TF10 Flip Flop MOD and what i found.
Apr 15, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #32 of 42
I'm using the Null Audio Lune cable right now for my TF10s. Instead of a printed L/R, it has blue and red printed on it.

I have the L/blue facing towards the nozzle of the L earpiece, and vice versa for the R earpiece. Is this the correct method? I'm doing the flip mod, but I just wear the L/blue earpiece on my right ear.

Sep 7, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #33 of 42
Sorry to bump an old thread but it contains all the relevant
information to my question.

For the triple fi flip mod should the R and L be facing towrds the nozzle
Or towards the back of triple fis after the mod?

Thanks. I have tried them both ways and am not sure whether there is
A correct way, and this threads conflicting opinions has
Confused me.

Sep 7, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #34 of 42
Sorry to bump an old thread but it contains all the relevant
information to my question.

For the triple fi flip mod should the R and L be facing towrds the nozzle
Or towards the back of triple fis after the mod?

Thanks. I have tried them both ways and am not sure whether there is
A correct way, and this threads conflicting opinions has
Confused me.

The letters should always facing towards the nozzle. Well it's how they are on my pair and always did. Hope this help.:)

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #35 of 42
It's whichever way that you prefer but Sayajin is correct if you want it as designed. Labels should continue to point in the same direction as on the original sides. Inverting phase is fine if you prefer the balance but it's just compensating for the normal recessed mids. Generally phase inversion sounds a bit less extended on both extremes and gives a more forward, rounded presentation when it's discernible.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #38 of 42
If you switch the Phase of both ear pieces and the sound signature changes then one or more pairs of the speakers have to be out of phase.
I suspect that UE have done it to achieve the right impedance or something like the low end speaker fires in the oposite direction to the other thus puting it out of phase.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #39 of 42
Wrong. You haven't changed anything with one relative to the other except which direction the initial excursion is going on both.  Your rationalization is nonsensical. Polarity doesn't change impedance and out of phase woofers in the same 2 way earpiece would result in 0 output. In opposing earpieces would just be wrong. It's not what's being discussed here.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #40 of 42
Your theory is correct if the speakers are connected by a dedicated passive Xover unit. I suspect that isn't the case with IEM, rather they have a small capacitor attached to each speaker to act as a filter and the speakers connected together in series or parallel. In this way if you turn one of the speakers around the + and - will be the wrong way round thus changing the impedance.
This is why you get a change in sound signature when you flip mod the units. Say for example the mid and tweet were pushing and sub pulling. Now sub is pushing mid tweet pulling. It's the only way in my knowledge that the sound signature could change unless you can suggest otherwise?

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #41 of 42
Doesn't work that way and the TF10 is a 3 driver 2 way. 2 woofers and a tweeter. There will be a cap in front of the tweeter and maybe a resisitor. A driver behaves like a resistor in circuit and the impedance wont change a lick if it's cap or resistor first in a series chain. Probably nothing electrical in front woofers. Woofers are lowpassed with mechanical filters.

Higher order xovers sometimes require phase inversion of drivers for better overall phase uniformaty but that still doesn't change the overall phase relationships of left to right and complex networks aren't used on woofers in IEMs or in IEMs in general as coils don't fit in the housings. You can't do a woofer low pass with a parallel cap because it affects the entire device as it would be across the overall pos and neg. Generally Iems use 1st order high pass with maybe a quasi noble filter for some EQ and mechanical filters for the low pass.. Inverting overall phase wouln't change the phase relationship between channels anyway. I'm being nice here. You really aren't well enough versed for this.

Oct 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #42 of 42
sort of old thread but I think a way of explaining it would be to put both the headphones net to each other.
Ex: ..-.. picture both outward holes as left and right and make the inward holes as ground.
Take your cables and align them as norma.
..-..
I11l the l is left and right, the 1 is ground, then switch cables.
..-..
1ll1 you will notice ground and left or right are switched. Now flip the cables(make l or r face the opposite direction)
You will get ..-..
l11l.
So that is how I did the math to find the left and right face outward

Users who are viewing this thread

Back