The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Feb 27, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,216 of 2,849
Oh yeah to clarify, I don't think they're warm sounding either... More like neutral, but slightly warm sounding. So as such, they are warm, but not that much :wink:

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #1,217 of 2,849
I haven't read this entire thread but it appears I'm one of the lucky ones (I have a big head - size 59 hats) as these are absolutely perfect in comfort to me. 4 hours, no problem. As I never listen for longer than that in 1 go I'm fine. What I have found is that I prefer the sound through my Fiio X3 than through my Asus Xonar DS sound card. I suspect that's because the Xonar also goes through the amp in my creative speakers.

While in the middle of this post, I've tested the theory by switching to the X3 in DAC mode and it definitely sounds better, more defined. The Xonar/creative pairing is a little muddy.

With the X3 the sound is exactly what I was looking for. I'm thinking of getting an ODAC and O2 for the computer later this year which should still give me what I want maybe with a little EQ to warm it up a bit and just use the X3 for portable use. I'll see how it goes. 

While I'm here, I'd like to say thanks to all those who reviewed and commented on these phones. It was a lot of help in narrowing down my choices and the listening test was almost a formality. Very happy with them.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #1,218 of 2,849
I completely forgot to mention the best bit.

£109.95

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,219 of 2,849
Hello All,
I wanted to ask if you guys think this could be a good closed back headphone for me. I am an audiophile that is getting into headphones and really enjoying it. I have a big head 7 5/8" baseball cap. I have several pairs of headphones now (all open) but wanted to experience a good closed back. My favorite headphone right now is my Audio Technica ATH-AD900's that sound excellent to me with textured detail and great imaging. I listen to acoustic guitar and female vocals mostly but also enjoy fusion jazz and even some prog metal. I have SS and tube amps (see signature) and listen critically in my home, never outside or at work. Listening is like a therapy for me, a way to relax and wind down after a long day of work. Also all my headphones have velour pads and I was a little worried about the AKG pads. I am a larger type human that produces quit a bit of heat all on my own. Anyway please give me your feedback as I've come to rely on the fantastic community of headphiles here on Head-Fi. thanks
smile.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #1,220 of 2,849
I would urge you to look at the / have a test listen to the Grado's range - 80 / 325 etc etc
I quite like these headphones BUT they are no where near audiophile quality. They are enjoyable and great for their current price
I think though the size and fit may be quite appropriote for you from what you have said. 
Depnds which is more inportant to you Audiophile quality or comfort/fit

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,221 of 2,849
I would urge you to look at the / have a test listen to the Grado's range - 80 / 325 etc etc
I quite like these headphones BUT they are no where near audiophile quality. They are enjoyable and great for their current price

There are many Grado fans that would strongly disagree with that statement (me being one of them).

But that's a moot point. CADCAM is looking for "closed" headphones.

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,222 of 2,849
didn't see the closed bit :)
K550 = Audiophile - very funny :D 

Mar 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,223 of 2,849
Mar 2, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #1,225 of 2,849
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but for me Audiophile means, in essence, being as true to the source as possible and you just wont find that for under $500 never mind $100  We may well have different ideas of what the term means but  if you compare the K550 up against what i would refer to as 'Audiophile Headphones' such as Beyerdynamic Tesla T5p, Sennheiser HD 800, LCD-3, Audeze, Grado PS1000, HiFiMAN HE-6  then I couldn't in any good conscience call the K550 'Audiophile quality' headphones.
They are fun headphones but . . . :) 

Mar 2, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,226 of 2,849
Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but for me Audiophile means, in essence, being as true to the source as possible and you just wont find that for under $500 never mind $100  

"True to the source" with headphones or speakers is really a state of perfection that one can never reach. Besides, when it comes to headphones, most people couldn't tell if it was an accurate reproduction or not unless they are musicians with the ability to pick out perfect pitch, or experienced audio engineers. And to me it's a meaningless phrase anyway. The "source" is the music when it was played not the recording. The recording has been mixed and mastered--filtered by a human being. It's a facsimile, like a painting or photograph.

