The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #5,311 of 6,349
I hope everyone is still enjoying their K712 Pro. This thread looks rather quiet lately. It is a great headphone. However, I ended up moving on to the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home a couple months ago. It ended up being the perfect upgrade. It just takes everything the AKG did, and goes up a full tier to the next level in sound quality. I gave the EQ I posted in this thread for the K712 Pro to the guy who bought my pair as well. He was totally impressed by the improvements.

Somehow after the arrival of the HD600s my K712's just collect dust. I came this close to selling them but I couldn't, somehow I can feel the bass better on the HD600s and the K712 sometimes sound grainier, looking to buy some LCD Xs in the future.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #5,312 of 6,349
This headphone journey is just so interesting at times. It is like an endless discovery in an attempt to find our own personal end point to which we feel we have finally found perfection. No matter what headphone I get, I find faults in everything. The DT770 Pro 250 Ohm was bloated and boomy in the bass, lacking mids, and had a piercing mid treble spike that was painful. The K612 Pro was harsh and grainy in the mids, and lacking refinement in the upper treble. The harsh 2kHz grain gave me a headache whenever I listened to it. The HD650 is too veiled, and missing detail in the upper registers. It also has a bit too much of a mid bass bloom. The K712 Pro does have a bit of the 2kHz grain, but it is maybe 1/10 of the amount that the K612 Pro has. It did not give me a headache at all. Once I put the EQ on the K712 Pro, it sounded extremely balanced throughout the frequency range. The DT880 Premium was a great headphone for its price, even though I ended up selling it. It is the only headphone I have owned so far that I did not end up needing to use an EQ on. It sounded correct right out of the box. The only thing it was missing was it lacked a tad in the sub bass region. I literally EQ every single headphone I end up getting, including the Amiron Home that I own now. I will say though, that the Amiron Home is by far the best headphone I have owned to date. Just like you though, I had a hard time selling the K712 Pro though.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #5,313 of 6,349
Regarding smaller head fit: I had my kid hanging around my working place. Eventually he borrowed my headphones and K712 fit him perfectly. His head circumference is around 53 cm (20,5"). Plastic tube wasn't used this time.

Regarding build quality: I have noticed some low end inconsistency on one side. Upon opening I found four loose screws (factory undertightened, I did not touch these while trying the bass port mod). The frame, cardan and driver went loose. I've gently retightened the screws and driver-to-baffle seal is perfect again.
BTW: if you manage to set a consistent air gap between driver and baffle you may achieve a bit more neutral higher midrange. However, low end response would be sacrificed a bit.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #5,314 of 6,349
My next upgrade will probably be the Hifiman HE-560 and in a few years maybe I will be able to save up for a Stax L700, which will likely be my last headphone purchase.

K712s are great and I won't sell them even after the upgrade. They were my first "love" when it comes to the audio equipment that I bought.

Apr 30, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #5,315 of 6,349
I don't anticipate getting rid of my K712 Pro, either, I enjoy having different headphones with different sound signatures and I don't have any other headphones that sound enough like the K712 for them to be redundant.

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #5,317 of 6,349
I truly do, one of the best headphones i've ever had and really underrated

May 1, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #5,318 of 6,349
I hope everyone is still enjoying their K712 Pro. This thread looks rather quiet lately. It is a great headphone. However, I ended up moving on to the Beyerdynamic Amiron Home a couple months ago. It ended up being the perfect upgrade. It just takes everything the AKG did, and goes up a full tier to the next level in sound quality. I gave the EQ I posted in this thread for the K712 Pro to the guy who bought my pair as well. He was totally impressed by the improvements.

To my ears the Amiron is more like a downgrade.

May 1, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #5,319 of 6,349
Somehow after the arrival of the HD600s my K712's just collect dust. I came this close to selling them but I couldn't, somehow I can feel the bass better on the HD600s and the K712 sometimes sound grainier, looking to buy some LCD Xs in the future.
Considering that my K712 Pros definitely sound a lot grainier than my HD 595 I'm sure that you aren't imagining it. It's a real problem and I can't really stand it. It's a non-issue on HD 595.

My K712 Pro is collecting dust because the mids just aren't there and treble is not very pleasant (and the graininess). Also comfort wise it's not perfect. I get headache after a while. I can wear and listen to my HD 595 without any ear fatigue or headache all day long. It just dissapears.

May 1, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #5,321 of 6,349
Can't be fixed though. EQin can't fix what's broken. It can mitigate the issue(s) but the problem is still there.

May 1, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #5,322 of 6,349
I don't anticipate getting rid of my K712 Pro, either, I enjoy having different headphones with different sound signatures and I don't have any other headphones that sound enough like the K712 for them to be redundant.
My same choice, i couldn't find the same sound signature and soundstage in any other HP

May 1, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #5,324 of 6,349
Hmmm. The grain comments are interesting. I don't know if this is a fault of the headphone though. At least it's likely not a detail problem.

I noticed some graininess while listening to "Bassline" by Mantronix (I described the sound of the hi-hats and claps in my mind as "sandy" and I thought my headphones were breaking or something) but that is far from a well recorded song. I think what I am in fact hearing is some sort of tape saturation combined with poor mixing. Modern songs don't really sound grainy at all. Highs are usually sparkly and detailed and mids sound really good despite the 1-2K bump.

May 1, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #5,325 of 6,349
To my ears the Amiron is more like a downgrade.

If you don't explain yourself, your comment here is pretty much useless.
Why do you think the Amiron is a downgrade relative to K712?

Considering that my K712 Pros definitely sound a lot grainier than my HD 595 I'm sure that you aren't imagining it. It's a real problem and I can't really stand it. It's a non-issue on HD 595.

My K712 Pro is collecting dust because the mids just aren't there and treble is not very pleasant (and the graininess). Also comfort wise it's not perfect. I get headache after a while. I can wear and listen to my HD 595 without any ear fatigue or headache all day long. It just dissapears.

Can't be fixed though. EQin can't fix what's broken. It can mitigate the issue(s) but the problem is still there.

1- What do you mean by grain?
2- Can you share a few songs that easily expose the 'grain' problem on K712 so other people here can try them too and share their views on the matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back