TGXEAR discussion thread.
Nov 1, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #242 of 1,869

Take a look at the graph of the Fiio FF3. If you guys look at the bass end of this graph. How does that make any sense. The whole reason to even consider getting an FF3 is for its fun bass. I saw this graph when I was doing a review for these and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. The way buds measure and the way IEMs measure seem to be completely different altogether. Can't really judge a bud based on its graph that is for certain. believe me the FF3 sounds nothing like what that graph here shows.
Is it so earbuds and iems measured with totally different equipment?

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #243 of 1,869

They are all local mountains. Only climbed up Tantalus and Black Tusk but hopefully Alpha next year.
True "summit fi"!

EDIT: Finally ordered a Serratus. My expectation is that this will smash out of the park my clean/open set, and I'll use Serial (or even settle for something cheaper like the OG Fan or something) for high isolation/bassier.

I already have so much fun with my Riku Grand Archer set when I'm at work and need something open enough to hear people knocking or entering. That's the reason I put them on, but then I always happily keep them on.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #245 of 1,869
Couldn't make up my mind on which ones to get so ordered all three! Never used earbuds before so this will be interesting! I sold all my TOTL gear recently, so only have the BTR7 to use as source, hopefully that works!

See how it goes, you might be very satisfied. What I find with the Alpha, and by extension the less sensitive Tantalus, the more power you give it the better. It improves in nearly all domains, especially in bass, midrange clarity and soundstage. There are more powerful dongles out there and these sets definitely deserve spoiling.

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #246 of 1,869
See how it goes, you might be very satisfied. What I find with the Alpha, and by extension the less sensitive Tantalus, the more power you give it the better. It improves in nearly all domains, especially in bass, midrange clarity and soundstage. There are more powerful dongles out there and these sets definitely deserve spoiling.
Ofcourse, I'll take it case by case and see how it sounds with the btr7. Else I'm happy to buy a more powerful portable amp for it. If these sound as good as Turii Ti I just got, I'll be mighty impressed!!

Nov 1, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #247 of 1,869
True "summit fi"!

EDIT: Finally ordered a Serratus. My expectation is that this will smash out of the park my clean/open set, and I'll use Serial (or even settle for something cheaper like the OG Fan or something) for high isolation/bassier.

I already have so much fun with my Riku Grand Archer set when I'm at work and need something open enough to hear people knocking or entering. That's the reason I put them on, but then I always happily keep them on.
Grand Archer is like one of the best buy in my audio hobby. The first is Yinman 600 ohms. Hope I have enough money for alpha some day

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #248 of 1,869
Couldn't make up my mind on which ones to get so ordered all three! Never used earbuds before so this will be interesting! I sold all my TOTL gear recently, so only have the BTR7 to use as source, hopefully that works!
Hey my friend! Haven't seen you around much (which might be more down to me not being around much 😜). How have you been? That must have been some sale because I remember you had a lot of excellent gear.

Haven't heard the others, but I have just been settling down with the Serratus and those have really impressed me. First time I have a secure fit with earbuds, for one. 😅 Mostly I have been very impressed by the presentation and the tonality. It is early days yet, but these are in a considerable step up from the other earbuds I have heard, so I expect you will enjoy them. I do drive them with the Shanling M8 and EarMen Angel, so pretty powerful sources.

Nov 1, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #249 of 1,869
Hey my friend! Haven't seen you around much (which might be more down to me not being around much 😜). How have you been? That must have been some sale because I remember you had a lot of excellent gear.

Haven't heard the others, but I have just been settling down with the Serratus and those have really impressed me. First time I have a secure fit with earbuds, for one. 😅 Mostly I have been very impressed by the presentation and the tonality. It is early days yet, but these are in a considerable step up from the other earbuds I have heard, so I expect you will enjoy them. I do drive them with the Shanling M8 and EarMen Angel, so pretty powerful sources.
Hey Erik, nice to see you! Yeah I got a bit burnt down with the chase even after having quite a few TOTLs, didn't like the feeling, also they are pretty overpriced if you ask me!

That's good to know, been reading all the impressions of the earbuds and I have high hopes now! If it turns out to require power, I might get the gryphon, I have moved on from DAPs now!!

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #250 of 1,869
Hey Erik, nice to see you! Yeah I got a bit burnt down with the chase even after having quite a few TOTLs, didn't like the feeling, also they are pretty overpriced if you ask me!

That's good to know, been reading all the impressions of the earbuds and I have high hopes now! If it turns out to require power, I might get the gryphon, I have moved on from DAPs now!!

I got the chance to try out the ifi GO Bar with my TGXears and it's a very strong candidate for a portable dac/amp dongle for high impedance buds. The Alpha has plenty of volume but the GO Bar being a somewhat smoother source, with its Cirrus chip, struggles to make what is already a smooth listen shine, imo. It is a great match for the Serratus and really powers it to its full potential.

Then you just have to wrestle with the cost of it vs the Gryphon which isn't too far away. I need to listen to the Gryphon though. I wouldn't buy it blind as ifi leans to the warmer side in general (the GO Bar possibly being one of the exceptions being reasonably neutral imo).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #251 of 1,869
I got the chance to try out the ifi GO Bar with my TGXears and it's a very strong candidate for a portable dac/amp dongle for high impedance buds. The Alpha has plenty of volume but the GO Bar being a somewhat smoother source, with its Cirrus chip, struggles to make what is already a smooth listen shine for imo. It is a great match for the Serratus and really powers it to its full potential.

Then you just have to wrestle with the cost of it vs the Gryphon which isn't too far away. I need to listen to the Gryphon though. I wouldn't buy it blind as Ifi leans to the warmer side in general (the GO Bar possibly being one of the exceptions which is reasonably neutral imo).
Then BTR7 seems like a good candidate? It's definitely not warm but very neutral.

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #252 of 1,869
I can confirm tis a great match up with the Serratus.
1667324834219.png

Nov 1, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #254 of 1,869
Review pics 101. Rule number 1! Never take pics with tips and foams on. With high def photos nothing says your pro like a bunch of ear wax and flakes on your bud foams.

I seen so many reviews of IEMs where folks keep their tips on the IEMs they have been using and they get that one shot where the IEMs looks fantastic and you get a clump of wax all over the tip holes. Lol. Don't know if thats just me but who wants to see that?

I don't have wax issues per se I clean out my ears often. But that is something I have always kinda cringed at.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #255 of 1,869
Then BTR7 seems like a good candidate? It's definitely not warm but very neutral.

Having not heard the BTR7 I can't say for certain. However, my preference with the Serratus is a warmer source and I think Alpha is complimented by more neutral / brighter chains. It's all down to taste. Just be willing to experiment if you're left looking for more (as money allows) because I've found their character changes quite dramatically by source/amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back