'Thanks button' at Head-Fi
Oct 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dex85

100+ Head-Fier
hi,

i wasn't sure where this thread belong, so i'm posting here. i was wondering if it was worth a consideration (or technically possible) to add a 'Thanks' button to every post at Head-Fi so it would be visible who is thanking whom.
there are people (minority but still) that like to say thanks after being helped. mentioned button is much quicker than writing a new post with quotation and it could reduce number of posts. same system is used at AVforum.com

thanks for consideration

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 25
reminds me of slickdeals and their "rep points"

not a bad consideration, but i already see problems arising...

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
reminds me of slickdeals and their "rep points"

not a bad consideration, but i already see problems arising...

This. Not sure what problems uraflit has in mind, but I'm thinking every person asking for help will be swarmed in recommendations from people who don't necessarily know what they're talking about just hoping to get some of those karma points. Helping someone could become a competitive sport.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. Not sure what problems uraflit has in mind, but I'm thinking every person asking for help will be swarmed in recommendations from people who don't necessarily know what they're talking about just hoping to get some of those karma points. Helping someone could become a competitive sport.

it doesn't have to be about karma points. it doesn't even have to show how many thanks have you received in your profile. what i had in mind that person that helped someone will see the 'Thanks' under his post from that person. simply a save of time.

maybe i'm just lazy but i wished for that button countless times here when writing thanking posts. hit one button and you are done with it.

Oct 31, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 25
How about a sub-forum for appreciation threads dedicated to certain members? That way you can separate the "Guy recommended me some great amp choices" from "Guy said fart six times in a sentence LOL" comments. (I've seen forums where d-bags and trolls had high thanks points cause other idiots adored them) Though I do see possibilities of abuse, member alienation, and me praising myself in my me-started thread.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 25
I think there should be a "scotch" button... so that every time someone clicks on it, a glass of scotch is sent directly to me, wherever I may be at the moment.

I can't think of any possible problems with this idea.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well you easily thank yourself to death

Thank you, Kirosia.

See? If we had a "scotch" button, you would have a glass in front of you right now... someone needs to get to work on this, pronto.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #11 of 25
I personally see merit in a "thank you" button, or a thing you click on a member's post that shows you benefitted from their post in some way. That at least would provide more information on a member's inherent value to the community than the current post count figure. I believe diyaudio has a similar system.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 25
Bad%20Idea%20Jeans.jpg

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 25
Aw, I don't see why it's a bad idea. I see the potential abuses, but it's still a sweet idea. It's nice to see people thinking of other way to say thanks, albeit "lazy" ways. Nothing really wrong with making it easier to express gratitude.

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it doesn't have to be about karma points. it doesn't even have to show how many thanks have you received in your profile. what i had in mind that person that helped someone will see the 'Thanks' under his post from that person. simply a save of time.

maybe i'm just lazy but i wished for that button countless times here when writing thanking posts. hit one button and you are done with it.

I don't think it's that difficult to write a post simply saying "thanks" if someone really did help you out.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the concept of saying thanks personally, but in the way stated here that feature just doesn't seem worth implementing. I may be in the minority, though, and I'm ok with that.

Now, if it were a system that kept track of the number of thanks you've received and that would supplement post count, that's a different matter. However, that would also be far more open to abuse and would also put the forum on a slippery slope to self-moderation. I'd then wonder why we don't have a way of marking a useless post and removing a point. There's certainly a user or two I've run into recently who'd be on a long road downhill if that were implemented...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back