The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,156 of 6,349
Hey guys, I just ordered a sound blaster x7 as I do a lot of gaming on my pc and ps4 as well as listen to a lot of music. In buying this I've been doing a lot of research on headphones and am looking to upgrade my ad700s in the future as my next investment. From everything I've been reading the k712s seem to be one if the top headphones under 1000 let alone my probably 300 budget.

Bassically I'm wondering if I do decide to go with these in the near future, will my x7 be enough to power and take full advantage of them without going out and spending more money on separate dacs and amps etc? These look like exactly what is be looking for in a upgrade over my current headphones, more fuller sounds and bass while still providing very good sound stage for gaming it really sounds like the perfect all in one headphone for me and want to make sure I will be able to make the most out of it if I go this route.

Dec 8, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #4,157 of 6,349
X7 will work great, output power is ~1200mW into 32 ohms IIRC, so you'll have plenty of power. I hear the DAC is great, too.

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #4,158 of 6,349
Hi guys I am thinking about buying these headphones but I am unsure if my amp will be OK. I have an old Rotel RA-930AX and the only info I can find about the headphone stage is that its 8 - 2,000ohm. Does anyone know if there is anything to look out for on the amp itself that will tell me if it is suitable? Thanks

Dec 15, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4,159 of 6,349
Hello every K712 owners.
Recently I found a not bad combination for K712 - HRT Music Streamer II+ & Little Dot I+.
I think it is not the best one, but it still have 80%.
http://i.imgur.com/NJLxCAz.jpg

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #4,160 of 6,349
It might have been asked before, but anyone have any tips on cleaning the earpads? I just bought a used K712 and it arrived with the earpads looking relatively filthy. I used my standard pseudo-"cleaning" technique of using packing tape to get the majority of the gunk off, but I'm wondering if the earpads are washable or if anyone has any non-standard cleaning tips....
wink.gif

Oh and btw, Amazon has the K712 for $315 right now (a few other reputable marketplace sellers are matching that as well): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4WXWBE/

Camel* also showed that Amazon had the K712 for just $288 last week on 12/9, dang did anyone grab a set at that price? http://camelcamelcamel.com/AKG-Over-Ear-Mastering-Reference-Headphones/product/B00E4WXWBE

Dec 19, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #4,161 of 6,349
  It might have been asked before, but anyone have any tips on cleaning the earpads? I just bought a used K712 and it arrived with the earpads looking relatively filthy. I used my standard pseudo-"cleaning" technique of using packing tape to get the majority of the gunk off, but I'm wondering if the earpads are washable or if anyone has any non-standard cleaning tips....
wink.gif

Oh and btw, Amazon has the K712 for $315 right now (a few other reputable marketplace sellers are matching that as well): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E4WXWBE/

Camel* also showed that Amazon had the K712 for just $288 last week on 12/9, dang did anyone grab a set at that price? http://camelcamelcamel.com/AKG-Over-Ear-Mastering-Reference-Headphones/product/B00E4WXWBE

Do not use any type of cleaner directly on them, it will ruin the texture of the material - I have a bald spot where I tried.  

I put mine in some warm water with washing powder, Ariel leaves them with a nice smell. Remember not to make the water too hot, there seems to be a thin materiel glued on the inside of the pads and the heat will melt the glue, mine have come loose a little. 

If I'm not mistaken the inside is memory type foam so you're just washing the black covering material. Give them a few squeezes to get the dirt out and dry them.

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #4,162 of 6,349
On older AKG's, I've cleaned the pads while still on the headphone. Damp cloth and in one case, tiny amount of soap. I've found that too much dunking in water makes them a bit soft and they eventually collapse.

You have to be quite gentle with them.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #4,163 of 6,349
wink.gif

I'd whip up a little dish soap and water to create foam and then dab that on the pads with a sponge.  Avoid rubbing and too much water. Good luck and may the force be with you !

Dec 29, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,166 of 6,349
Just got my K712. Reminds me HD600 alot so far, really great with acoustic and jazz, great sounding piano. Probably trumps X2 here. Very clean highs and sweet midrange, tight bass. X2 trumps it with heavy stuff, though -- progressive death metal / alternative and such. K712 is very decent with those, but somewhat sterile. Everything as I expected, so I think I'd leave them both for their respective genres.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #4,168 of 6,349
The 712 is almost half price off on Amazon and am considering it but don't want to get another amp. I have the O2 and wanted to know if it's a good pairing. The one criticism that stands out is that the 712 is very finicky with amps.

Also, what's the consensus on comfort? I currently have the Nighthawk and the comfort is really nice. I also have the HD598 and have no complaints because of its light weight. The X2 wasn't comfortable for me. Just trying to provide a frame of reference for what I consider comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back