The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #5,251 of 6,349
Hi!

How is the K712 comfort for us with a small head? I tried a pair of AKG Q701 in a shop but they felt very big and almost fell off. It was a demo pair so they could have been used a lot. How are they compared to the K712?

At first I thought they were quite loose so I put zip ties on the sides and they clamped much more, almost double the clamp force. But now that the pads have been adjusting to the shape of my face they sit just fine without any zip ties. At first my ears touched the drivers but somehow they don't anymore, which is weird, because you will think an initially thicker pad would put your ears further from the driver. If your head is extremely small I would suggest the zip ties however.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #5,253 of 6,349
Current Setup: Computer -> Schiit Modi 2 Uber -> Schiit Vali 2 -> AKG K240 Studio (Guitar Center about 4 years ago, easier to drive version)

Musical Tastes -> Country, Classic Rock, Oldies, Jazz, some Classical, A capella, Rare but from time-to-time some EDM or Hip Hop

Sources -> All FLAC rips or from HD Tracks, quite a bit of "audiophile" streams (AAC, FLAC, MP3 at worst)

With that listed, I ran my K240 Studio's for years w/o a DAC let alone an AMP, just straight out of the headphone jack on either my computer(s) or AV receiver. I got that Schiit stack listed above & the performance was night & day, especially out of the PC headphone jacks. Will my experience going to a K712 provide this same type of improvement?

I'm an AKG fan, from what cans of theirs I have heard, I preferred it over the Sennheisers I have tried & own. I have plenty of cables for the AKG already, so that is pushing me towards it, but I can't deny the fact that a lot of people love the HD 600 as well. One experience I have had between the 2 manufacturers is binaural recordings, to me, seem better on AKG cans. I have Googled & searched but nothing came up in comparison with the 2. Pretty much it is K712 vs HD 600/650. A lot of that for sure. Thanks!

If you happen to be in the Chicagoland area & have a set of K712's I can listen to, I'll buy you a beer :)

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #5,254 of 6,349
Current Setup: Computer -> Schiit Modi 2 Uber -> Schiit Vali 2 -> AKG K240 Studio (Guitar Center about 4 years ago, easier to drive version)

Musical Tastes -> Country, Classic Rock, Oldies, Jazz, some Classical, A capella, Rare but from time-to-time some EDM or Hip Hop

Sources -> All FLAC rips or from HD Tracks, quite a bit of "audiophile" streams (AAC, FLAC, MP3 at worst)

With that listed, I ran my K240 Studio's for years w/o a DAC let alone an AMP, just straight out of the headphone jack on either my computer(s) or AV receiver. I got that Schiit stack listed above & the performance was night & day, especially out of the PC headphone jacks. Will my experience going to a K712 provide this same type of improvement?

I'm an AKG fan, from what cans of theirs I have heard, I preferred it over the Sennheisers I have tried & own. I have plenty of cables for the AKG already, so that is pushing me towards it, but I can't deny the fact that a lot of people love the HD 600 as well. One experience I have had between the 2 manufacturers is binaural recordings, to me, seem better on AKG cans. I have Googled & searched but nothing came up in comparison with the 2. Pretty much it is K712 vs HD 600/650. A lot of that for sure. Thanks!

If you happen to be in the Chicagoland area & have a set of K712's I can listen to, I'll buy you a beer :)

Well, obviously, the best way to know is to test with your own ears as you clearly realize and that's why you're offering that free beer to someone in your area who can make that happen... :p

But... just from memory (I have my K240 Studio here at home but my K712 Pro are at work), there is a definitely noticeable difference between the K240 Studio and the K712 Pro -- the K712 Pro are noticeably faster, cleaner, and have a bigger soundstage - in short, they're a tier above, at least to my ears.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #5,255 of 6,349
Well, obviously, the best way to know is to test with your own ears as you clearly realize and that's why you're offering that free beer to someone in your area who can make that happen... :p

But... just from memory (I have my K240 Studio here at home but my K712 Pro are at work), there is a definitely noticeable difference between the K240 Studio and the K712 Pro -- the K712 Pro are noticeably faster, cleaner, and have a bigger soundstage - in short, they're a tier above, at least to my ears.

Yeah, I was kind of expecting that. Nobody from the Chicago area has bitten yet :D Crazy thing, if you want to demo cans here, you are either looking at $1000+ ones at dedicated hifi shops, or whatever Best Buy has. I think they are pushing their version of Grado. At least that's what the ones I saw back in the BB dungeon looked like. That or Beats, but I am 43, not 13...44...damn these years are flying by now.

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #5,257 of 6,349
OK, pulled the trigger. They will be here Wednesday from Amazon...$238.77 shipped via Prime with my points, plus I get 5% back. Yeah, couldn't pass that up. Thanks!

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5,259 of 6,349
Oh my, what a steal !!!!
About the only reason I stick with Prime & picked up their Amazon Prime Credit card. Get those points & really good discounts. Right now, 15% extra off on Sennheiser products, so I almost pulled the trigger on the HD600s, but I don't feel like making yet another custom cable for something different. I have about 10 different cables to pick from with the AKG 3-pin mini xlr (which some people hate, but I love mini-xlr for some reason).

Got your EQ settings too to put into ALSA to play with eventually! Thanks!

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #5,260 of 6,349
OK, pulled the trigger. They will be here Wednesday from Amazon...$238.77 shipped via Prime with my points, plus I get 5% back. Yeah, couldn't pass that up. Thanks!

That is indeed a great price! I got mine for $228 last year but that was on eBay and from China, and who knows if I got a warranty. :D But they definitely were brand new and authentic, and I was okay with taking a risk... but Amazon is a smarter way to go. :)

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #5,261 of 6,349
That is indeed a great price! I got mine for $228 last year but that was on eBay and from China, and who knows if I got a warranty. :D But they definitely were brand new and authentic, and I was okay with taking a risk... but Amazon is a smarter way to go. :)
Yeah, I only use eBay if I am going for Chinese goods (some Sanwu class d amps for like $5/ea).

Feb 5, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #5,262 of 6,349
Ohhhhh, another one jumping into my EQ. :p You will be super happy with this headphone. It is great sounding for the money. It is also very comfortable. Just give the pads about a week or so to break in. Some people find they cause a bit of itching to your skin during the first week or so of use. The same thing happened to me. Once they break in a bit that goes away.

Edit: Just wait until you try my EQ. It makes this headphone sound even better.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #5,263 of 6,349
I put similar pads recently on to my K240 Studios, so maybe that will help. But yeah, with the memory foam velour I did itch & was like "these things suck" at first. 2 weeks in, yeah, AMAZING! Yeah, one thing I love about AKG, besides their soundstage (I played that binaural knocking recording years ago and it scared the living crap out of me. I thought someone was knocking on my window when I first did it), is their fit. I have a decent sizez noggin that does not like to be squeezed. My Sennheisers used to give me that hat head ache until I bent the hell out of them.

Feb 7, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #5,265 of 6,349
Yes, waiting is always torture. It is even worse when it says "on vehicle for delivery", and you wait all day, but it ever shows up. Then you look at the tracking online, and the status gets changed to it now being delivered the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back