The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #3,256 of 6,349
I just joined to post my issue as well. My also has that rattling high-freq sound as well, but in the right ear cup. It's caused me soo many annoyances, becuase I listen to music like Nujabe's and I can sometimes hear it. Or when I play FPS games and there's low bass sounding explosions it also becomes noticeable. I'm going to send these back to Amazon and get another pair, in the "hopes" that it won't have this issue.

Really can't deal with how annoying it sounds when exposed to those bass sounds = /

Also that 60hz bass test, REALLY makes it obvious lol.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,257 of 6,349
Any advice on how to contact Hector Hernandez from the AKG service department without sending numerous emails and messages? I attempted to contact him via email & phone on Friday with no luck so far.

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3,259 of 6,349
The soundstage is not small on the 400. That's just so false on so many ways. First of all, the 400 is better depth in the soundstage and amazing imaging unlike many, many dynamics out there that spread out more to the sides and not so much out front and back. Second, the 400's soundstage is more rounded/circular, meaning more natural.

It's a decent soundstage. Not immediately amazing, and not congested and restrictive.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3,260 of 6,349
Small meaning in comparison to some other.. Like i also own ad700 which is not just wide but it's good in height too and it also has a good depth when running through fiio e17,compare to it he400 has only good depth but it just can't stand when compared in height and width ,the same reflects in gaming as i also use them primarily and mostly for gaming.

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #3,261 of 6,349
You're comparing the HE400 with a headphone that is basically unrivaled by anything but AKG 70x and HD800s in terms of soundstage. Pretty much EVERYTHING lacks in soundstage compared to the AD700. That will almost always tend to happen when you have a very open, dry, bright, bass light headphone.

Aug 25, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #3,262 of 6,349
Aug 25, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #3,263 of 6,349
You're comparing the HE400 with a headphone that is basically unrivaled by anything but AKG 70x and HD800s in terms of soundstage. Pretty much EVERYTHING lacks in soundstage compared to the AD700. That will almost always tend to happen when you have a very open, dry, bright, bass light headphone.

You are Right Mad Lust. Also I did a comparision of hours on specfically Bioshock for Soundstage for both He400 & Ad700. Surely the 700 is bigger in terms of wideness & height but it does'nt stand aginst the depth provided by He400. He400's depth is actually hard to point out initially due to less or almost no airyness but as you said the back/forth imaging of it is beautiful. Also He400 soundstage is much more Accurate & unexpectedly sound's actual directionality with their distance is completely perfect on He400 rather than Ad700 where sound is much more in your face though due to airyness many a time directionality is easy to percieve but the actual distance of diff. sounds & from where they are coming was much much better & true on he400. Am happy with the overall perfomance of he400 in this case though their overall soundstage may be less .Also using xonar dx as DAC it increases a bit . Hopefully I think Vali/Asgard may help it a bit more in terms of Soundstaging than Fiio-E17& also heard bifrost improves it a lot though dont know how much in comaprision to Xonar dx.

Aug 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #3,264 of 6,349
Still on the fence with my new K712s, they’re competing with the HD700s
smile.gif
, but I managed this last week to sell off my K701s w bass port mod, K501s, K240DFs, Senn HD580/600, and the Grado SR325is as I‘ve found IMHO the HD700s after 8 mths made them redundant in my collection, so now I'm down to just the 712s and the HD700s.

The next step was to make up a new cable for the AKGs as I really hate multiple connections. I’ll live with the mini XLR for now, (no need to do major surgery to get them balanced until I’m sure they’re here to stay), but the mini 1/8 to 1/4” had to go.  From experience multiple connections do affect electrical transference, highs could take on a bit of harshness and bass looses tautness so for now I’ve made up 5’ of Canare 4E6S 1205, the 1205 being a bit more supple than the 4E6S 605, 705 etc, the 4E6S is 4 wires plus ground so I allocated a pair to each side with the common braided ground, still a bit stiff but manageable.

