sennheisers rate higher for sturdiness as far as I reckon things. But, I've had a set of Q701 since 2011 or so (identical build) and they've held up great through several moves and heavy usage. I did have to replace the pads, but that's standard on headphones after time, and the little elastic tensioners definitely wear out after years of heavy usage but can easily be functionally replaced by one rubber band on each side (granted, not the most aesthetic mod, hah, but they work perfectly).

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #6,294 of 6,349
The Audio Technica ATH AD900x and the 712pro are prices the same for me, Both are around the 280euro mark. Currently I have a pair of ATH-AD500, the purple gold model. They are getting a bit old. I don't think earpads are still made for these. So I was looking to buy something else. I use my headphone for gaming and youtube.

Any tips or on which one of these are best. My headphone are connected to a Wadia 12 DAC that is connected via optical SPdif to my computer.

May 25, 2023 at 7:32 PM Post #6,295 of 6,349
I haven't heard the AD900x but I previously owned the AD900 and prefer the 712pro. I found the AD900 to sound 'lightweight' and a bit boring.
However the k712pro will be significantly less sensitive to drive, so performance is more dependent on having a decent HP amp (doesn't need to be expensive, the K712pro sounds great with the cheap Topping DX3pro dac/amp).
If you need a headphone that can also be used with portable sources then I recommend the Drop HD58x - bargain priced at $150 IMO.

May 26, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #6,296 of 6,349
I haven't heard the AD900x but I previously owned the AD900 and prefer the 712pro. I found the AD900 to sound 'lightweight' and a bit boring.
However the k712pro will be significantly less sensitive to drive, so performance is more dependent on having a decent HP amp (doesn't need to be expensive, the K712pro sounds great with the cheap Topping DX3pro dac/amp).
If you need a headphone that can also be used with portable sources then I recommend the Drop HD58x - bargain priced at $150 IMO.
How is the 58x easier to drive if its sensitivity is 102 dB/V and K712 Pro has a sensitivity of 105 dB/V respectively?

Just curious how you ended up with your results, since K712 pro runs seemingly fine out of an apple usb-c dongle.

May 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #6,298 of 6,349
Thank you, this really helps.

May 27, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #6,299 of 6,349
How is the 58x easier to drive if its sensitivity is 102 dB/V and K712 Pro has a sensitivity of 105 dB/V respectively?

Just curious how you ended up with your results, since K712 pro runs seemingly fine out of an apple usb-c dongle.
Empirical results. I own both headphones and have used them on multiple sources including my phone, laptop, DX3 pro and Benchmark HPA4 among others.
The 58X plays notably louder for the same volume setting and sounds less compromised by weaker sources. Due to the impedance differences the K712 will draw more than twice the power for the same voltage. If the headphone sensitivities were rated in mW then the 58x would be 3-4dB more sensitive.
For reference I've found the K712 to have a similar loudness to my HD600 which Sennheiser spec at 97 dB (1 V).
FWIW from the DX3pro I often prefer the K712 for its more precise, explicitly detailed, punchy and spacious sound (more exciting) - but the somewhat more relaxed, fuller sound of the 58x is also appealing and probably more 'correct' and long term listenable.
I'm comparing both while typing this - they're quite different but I like whichever I'm listening to. :thinking:

Edit: I don't want to give the impression that the 58X is super sensitive - for example its nowhere near the sensitivity of the my K371 (AKG spec at 114 dB SPL/V), and I would rate that HP as very easy to drive. The AT headphones are also very easy to drive.

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #6,300 of 6,349
Empirical results. I own both headphones and have used them on multiple sources including my phone, laptop, DX3 pro and Benchmark HPA4 among others.
The 58X plays notably louder for the same volume setting and sounds less compromised by weaker sources. Due to the impedance differences the K712 will draw more than twice the power for the same voltage. If the headphone sensitivities were rated in mW then the 58x would be 3-4dB more sensitive.
For reference I've found the K712 to have a similar loudness to my HD600 which Sennheiser spec at 97 dB (1 V).
FWIW from the DX3pro I often prefer the K712 for its more precise, explicitly detailed, punchy and spacious sound (more exciting) - but the somewhat more relaxed, fuller sound of the 58x is also appealing and probably more 'correct' and long term listenable.
I'm comparing both while typing this - they're quite different but I like whichever I'm listening to. :thinking:

Edit: I don't want to give the impression that the 58X is super sensitive - for example its nowhere near the sensitivity of the my K371 (AKG spec at 114 dB SPL/V), and I would rate that HP as very easy to drive. The AT headphones are also very easy to drive.
Seems fair. Typically portable solutions are voltage limited and lower impedance is easier for them to drive, but I guess it totally depends on the equipment you use.

Thanks for the explanation, though, was very informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back