The AKG K701 - Friend or Foe - Mods that may help others
Feb 26, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this does allow more bass output, wouldn't cutting the current ring do similar?

You wouldn't then be able to return the phones back to their original state - which perhaps would lower their resale value (that is if you ever wanted to get rid of them).

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emooze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this translate well to the k702? Being nearly identical I would hope so.

I believe so. I have seen the K702 in person but I didn't remove the pads. It looks like the parts for this product are exactly the same as the K701 except for the part that allows cable entry on the left side.

Edit: I'm going to try this tonight. I'm curious and a 100% reversible mod is too tempting not to try when it's this inexpensive.

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 133
702 is exactly the same - I haven't seen 701 but your pictures and description match exactly what I have.

The question is, what exactly is this material and where can I buy it?

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #21 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
702 is exactly the same - I haven't seen 701 but your pictures and description match exactly what I have.

The question is, what exactly is this material and where can I buy it?

To answer the multiple questions in regards to orientation, material, and why I don't use the stock foam rings. Here they are.

1. The orientation of the new material and cut out to which direction specified in the thumbnails? Using the left driver as reference, I placed the 3/4-ring cut-out where the cut-out is pointing where a person's mouth would be. I find that this direction allows many of the intricate details of this headphone to be presented without any of the brittleness, brightness, and harshness associated. Hope that helps.

What is the material and where to get it? As described in the first post of this thread, it is a type of spongy cloth, close to a synthetic chamois, which can be purchased at auto stores, Walmart, and some of those places that sell household cleaning cloths. Microfiber doesn't quite work seeing that it doesn't actually cut anything out except the lower frequencies (tested).

How come the stock foam rings were used with the modification specified? As so mentioned by another member in this forum, it would defeat the purposes to return to the original unmodified state if the selling of the headphones in the future plans. As for use with the mod, it would not make any real sense to use the foams unless you an extra set laying around. I find that the stock foam do help however in channeling many of the directional frequencies (normally mid to high range) to the ear itself. Without the ring, the sound-stage is very airy, however would be very messy and exceptionally harsh sounding. Hope this helps.

Got to go back work. Thanks again for supporting this thread. Have a great day and weekend
k701smile.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to try this tonight. I'm curious and a 100% reversible mod is too tempting not to try when it's this inexpensive.

Please post your impressions. I love the everything about the K701, except the absence of bass. If I could figure out a relatively easy way to give it the bass that my HD650 has, I'd be very happy.

I'd be interested in knowing what kind of improvement you think it makes to the bass response of the K701, and what it does to the top end. Frankly, the K701 is not at all harsh to me, so I don't want to give up too much high freq. response.
regular_smile .gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #23 of 133
OK,

Trying it now. It does increase low end rumble/boominess but looses detail at the lowest ends. I'll give it a few days and go back to the originals.

The slot goes toward the mouth (front).

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK,

Trying it now. It does increase low end rumble/boominess but looses detail at the lowest ends. I'll give it a few days and go back to the originals.

The slot goes toward the mouth (front).

Try placing another material where the 1/4 piece of the chamois is missing. Perhaps something like lycra (double the thickness) to see if that brings back a bit of the tautness the original foam pieces give to the bass while not totally reverting to the original state of affairs.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #26 of 133
OK. Now I see what my mod is creating. The material used was purchased in Germany, however the equivalent material would be the synthetic type chamois rather than the real chamois hide. I have tried using lycra or other materials including the original stock foams on top of the modification that I have applied. The thin 1/16th" material with the ring hole 1" in diameter coupled with the 1/4" ring cut-out with that opening pointing downward toward a person's mouth when wearing the headphones (if that makes any sense. Hard to describe orientation) so basically I have finally figured out the exact placement and orientation of the cloth pieces where many of the original details presented by these headphones are maintained without the harshness factor.

Again I hope this helps in the matter. The AKG K701 headphones are excellent in every musical regard. This mod does bring a bit of warmth to originally a very dry and bright headphone. Take care and have a great weekend.

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #27 of 133
Can't wait to try this but I will have to get some Shamwow on the way home from work. Shamwow may be too thick.

Feb 28, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #28 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to try this but I will have to get some Shamwow on the way home from work. Shamwow may be too thick.

And if you are listening on a hot day and start to sweat too much, the Shamwow will soak up the sweat and keep it off the drivers.
k701smile.gif

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 133
I think I have the material you show in your mod. My wife got this terricloth like material to wipe water from pets and don't use it. Spinali had a thread on this as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/akg...p-pads-215072/

I have also been listening with both the original ring and the mod piece. Later today, I will take out the mod piece and see what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back