So certainly, there are audiophiles that are obsessed with some ideal of accuracy that may never be realized. Must be frustrating. And there rest of us audiophiles are interested in what sounds good, which is a purely subjective listening experience which puts the gavel of judgement in the hands of the listener, not what someone else tells us it should be or how much we should spend. Come join us. It's more fun :)

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #1,227 of 2,849
"True to the source" with headphones or speakers is really a state of perfection that one can never reach. Besides, when it comes to headphones, most people couldn't tell if it was an accurate reproduction or not unless they are musicians with the ability to pick out perfect pitch, or experienced audio engineers. And to me it's a meaningless phrase anyway. The "source" is the music when it was played not the recording. The recording has been mixed and mastered--filtered by a human being. It's a facsimile, like a painting or photograph.

So certainly, there are audiophiles that are obsessed with some ideal of accuracy that may never be realized. Must be frustrating. And there rest of us audiophiles are interested in what sounds good, which is a purely subjective listening experience which puts the gavel of judgement in the hands of the listener, not what someone else tells us it should be or how much we should spend. Come join us. It's more fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, as an Audio Engineer I understand [and agree] very much with what your saying. Jeez, all Im saying is that these sub $100 cans can not really be labelled as audiophile + the guy asked for an opinion so i gave one! They are advertised as 'Reference headphones' - Do you have any thoughts what this actually means? - I personally wouldn't use them for 'reference' [in so much as how i would use headphones for referenceing audio in the studio?] as they colour the audio too much. 
I do find them  a very interesting sound though :) i do like them.
Sometimes i listen to music for fun, in which case they are great but if I want to listen to music that is exceptional in its recording/mixing or engineering or if they are 'HiRez' then I use other 'phones.
They have a very nice warm clarity but they are let down [for my ears only!] by too much excitment,warmth, and an overbearing mid-bass although I wouldn't call this a fault more a unique quality.
I do take all your points but I do have and have had phones that express the audio in a way which I find quite faithful to the original. I mean if Im listening to Bach's Cello Concerto there are phones out there that have the capacity for you to hear so much, the woodiness of the instrument be it soft or hard, . . .  I could go on for ages :D 
Its funny I love all the aspects of the 'audiophile' world - how much joy and pleasure one can get from hearing music through superb headphones and a great rig...but Im not one of those obsessed ones you mention. I feel lucky to have found the sound that I like and am satisfied, I don't feel the need to look elsewhere (luckily, its hardly a cheap hobby!!)
Can I join you now?...please x

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #1,228 of 2,849
  Sorry, didn't mean to be rude, but for me Audiophile means, in essence, being as true to the source as possible and you just wont find that for under $500 never mind $100  We may well have different ideas of what the term means but  if you compare the K550 up against what i would refer to as 'Audiophile Headphones' such as Beyerdynamic Tesla T5p, Sennheiser HD 800, LCD-3, Audeze, Grado PS1000, HiFiMAN HE-6  then I couldn't in any good conscience call the K550 'Audiophile quality' headphones.
They are fun headphones but . . . :) 

What you are saying then is that there were no audiophile headphones available until three or four years ago...since back in the dark ages (before 2010) most headphones used to go for under $500 (K701, HD650, DT880).  

The HE500 might sell for under $500 now that the new models are out...does that mean that they will not be  'Audiophile quality' anymore?   Perhaps they were never audiophile headphones in the first place since they were not used by many audio engineers and "Reference Headphones" was not printed all over the retail box.

This game is all about diminishing returns.  The difference between something like the T5p and the K550 is not night and day.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #1,229 of 2,849
What you are saying then is that there were no audiophile headphones available until three or four years ago...since back in the dark ages (before 2010) most headphones used to go for under $500 (K701, HD650, DT880).  

The HE500 might sell for under $500 now that the new models are out...does that mean that they will not be  'Audiophile quality' anymore?   Perhaps they were never audiophile headphones in the first place since they were not used by many audio engineers and "Reference Headphones" was not printed all over the retail box.

This game is all about diminishing returns.  The difference between something like the T5p and the K550 is not night and day.

I completely agree. Categorizing audiophile-quality headphones as only $500 or higher is a rather arbitrary, especially today when quite a few good headphones can be found around $300. The K550 is a very good and fairly neutral for it's price and for a closed headphone. It is one of the least colored headphones I have ever used.

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,230 of 2,849
ALL im saying is i dont think you can class the 550's as audiophile quality. That's all I wanted to say really - Forums are so easy to be misunderstood and to get ones intended meaning across.
please don't take anything I say here as overly literal, I was trying to make a point using exaggerated extremes - sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back