Testing the BottleHead 'Crack' w/ BD DT770 at RMAF 2011
Nov 4, 2011 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mackie

New Head-Fier
Hello Everyone, (My first real post)

I have the privilege of living in Denver, CO. so it wasn’t that big a deal to attend this year’s “Rocky Mountain Audio Fest.” The main reason I went was to listen to the BottleHead “Crack” Headphone Amplifier. Sure, who doesn't like listening to 20,000 dollar systems all day? But I cant afford those, so I brought along my BD DT770’s with me so I can get a good idea of what the little "Crack" Amp sounded like. WOW! I
basshead.gif
was impressed! Granted, I only have 200 dollar Cans but still… I was freakin amazed at the sound.

Okay, sure, BottleHead had a really fine Reel to Reel setup sending an amazing analog signal and I would be using MP3 and CD recordings at best. <They also didn’t have a jack to connect to my MP3 player I brought. I was like What!!! I already brought my own Cans, I didn’t think I would have to bring my own jack too!!!> Anyway, I was very impressed with the quality build of the product and amazing sound. My BD are notorious for being Bass Monsters but I got them specifically because I work in a very quiet Cube Farm and just cannot have open Cans. Plus I got a killer deal at “Guitar Center’s Presidents Day Sale.”
wink_face.gif

As compared to the other Amps I tested that day (No names mentioned). The "Crack" sounded much more ‘Clear and Crisp’ if you will. Yes, the Bass was all the way there, probably because of my “Bass Monsters.” But I thought the sound stage was very transparent and much more open than the others. I guess with better Cans the “Crack" would sound completely different but to my ears it sounded the best.

Truth be told, I was a little hung over from the night before so everything that day seemed a little bright to me.
bigsmile_face.gif
  However, since they were the real reason I went in the first place. I did spend a good deal of time listening, and again. Amazing sound from a 300 dollar DIY amplifier!!! I tested all that were available that day and the “Crack” was by far my choice over all. I would have really liked to hear my own music from my MP3 player since I am not a big fan of Jazz but if that Amp with my Cans sounded that good with whatever they had on… The "Crack" is going to sound fantastic with with my Cans and TOOL !!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #2 of 2
Glad you enjoyed the show. The crack has great synergy with the high impedance beyers. I heard a crack with DT880s at a local meet and I was very impressed. Got me excited to finish building my unit, I'm presently staining my crack. If you can handle a lot of soldering its a great project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back