Sound difference, I’ll let you know in a few days as the placebo effect is not to be dismissed.
But a revisit to Shriekback’s “Care’  from 1983, a great album for checking sibilance and bass extension and attack, with the stock cable there was a slight blurring of the higher frequencies with increased sibilance, that now appears to be improved which also helps image focus and depth by adding a bit more air to the otherwise 712s darker/warmer presentation. Bass also appears to be better defined having a tighter presence and delivery with less bloat, undefined upper bass has a habit of hanging around the ears and not placed properly in the sound field which the HD700s do extremely well, again these observations can be placebo kicking in, only long term listening will tell but overall I find myself grabbing for the HD700s less often.

Should note that the Shanling PH100 sitting atop the Bryston BHA-1 is a nice affordable class “A” amp with plenty of power that did justice, especially with the bass with all my the AKGs including the K501s and 240DFs.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #3,265 of 6,349
I returned my original ones (broken piece of something floating around in left earcup) and ordered more from Amazon. This time the right ear cup buzzed when there is any bass. Very Frusturating. I guess I'm going to start looking at other options

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #3,266 of 6,349
Nah it's cool, it basically sounds like you like the headphone, but the soundstage is totally different than you've heard in a headphone before and you're not used to it (yet!). It is different, I'd say you will get used to it and get addicted but I guess I can't guarantee that, lol!

Just to give an update. After using these for a while, I can safely say you are right on your assumptions, and might just be it for me now. I've been using these constantly, and I have to say, I absolutely love these for movies. Gaming is also fantastic, considering I don't really play FPS, but it does the combination of soundstage and defined bass so well for me to enjoy them for non-competitive gaming. Considering my usage, I'll be sticking with these for now (something I didn't expect to do back then)

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3,267 of 6,349
Well, I am extremely confused after mining this thread and the Q701 thread. For Jazz and Classical, which would you guys recommend (out of the K712 Pro, the 65th Anniversary, or the Q701), considering that price is not a factor in the comparison between these three?

Thank you very much in advance!

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #3,268 of 6,349
Well, I am extremely confused after mining this thread and the Q701 thread. For Jazz and Classical, which would you guys recommend (out of the K712 Pro, the 65th Anniversary, or the Q701), considering that price is not a factor in the comparison between these three?  

The K712 for at least the comfort! You do not want to experience the soreness that can result from AKG's bumped headbands on the prior K7xx models.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #3,269 of 6,349

Hi liu

Lived with the K701 for years, and from reading the Qs may be slightly more forgiving but very close the K701s and now have the K712s which are closer to the Annies. The former K/Q series have more apparent air but lack lower bass and body, the K712s (and I’ll assume the 65th Anniversary) are darker, tighter sound stage, with more depth of layering  and with a lot more bottom end, this is all mostly due to the denser, thicker ear cushions.
So basically two different sonic portrayals, I enjoyed the K701s a lot with classical and jazz but spending a good part of yesterday listening to a number of symphonies by Stravinsky and a few works  by Gyorgy Ligeti with the K712s , the added warmth and especially the body/ bass extension were appreciated and made listening that more rewarding, especially on crescendos. Ideally it would be nice to have these opposing traits combined and is what I get from my Sennheiser HD700s, but which to choose from the AKGs, the bass port mod ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/660408/reversible-akg-k701-bass-mod ) on my K701s gave me more bass without effecting its airy tonal character so one could go there with Q701s, but the mod does not approach the bass extension and impact affronted on the 712s but a nice compromise. Maybe one should just have a pair of both ears pads on hand and have your cake and eat it to when the need arises.
smile.gif

The review by NA Blur also sums up things quite nicely and mirror my own.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k712-pro/reviews/9482

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #3,270 of 6,349

The K712 for at least the comfort! You do not want to experience the soreness that can result from AKG's bumped headbands on the prior K7xx models.

Never had a problems with the bumps, hard head I guess
smile.gif
, but the fuzzy velour pads never seem to sit well (pun intended) with me, would be interesting if they used a similar material as is currently being used on the Sennheiser HD700/800s, which by far are the most comfortable phones I’ve worn, although the K812s appear to be a step in the right direction.
Still not sure if I prefered the coziness of the original softer K701s pads to the denser, harder, deeper K712 pads. though?
But comfort is almost a non issue if the sound is not to ones liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back