The Affordable & Awesome Sounding HiSound Audio RoCoo P (Review)
Mar 31, 2012 at 12:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus

Here we go again with yet another HiSound Audio review, instead this time we’re taking a look at their new RoCoo P digital audio player. Without getting into specifics and going on and on with a fancy and engaging intro, I’d rather just get straight down to the basics. The RoCoo P is one of the best sounding digital audio players I’ve heard to date, and it has an amazing price point to match the performance. So, without any further ado, let’s take a deeper look at the all new RoCoo P.

The Design
Before I even begin to discuss the sound in the RoCoo P, I feel as if though there have been a few design changes that will excite a lot of people looking for a DAP or even an upgrade from the Studio-V. The Studio-V had a very thick chassis, and was very uncomfortable to hold in the hands due to the massive weight and the rather sharp bezel. I think HiSound noticed that this was very unsatisfactory to most people (including myself) and decided to go with an even simpler design. Now, the RoCoo P is half the thickness of the Studio-V, about a third of the weight, and feels a lot more robust in the hand. The same high quality aluminum chassis, and a new screen that seems to be more smooth than what the Studio-V ever was. 

The RoCoo P has the same basic controls as the Studio-V, with a few minute changes. Both the USB port and the micro SD card slot are exactly the same, so nothing new there. As we move up however, there are different buttons. While they are metal, they’re not the same color and feel as the Studio-V. The RoCoo P’s buttons are more circular, flatter, have more of a silver tone, and are a lot smoother when navigating. Lastly, HiSound has removed the line in connection on the RoCoo P and uses only a regular headphone input and a reset button, and both are not drilled like the Studio-V. A slight downside, but still almost as good as the Studio-V when quality is concerned, and the RoCoo P triumphs the Studio-V when it comes to versatility and aesthetics.

Sound Analysis
Now that we have all the basics down, it’s time to finally talk about the sound that this little player is capable of outputting. Before we get to that though, let’s discuss what I didn’t like about the Studio-V and what I thought should have been improved on. In a nutshell, the Studio-V had great vocality, a slightly uptempo top end, and a fantastic transient response, but the $450 price point did not match the sonics performance, which was about half of what it was actually worth. The RoCoo P doesn’t even come close to that statement. It absolutely dominates the Studio-V when sonic performance is concerned, and it’s less than half the price!

The RoCoo P’s sonic signature is very neutral, but has tremendous extension on both ends of the sound spectrum. It reaches far down low, and has an even faster transient response than that of the Studio-V. Bass wise, it has a good amount of authority, decent punch, and a slight laid back feel. Not overpowering, but just what I like. Also, I’ve found that while the attack of the RoCoo P is very fast, notes tend to take slightly longer to decay, which adds a tiny bit of coloration to the midrange, but very little. Still very speedy down low, but not equal speeds in attack and decay times.

The midrange of the RoCoo P is absolutely to die for. Slightly sweet, but very clear and resolved. It’s neither lush not harsh, but sits right in between both of these terms. Vocality, just like on the Studio-V, is top notch, and presents itself in a very forward manner. Never edgy, but very liquid like, with awesome coherency to the rest of the instruments. I find the midrange to stick out a little more than rest of the spectrum, not as laid back as the bass, but more forward, and a little bit brighter than the treble. That’s not to say that the treble is underdeveloped, because it isn’t at all.

Actually, that’s one of my favorite attributes of the RoCoo P. Up top, the treble is very smooth. There’s almost no sibilance to be found, and while it does seem to take on a rather smooth feel up top, when a track calls for a cymbal crash or zing, the RoCoo P does a great job of replicating it, and can become quite sparkly. Not the annoying, harsh treble, but the sweet, sparkly, and well extended treble. Also, the soundstage on the RoCoo P is very good considering its price point. Depth extension (this is what I was talking about when I said awesome vocality) is absolutely fantastic, and is very noticeable on headphones like the HD650 and the HD800. Width is exceedingly well handed as well, and stretches out far and wide. Not unrealistically wide, like the Q701, but just enough. Imaging and layering are excellent as well. I feel as if though everything is appropriately placed on stage, and each instrument has enough space to play out nicely. 

