The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread!
Mar 22, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #2,011 of 2,849
I was at one point thinking of getting the M50s over these. In ways, I am pleased that I didn't. At times though, I fell like I wish I had got them instead. I don't actually know how the sound compares really. I use the K550s as portable headphones most of the time. They seem to really lack bass when I am on the move in a bus or similar transport. I like their detail but I feel like the M50s may have suited me better here. They are also more handy by the look of it as they have a coiled audio cable which I would have loved on the K550s.

At home though, if I am not wanting to disturb anybody with my open backed AT ATH-AD700s, I use my K550s and the bass is really good in a quiet place. Very deep and clear. The detail is also very good for a closed back pair. I feel like the M50s would be no good at all for me for at home listening as I assume their detail and soundstage is nowhere close to the K550s.

I can't be sure, but I somehow think that the M50s could have suited me better when travelling as I have to boost the bass on my FiiO X3 up by quite a lot with my K550s to notice the bass at times.
I think that overall the K550s will have been the better choice if I am after a really wide soundstage in a closed back pair.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #2,012 of 2,849
I paid $300 for mine quite a while back. Worth every penny. At today's prices it's a steal.

They can hang with my LCD-XC, of course not as refined but that's expected for their class. Great headphone.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #2,013 of 2,849
If anyone's interested, the K553 Pro just launched on Massdrop for an incredibly reasonable $139.99. Perhaps this thread should be merged with the K553 Pro for impressions/comparisons?

Mar 26, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #2,014 of 2,849
Does anyone know what's the difference between K553 and K550?

Mar 26, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,015 of 2,849
Just bought mine used for under $100 last week. Lots of minor paint fades but the pads are still in excellent shape. There wasn't enough clamping force so I had to bend them excessively to make a difference. Stuffed the pads with some tissue paper and that helped a little more but lost some low end bass. Ended up taking the tissues out. Press the cups against your ears and you'll hear depth to the bass. You could hear the very lows rumble.

I only have the Mikros 90, M50s, and DT770/80 to refer to, but in my opinion, these are way better than the M50s and on par with the DT770 depending on your taste. I enjoy the DT770 more because of its fuller sound. The sound also feels more distant to my ears so it makes things more dramatic. I wouldn't mind mixing with the K550s since I believe they're more accurate and have better seperation. I'm not used to the sparkle these give on certain songs yet. Sounds somewhat too sharp. They're still a bit of an upgrade to the DT770 in the high-mids to highs. I would only buy the M50s if they're under $70 used. In terms of comfort, I'd rate them 8/10, the DT770 9/10, and the M50s 4-5/10. I wished the other two had a coiled cable like the M50s though.

I'm waiting for my Shure 1540 to arrive. I'm hoping they would be like fusing the DT770 and K550 into one and if so, I'm selling both. :D

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #2,016 of 2,849
If anyone's interested, the K553 Pro just launched on Massdrop for an incredibly reasonable $139.99. Perhaps this thread should be merged with the K553 Pro for impressions/comparisons?

Yep. Very good price: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone :)

Based on this review, seems like they have improved a bit on the K550 in positive ways: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760386/new-release-the-akg-k553-pro-featuring-a-killer-massdrop-deal

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #2,017 of 2,849
A commentor in the Massdrop discussion (page 2) wrote "Just a heads up. I have the K550 close to 2 years now and [...] the rubber like coating material on them (on the body of the cans) has deteriorated." Photos are included. Anyone else had this experience?

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #2,018 of 2,849
A commentor in the Massdrop discussion (page 2) wrote "Just a heads up. I have the K550 close to 2 years now and [...] the rubber like coating material on them (on the body of the cans) has deteriorated." Photos are included. Anyone else had this experience?

I heard somewhere that the K550s had this issue. I think AKG prevented this from hapening qiute recently with a newer model of the K550s. I think thay are no different other than the paint or whatever it is. I have seen other people say that this happened with the older K550s so I think that is why AKG did somthging about it. I could be wrong though but I feel I have seen this problem mentioned elsewhere.

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #2,019 of 2,849

Got a link to those pics? massdrop just wants me to sign up. won't bother.

i'v had K550 for a long time too and the rubbery plastic coating is just fine on the cans. its the metal coating on the corners of the headband that is gone :p

Mar 28, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #2,020 of 2,849

i'v had K550 for a long time too and the rubbery plastic coating is just fine on the cans. its the metal coating on the corners of the headband that is gone :p

Link to the drop was in the post above mine. I don't think it's possible to link to that particular comment, so I've grabbed the pics and inserted them below. Hopefully the OP won't mind.

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,022 of 2,849

Didn't you guys read my whole post? LOL

This link I posted above is to a review which shows pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760386/new-release-the-akg-k553-pro-featuring-a-killer-massdrop-deal

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #2,023 of 2,849
Didn't you guys read my whole post? LOL

This link I posted above is to a review which shows pictures: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760386/new-release-the-akg-k553-pro-featuring-a-killer-massdrop-deal

The problem with the rubbery coating may depend on where you live. Here in Brazil I have a similar problem with all kinds of equipment that uses this type of plastic or rubber--including my K550s. I believe it is because I live in a hot, humid climate close to the ocean (hence, salt in the air). I've had this problem with everything from remote controls to cameras to computer mice. I have the same headphones in Canada, where I spend part of the year. They do not exhibit this problem. I have participated in many discussions about this problem in technology forums, and the consensus seems to be that in many cases it does have something to do with climate.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,024 of 2,849
My K550 earpads are gone (foam disc cover material kind of riping apart on the right side and a bit on the left side, despite not so intense use. As I live by the sea I suspect of intense air humidity, but I´m not so sure what may have caused it.).

Anyway, can you tell me where should I find the original (or better) replacement parts for both earpads?

Thanx in advance.

Carlos

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #2,025 of 2,849
There's a thread discussing K550 pad replacement here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/617884/akg-k550-alternate-ear-pads

FWIW, the Mr Speakers Dog Pads fit. See my photos and impressions in the above thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back