TF10 remold or UM Mage?
Sep 14, 2010 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

darknessproz

100+ Head-Fier
I just bought my pair of used TF10s and the upgrade bug has bitten me again. 
confused_face.gif

So for my next set of IEM purchase, i will be going for a custom IEM.

The 3 options i'm considering so far is this.

1) Remold the TF10s into a 6 driver custom. $620 not including artwork.

2) UM Aero. $628 not including artwork.

3) UM Mage. $768 not including artwork.

All prices are in SGD.

So any thoughts on which would be better? Preferably from someone which owns at least 2 of these. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 25
I have none of the options above - but I do have a 4 driver TF10.  I just feel the need to comment, because the last two times I saw a thread like this - the thread starter was discouraged from the TF10 upgrade path because the result must "sound like a frankenstein experiment from a company unfamiliar with the TF10 hardware".  That came from someone who had never heard a Unique Melody earphone.

I've got to say, I love my 4 driver TF10.  The added mid driver was a huge improvement in terms of detail and balance.  Probably the only thing that suffered was soundstage - because on a stock TF10, the mids (often described as veiled) appear to have been placed behind the instruments.  Now, the vocals are just as close as everything else - and I feel like I get a soundstage more akin to a bar concert.

Overall - I've been very happy over my purchase.   I've enjoyed listening to these custom iems over the last 8 months.

Sep 15, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 25
I have gone through such threads and i know what you mean. 
beerchug.gif

So do you prefer the TF10 sound quality, or the sound quality of the remolded phones?

Quote:
I have none of the options above - but I do have a 4 driver TF10.  I just feel the need to comment, because the last two times I saw a thread like this - the thread starter was discouraged from the TF10 upgrade path because the result must "sound like a frankenstein experiment from a company unfamiliar with the TF10 hardware".  That came from someone who had never heard a Unique Melody earphone.

I've got to say, I love my 4 driver TF10.  The added mid driver was a huge improvement in terms of detail and balance.  Probably the only thing that suffered was soundstage - because on a stock TF10, the mids (often described as veiled) appear to have been placed behind the instruments.  Now, the vocals are just as close as everything else - and I feel like I get a soundstage more akin to a bar concert.

Overall - I've been very happy over my purchase.   I've enjoyed listening to these custom iems over the last 8 months.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 25
Anway, at the moment i'm leaning towards just remolding the TF10s without any addition of drivers, than getting another Aero or Mage once i've saved up enough. Any more comments on adding a mid driver to the TFs, not sure if its really worth the price..

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #5 of 25
620 for tf10 reshell and 628 for 3 driver? Sell your tf10 and get aero in that case.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 25
620 is for remolding the TF10s into 6 driver customs. Any thoughts on the Aero/Mage signature compared to the TF10s? I really LOVE their sound, but getting a good seal is a PITA.

Quote:
620 for tf10 reshell and 628 for 3 driver? Sell your tf10 and get aero in that case.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 25

If I didn't make it clear, I much prefer the sound quality of the remolded, quad driver TF10's.

Before, I considered the TF10's a compromise with my Re0 - not a clear upgrade.  Now I consder my customs far superior to the originals.

Quote:
I have gone through such threads and i know what you mean. 
beerchug.gif

So do you prefer the TF10 sound quality, or the sound quality of the remolded phones?

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #9 of 25
Alright than. I'll definitely remold the TF10s. I just cant seem to get a good fit with it, although the sound is really good. Now, the hardest decision would be either remolding it without the addition of drivers, and getting a UM Aero or Mage once i saved up enought, or remold it adding another 3 drivers...

Quote:
If I didn't make it clear, I much prefer the sound quality of the remolded, quad driver TF10's.

Before, I considered the TF10's a compromise with my Re0 - not a clear upgrade.  Now I consder my customs far superior to the originals.

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #10 of 25
hmm, im from singapore, and i was quoted around 900+ for the UM Mage by stereo..
is 768 the price fom null audio??

anyway i would also like to hear comments from ppl who own both the remolded tf10(6drivers) and um mage, im also stuck in a choice between both...i am afraid the 6drivers would somehow messed up tf10 sound sig and um mage although being 4drivers, is a true custom built from scratch...

any comments ppl before i sink my money in??

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #11 of 25
The 768 price is from the null-audio site. I think the actual price is slightly more though, as null audio quoted me a slightly higher price than whats stated on their site for remolding services. I'm leaning towards just remolding the TF10s without the addition of drivers, as i LOVE the sound signature as it is. Mainly a fit and isolation issue. Than save up for a aero, mage or miracle, thereby getting 2 monitors with different sound signatures. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 25
haha cool...

i was thinking if um mage have the same quality as tf10(6drivers), it would make more sense to go for mage instead of reshell, since ur getting a custom built from scratch...
and the fact u could sell the tf10 to recoup some of the losses, in a more economical sense um mage would actually garner u more savings instead...this is why im in a dilemma now, and need some serious honest comments on both iems

actually i have no fit/isolation issues wif tf10, using a biflange wif the flip flop mod, i get very gd isolation and its fits snugly and comfortably in my ear, the only problem for me is the plastic cover on the es cables memory wire, it keeps rubbing my specs frames
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 25
what made remolding TF10s so popular earlier than year was directly related to the amazing $99 Amazon deal... that brought the total cost of my custom TF10s (+shipping/audiologist fees/cables/etc) to about $300 total.  you on the other hand will have to pay $620 SGD (~$460 USD) + however much you already paid for your used TF10s, to get them remolded into customs.  

I suggest you just buy some UM customs and keep your TF10s as a backup universal pair, or sell to offset the cost as someone else already suggested.

nevermind... I overlooked the part about making them into 6-driver customs. I have nothing to say either way except good luck!

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #14 of 25

What i have read from Maodi reviews so far indicate the the mages and the tf18s are about the same quality, with different sound signatures. I'm probably gonna go get the TF10 remolded without addition of drivers, and buy a mage/miracle in the future. cheers. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
haha cool...

i was thinking if um mage have the same quality as tf10(6drivers), it would make more sense to go for mage instead of reshell, since ur getting a custom built from scratch...
and the fact u could sell the tf10 to recoup some of the losses, in a more economical sense um mage would actually garner u more savings instead...this is why im in a dilemma now, and need some serious honest comments on both iems

actually i have no fit/isolation issues wif tf10, using a biflange wif the flip flop mod, i get very gd isolation and its fits snugly and comfortably in my ear, the only problem for me is the plastic cover on the es cables memory wire, it keeps rubbing my specs frames
tongue.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 25
It's all about the sound signatures and what you like. The Mages are described(I haven't heard them) as light and crisp, while the TF18s more powerful/ bass heavy. For example, before I got my TF10s remolded I always thought of my IE7's as having very smooth and deep bass. I can't even listen to them anymore because they pale so badly in comparison to the remolded triplefis. IMO that's what you're getting with the 6 driver remold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back