The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Mar 22, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #1,306 of 2,841
Because many people have discovered that the AKG K550s sound quite different depending on how they are positioned front to back; it's not just about getting a good seal. For instance, people have repeatedly stated that positioning the headband farther forward in a way that is counter intuitive to how most headphones are worn was necessary to get good sound.

So yeah. I would suspect more complicated than you realized, or why make such a statement for a headphone that it is clear that is finicky in fit.

I've read the entire thread. How do you know I haven't tried alternate positioning? The positioning, as described here, is mostly driven by the seal. Yes, very complicated.

Is this for real?

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #1,307 of 2,841
I've read the entire thread. How do you know I haven't tried alternate positioning? The positioning, as described here, is mostly driven by the seal. Yes, very complicated.

Is this for real?

As you trolling me? I already explained myself. The answer to your questions are in my previous two replies :rolleyes:

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #1,309 of 2,841
As you trolling me? I already explained myself. The answer to your questions are in my previous two replies :rolleyes:

You're the one who started and continued to post to me, not the other way around. I'm glad you like your 550s. I think they're rather uneventful. What else is there to say?

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,311 of 2,841

This is NOT a double blind test, the sample size is not statistically significant, and the computer screen could be reflecting the image of the headphones.

Yeah, and the guy placing the headphones on Tyll's head is whispering, "white".

cool.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,313 of 2,841
  For some reason the double blind standard exists.
Inadvertent and involuntary cues get transmitted. 

I think you are taking that video too seriously.  Tyll did not set out to create a scientific experiment to definitively prove that burn-in exists.  

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,314 of 2,841

I think you are taking that video too seriously.  Tyll did not set out to create a scientific experiment to definitively prove that burn-in exists.  

They actually claim in the video they are performing a double blind test. So they do worst.
They make it look just scientific enough to seem credible, and end up promoting an opinion which is supported by false beliefs, when if fact their test has no statistic relevance.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #1,315 of 2,841
Mar 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,317 of 2,841
Mar 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,318 of 2,841
Break-in isn't caused by heat, it's the suspension loosening up due to the forces applied to it.

The suspension, and the spider for that matter, which headphones either don't have or have in much less stiff forms that don't need to be broken-in like woofers' suspensions and spiders.

There's also melt off and evaporation of excess glue and solder flux which are caused by heat. Headphones don't do this; they don't get anywhere near warm enough. Loudspeakers can get warm enough for glue and flux evaporation, especially woofers like the ones in the article that you referenced.

Everything deteriorates over time. That's the nature of the universe. Accelerated deterioration of voice coil drivers, however, is relative to the energies imparted. The energies imparted to a headphone driver are literally orders of magnitude less than the energies imparted to a subwoofer driver. An easy to drive headphone like K550 draws about 0.09 mW nominal. The 3" woofer under my desk draws about 5 W nominal while a 6" woofer can easily draw 40-60 W nominal. Regardless, a good design with good materials will take 10-20 years of operation to noticeably deteriorate.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #1,320 of 2,841
Please take the break-in/burn-in debate over to the appropriate threads or IM, if you don't mind. While a lot of us are genuinely interested in it, it doesn't belong in this thread, and probably is not useful for members trying to find actual listening and usability impressions for the AKG K550 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back