The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #3,437 of 6,347
The audioengine D1 definitely is more polite in the upper registers as compared to my Little Dot Dac1. I just did about an hour session so will see if my ears feel stressed.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,438 of 6,347

That probably matches my experience with the K712s driven by the Lyr.  No low gain for me, and plenty of upper-mid/lower treble energy.  Wasn't always a bad thing.  I couldn't do more than one album without taking a break, and they did make me want to turn it up.  Do you think you could do longer sessions with them on low gain?

Still selling mine, btw 
biggrin.gif

I know the Lyr 2 sounds a bit different than the Lyr, but they do share some characteristics. It isn't always a bad thing it is really fun to listen to at times. They have that problem of wanting you to crank the volume up. Oddly low gain seems to sate that weird urge of cranking the volume up and the treble has less edge, the entire sound characteristic changes a bit as it relaxes a bit and becomes rather gentle on the ears. Even when I crank up the volume the treble takes a step back and the treble dynamics aren't overbearing, bass dynamics come more to life instead. Due to better controlled dynamics, the headphone sounds clearer, cleaner, and more transparent. I can listen to them all day like this, it switches from hyper mode to chill mode so to speak. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,439 of 6,347
  I know the Lyr 2 sounds a bit different than the Lyr, but they do share some characteristics. It isn't always a bad thing it is really fun to listen to at times. They have that problem of wanting you to crank the volume up. Oddly low gain seems to sate that weird urge of cranking the volume up and the treble has less edge, the entire sound characteristic changes a bit as it relaxes a bit and becomes rather gentle on the ears. Even when I crank up the volume the treble takes a step back and the treble dynamics aren't overbearing, bass dynamics come more to life instead. Due to better controlled dynamics, the headphone sounds clearer, cleaner, and more transparent. I can listen to them all day like this, it switches from hyper mode to chill mode so to speak. 

Thanks, kman.  Maybe I should pull them out of the box and try them with my C5 portable on both gain settings, just for schiits and grins.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #3,440 of 6,347
I have been letting my pair burn every day so they have about 60hrs or so on them so far. By Wednesday I should have a C5 I will be reviewing and you can bet the K712 will be one of the most tested headphones during that process :)

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3,441 of 6,347

Thanks, kman.  Maybe I should pull them out of the box and try them with my C5 portable on both gain settings, just for schiits and grins.

I have been letting my pair burn every day so they have about 60hrs or so on them so far. By Wednesday I should have a C5 I will be reviewing and you can bet the K712 will be one of the most tested headphones during that process :)

In each case, Cayin C5 or JDS C5?

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #3,442 of 6,347
I will be testing the Cayin C5

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,447 of 6,347
Also, if possible, a brief bit about how it pairs with the HE-500 would be most welcome!

I don't use the JDS Labs C5 much, as most of my listening is in The Lab with the Stack o' Schiit.  That said, I did try the C5 with the HE-500s and HE-560s.  I was pleasantly surprised with the HE-500s.  I'd tried a previous pair, but didn't think much of them.  They went belly up, got a replacement, measure the impedance at around 33-34 ohms, then gave them a try.  Got more than enough volume without distortion, on both low and high gain, IIRC.  Now, I didn't do tons of testing, probably didn't listen to really quiet stuff, but what I heard made me think I could use the C5 in a pinch.

Not so much with the HE-560s.  They are less efficient, power hungry beasts.  Not at HE-6 levels, from what I've read, but they do seem to enjoy a fair amount of current.

Not sure I'll get around to listening to the K712s again.  They're boxed up, I'm hoping to sell, and I'll be pretty busy the next few weeks.  If it helps, the C5 drives the Q701s just fine.

I normally run my C5 hooked up to the line out of a Rockbox'd iPod Classic.

HTH.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #3,448 of 6,347

I don't use the JDS Labs C5 much, as most of my listening is in The Lab with the Stack o' Schiit.  That said, I did try the C5 with the HE-500s and HE-560s.  I was pleasantly surprised with the HE-500s.  I'd tried a previous pair, but didn't think much of them.  They went belly up, got a replacement, measure the impedance at around 33-34 ohms, then gave them a try.  Got more than enough volume without distortion, on both low and high gain, IIRC.  Now, I didn't do tons of testing, probably didn't listen to really quiet stuff, but what I heard made me think I could use the C5 in a pinch.

Not so much with the HE-560s.  They are less efficient, power hungry beasts.  Not at HE-6 levels, from what I've read, but they do seem to enjoy a fair amount of current.

Not sure I'll get around to listening to the K712s again.  They're boxed up, I'm hoping to sell, and I'll be pretty busy the next few weeks.  If it helps, the C5 drives the Q701s just fine.

I normally run my C5 hooked up to the line out of a Rockbox'd iPod Classic.

HTH.

I haven't heard the HE-560 yet personally. I will listen to them eventually. Not sure if they are my style or not, can't tell until you listen to them. I did hear both the HE-500 and the HE-6. A well-driven HE-6 is something to behold though and is one of the best headphones I've ever heard. It's a little on the aggressive side though.

The K712 took a while for it to become my favorite, I liked it less than the K612 for about 3 weeks of moderate to heavy listening. Then all of a sudden I liked them much more than any other headphone I have owned. The HD 600 has been a headphone that's been slow to warm up to as well for me. I am considering a portable amp eventually so I need to do some research, especially since I am mainly eyeing the Sony MDR-Z7 as my next headphone. Though I am considering the HE-500(which seems to dropped to $500 new) and a few others. 

Some reason I get the feeling the Lyr 2 doesn't quite sound right regardless of the tubes I tried. I'm not sure if it's bad dac amp synergy or if I don't like it's presentation much.

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #3,449 of 6,347
I found out exactly how to get the K712 to my liking. I feel they are normally lacking a little bit in the dynamic range at my listening levels so I put the amp on low gain, turned the volume up to 4 'o clock as some reason the dynamics really kick in at that point on low gain on my Lyr 2, especially the bass. Then I turn my dacs volume down to around 60% which causes the listening to be around 70-75 db average depending on the song with a greater dynamic range. Basically keep the amps volume high while toning down the source/dac volume, it will keep those dynamics kicking without being too loud. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #3,450 of 6,347
 I found out exactly how to get the K712 to my liking. I feel they are normally lacking a little bit in the dynamic range at my listening levels so I put the amp on low gain, turned the volume up to 4 'o clock as some reason the dynamics really kick in at that point on low gain on my Lyr 2, especially the bass. Then I turn my dacs volume down to around 60% which causes the listening to be around 70-75 db average depending on the song with a greater dynamic range. Basically keep the amps volume high while toning down the source/dac volume, it will keep those dynamics kicking without being too loud. 

It goes to show that these headphones require lots of current just like what I discovered too. I also have my Meridian explorer volume output 80/100 but the volume mixer is only around 6! It gives full range sound without the need for excessive volume like yours :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back