The Agony Of Choice Denon AH-D5000 or AH-D7000
Apr 4, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannymax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was thinking of going grado, but the only thing that has put me off is that some people have said they can be uncomfortable too.

The cheaper Grados can be uncomfortable, but the RS1i to me isn't at all uncomfortable. They are super light and the cups swivel more to fit on the ear better than the lower models. And they just so happen to be the ultimate rock phones, so the RS1i is a win-win. But that's just my opinion of course.

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cheaper Grados can be uncomfortable, but the RS1i to me isn't at all uncomfortable. They are super light and the cups swivel more to fit on the ear better than the lower models. And they just so happen to be the ultimate rock phones, so the RS1i is a win-win. But that's just my opinion of course.

Mine too!

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:16 AM Post #48 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by parskey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it depends on what you like I for example have decided not to markl my phones because I really like the bass impact and the sound of the phones as they are.

I'd just like to say that the MarkL modded cans actually have MORE bass impact than the stock. It doesn't feel like the cans are actually booming on your head, because the slight vibrations they cause are eliminated (you can feel these on the stock cans if you put your hand on the top of the headband at a reasonable listening volume), but the actual hard hitting quality of the bass is much stronger.

Apr 5, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would recommend saving your money and just picking up the D5000s, because if you're like me, down the road you will begin to wonder maybe I should have picked up the D7000s, then you'll end up listing your D5000s for sale (at a loss) to help you finance your new purchase.
tongue_smile.gif

This is one of the best sales pitches I've read in a long time
biggrin.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am sure RS1i`s are much more comfortable than 325i`s but I have to say I got used to my 325i, at first I though they were the most uncomfortable headphones ever but now I enjoy them alot, specially with rock
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #51 of 71
Well guys, again, thanks for your recommendations, think i may bite the bullet tonight and order some new phones, the AH-D7000 sounds like the phone that's gonna be the one, however, was looking at the ATH-W1000, these look interesting too, anyone had any experience with these cans? for me, they look really comfy and being totally bald, comfort is now quite a big issue.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #52 of 71
don't know the ATH-W1000,sorry. but if you go on the D7000 i would definitely skip on the modded versions and get the stock one. if you want you can upgrade in the future so you don't commit yourself right from the start. anyway,from my experience with the D5000 you will probably don't want to mod the D7000.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway,from my experience with the D5000 you will probably don't want to mod the D7000.

But you didn't even hear them modded as you claim... so why misleading? I can say that from my exprience with the D5000, After modding them I think they had the most complete sound that i heared off any phone, overall. You get an all in-one package that truly delievers. I only sold them cause i found the W5000's more euphonic, And couldn't keep both. I fairly miss 'em on occasion.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #54 of 71
I find the d5000 fairly neutral and not colored as some say,their Bass is powerful and can be too much some times but it doesn't bother me.What really bothers me is their recessed midrange.Sometimes you want them to attack you with vocals but that doesn't happen,the vocals are in the centre of my brain,never forward.

To the OP,if d7000 have the same recessed mids as d5000,then I think you should look somewhere else for a rock CAN and listen to what others say about grado.I know that d7000 look stunning and that's what attracted me to d5000,but don't make your decision based on looks,their looks will become ordinary to you after some time.what matters the most is SQ.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you didn't even hear them modded as you claim... so why misleading? I can say that from my exprience with the D5000, After modding them I think they had the most complete sound that i heared off any phone, overall. You get an all in-one package that truly delievers. I only sold them cause i found the W5000's more euphonic, And couldn't keep both. I fairly miss 'em on occasion.

I didn't mean to mislead...sorry if it sounded like that. anyway,like I stated before I advised the OP not to commit to the mod because there is a REALLY GREAT chance he would like the unmodded version, and if he wants he can mod them later.
the D5000 sound right to me except for very minor issues (that don't come out all the time anyway) and the D7000 seem to improve those issues. since the OP don't know the denons yet,I advised him to try the unmoded version first.
except,just from reading tons of reviews on the MD5000 and 7000 i pretty much got how they sound and I personally didn't go for the mod thanks to those reviews, and I don't regret it one bit.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #56 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the d5000 fairly neutral and not colored as some say,their Bass is powerful and can be too much some times but it doesn't bother me.What really bothers me is their recessed midrange.Sometimes you want them to attack you with vocals but that doesn't happen,the vocals are in the centre of my brain,never forward.

To the OP,if d7000 have the same recessed mids as d5000,then I think you should look somewhere else for a rock CAN and listen to what others say about grado.

I do agree that the denons have a slightly recessed midrange,but to me it is really a good thing with them. the slightly "behind the scenes" mids is right for rock/metal recordings that already have an Accentuated mids to begin with... anyway,on my setup the mids are just very SLIGHTLY recessed, and if I would not to know other headphones with more farward midrange I would probably not judge the denons' midrange at all.
I think that from all headphones,the coloured ones are the ones need the most neutral system the most in order not to sound more coloured than they already are.
in general,the D5000 sound right to me also.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #57 of 71
^^headroom's amps are not that neutral,they are warm with some emphasise on bass and their highs are not crisp or airy as it should be,but the synergy with hd650 was awesame for me.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #58 of 71
Quote:

^^headroom's amps are not that neutral,they are warm with some emphasise on bass and their highs are not crisp or airy as it should be,but the synergy with hd650 was awesame for me.

perhaps the headroom amps are not the most neutral from all, but I can tell you, both from my experience and from reviews and opinions also,that they are very neutral. and,as we can agree that "neutral" is a very subjective issue (and there is no 100% neutral anyway) than I would definitely say that the headroom gear is perfectly neutral sounding to my ears. the highs are very much crisp and airy (even too much sometimes) the HD650 even sound a tiny bit bass shy on my headroom system IMO.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #59 of 71
wow,bass shy with headroom amp?switch the crossfeed on and hd650 will change into d5000 bass but it will become very warm and veiled.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

To the OP,if d7000 have the same recessed mids as d5000,then I think you should look somewhere else for a rock CAN and listen to what others say about grado.I know that d7000 look stunning and that's what attracted me to d5000,but don't make your decision based on looks,their looks will become ordinary to you after some time.what matters the most is SQ.

I am not to bothered about how any headphone looks within reason, most of my listening will be at home, SQ is important to me, also comfort, am listening to my K702's at the moment and have had to put a sock across their ridiculous headband to stop the pain they cause to my bald head lol.

This is the first time i've tried this and it has stopped the pain on my head, interestingly, i have a weird feeling in the forehead/bridge of my nose, sort of a fizzing feeling from the sound these phones are producing, whatever frequency they transmit, they really don't agree with me physically, have never had this from any other phone? Don't want to get grados, although other members say the RS1i is really comfy, however, lots of members say the K702 is one of the most comfortable headphones they ever have worn, for me it's the most uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back