The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
May 11, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #466 of 2,849
Maybe if I heard the 550's before the A900X's I would appreciate them more. But my can history is

Beats Studio --> M50 --> A900X --> K550

The only reason I haven't returned these cans is:

1. I can't. I got em on eBay for $165 new. I made an offer and the seller took it lol. 
2. They look pretty nice, and these will probably be my portable can upgrade (from my M50's) once I send these to get modded in order to enable a removable cord
3. They are comfortable as hell. If there are cans that are more comfortable, that wouldn't mean anything to me since I wouldn't know what to do with that additional comfort. I've kept these on for 8 hours straight and thought nothing of it. I get discomfort with the A900X's after ~3-4 hours

May 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #467 of 2,849
Quote:
A900x is a wonderful headphone. Just got one last week. $148 new, Amazon. It's got the lot....bass extension, openness, clarity, smooth mids and highs. No glaring faults.

But the K550 does sound very nice...

The AT wings. I wish they were removable so I could fit a proper headband on them.

May 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #469 of 2,849
Can we please revert back to discussing SQ instead of aesthetics? I get it, we all get it - the wings aren't optimal for everyone. 

May 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #471 of 2,849
Sorry, my post is probably a little selfish. It's not like you guys were claiming to directly respond to my post, anyway. You can discuss whatever you like.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I agree - the K550's are substantially better in regards to comfort. But I'm starting to get the impression that this is an unfair card that is being played when SQ is compared between the two, even though it is irrelevant in the topic of SQ altogether.

I would take 4 hours of 7/10 comfort with 8.5/10 SQ
vs 8 hours of 8.5/10 comfort with 6.5/10 SQ

May 12, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #472 of 2,849
I've found that the K550 is heavy enough that after a few hours of wear I get a little sore spot on the top of my head... up till then it's very comfortable.

May 12, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #474 of 2,849
Quote:
Maybe if I heard the 550's before the A900X's I would appreciate them more. But my can history is

Beats Studio --> M50 --> A900X --> K550

The only reason I haven't returned these cans is:

1. I can't. I got em on eBay for $165 new. I made an offer and the seller took it lol. 
2. They look pretty nice, and these will probably be my portable can upgrade (from my M50's) once I send these to get modded in order to enable a removable cord
3. They are comfortable as hell. If there are cans that are more comfortable, that wouldn't mean anything to me since I wouldn't know what to do with that additional comfort. I've kept these on for 8 hours straight and thought nothing of it. I get discomfort with the A900X's after ~3-4 hours

Interesting how the confort varies so much from person to person. I've heard some people say they find the A900x more confortable than k550

May 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #475 of 2,849
these prices are mind bogglingly cheap! do you know if they (munedoelectro and german amazon) ship overseas? mundoelectro website has an 'english' language option which doesn't seem to do anything.. still in spanish.. 

I understood enough spanish on the site yo realize that they did not ship outside of europe, sadly. However, you can buy from amazon.es (spain) and ship to the US for 150 or so Euro, if you cant get a better new price elsewhere.

May 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #476 of 2,849
I've found that the K550 is heavy enough that after a few hours of wear I get a little sore spot on the top of my head... up till then it's very comfortable.

That probably wouldn't be an issue with better padding. The padding on the earcups is great, but the padding on the headband is very thin.

Try bending the headband to contour better to your head. The steel is very flexible and will not break. If you don't distribute the pressure properly, you may end up with a sore spot. Also, thin padding won't be noticeable if the entire headband is in contact with your head. Its likr 2-3 newtons over 20 sq cm.

May 13, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #479 of 2,849
Quote:
A900x is a wonderful headphone. Just got one last week. $148 new, Amazon. It's got the lot....bass extension, openness, clarity, smooth mids and highs. No glaring faults.

But the K550 does sound very nice...

K550 is for Treble-Head (lol). I love the treble on some recordings but for a good portion of my library, K550 is too bright.
A tube amplifier might control the hot treble a little. It is also bass shy. If you like listening to light jazz/vocal with soft bass,
K550 is perfect for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back