Driving Authority
The RoCoo P, despite its small size, actually has some pretty good authority behind it when it comes to driving high impedance and current guzzling headphones. Headphones like the Sennhesier HD650 and the AKG Q701. The RoCoo P drives both of these very well, and while it doesn’t equal the sound  and driving surge of $500+ desktop amps and DAC’s, it can drive even the most demanding headphones (except orthodynamics like the HE-6) very well, and has good sound quality to boast.

Final Thoughts
While I’ve had bad experiences in the past with HiSound, I’m feeling a new and brighter horizon coming up. HiSound has taken their great design philosophy, and combined it with absolutely fantastic sound, something you don’t see very often. As long as they keep up what they are doing, I can see a very bright future ahead, as well as a plethora of new products. The RoCoo P is earning a new place on my rack, and will fit perfectly into my lifestyle.

Mar 31, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 7
I received mine yesterday.

I've gone through SO many DAPs, iems, and headphones of the past several years.  I wanted something powerful enough to properly drive over ear headphones for my commute.  I got excited about the Amp3 by hisoundaudio, but sadly it could not deliver.  I moved on to the Cowon D2 which was much better, but I found myself always messing with the EQ for different albums.  It just didn't quite have what I wanted.  It seemed to lack real "oomph" on a lot of my favorite tunes..  So, I purchased some expensive IEM's.  Westone UM3x's  which sounded terrific, although a little too clinical.  And then there's the fact that they're IEM's, and jammed into my ear canal.  Not good for me in the long term..  I just wasn't happy!  I wanted to wear real headphones, for comfort and convenience, and most of all for natural full sounding bass, and a detailed well rounded mid range which is very important to me.

Moved on, again..  to the original Hisoundaudio Studio 1.  Great sounding player, but I found it only slightly more powerful with my ATH Esw9's..   It drove them well, but on the train I just couldn't get enough power in them to compete well with the clammering ambient noises around me.  Great sound for home use, but not for my needs on buses and trains.  I used that combo for several months anyway, but eventually I had to go back to my D2.  It just drove my headphones a little better.

I thought maybe there was just a more efficient headphone out there, and after searching forum after forum, and reading review after review,  I found the ATH Ws55..  The sound with the Cowon D2 was incredible with Dub Techno and Reggae, Downtempo etc...  which is what I listen to on the go.  I felt I was ALMOST there!  The sound was almost perfect, just a slight bit thin on albums that were mastered at lower volumes, and using the D2 equalizer all the time to compensate was getting old.   I continued my search.....

That's when I read about the new Rocoo P..   Initially I was skeptical, because I owned the ORIGINAL Rocoo, which was a small, very cheap simple DAP.  The Rocoo P I discovered, had little in common with that device.

Long story shortened, after about 10 years of searching for the perfect headphone/dap combination, I have definitely found it!  It's the Rocoo P, with the Audio Technica WS55...  Absolutely PERFECT with techno and Reggae.  I can't imagine in the foreseeable future wanting anything else.   Rich full lows, that are tight and controlled.  Crisp clear highs that sparkle at the right moments.  Detailed and powerful midrange, which to me are the true strength of this player I believe.   

Anyways, I'm done.

Mar 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 7
Ah, yes. I had the original Studio-V from HiSound Audio and I thought it's performance didn't live up to the price point. Totally changed with the RoCoo P.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes.  Hisound truly knocked it WAY out of the park with this one.  I hope it catches on..  I may even purchase a back up player.  I love it that much..  I wonder if I can get a spare battery?  If in case years down the road the battery fails.  I want this thing in my life for a long time.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 7
"In a nutshell, the Studio-V had great vocality, a slightly uptempo top end, and a fantastic transient response"

confused.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow, a very nice review! I actually was planning to get Studio V, but your words have made me to think about this purchase again. Could I ask you a question? If we just forget about the price would you still prefer Rocoo P over Studio V? I am really confused now because I can get either Rocoo P for free or Studio V for USD180. What should I do?
confused.gif

Apr 1, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
"In a nutshell, the Studio-V had great vocality, a slightly uptempo top end, and a fantastic transient response"

confused.gif

What are you confused about? The Studio-V had forward, lush vocals, a brighter treble, and very speedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back