tested the ath-m50 and akg 271 mkii....HELP I need a hybrid...!!
Nov 25, 2010 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ilovetaylors

100+ Head-Fier
I listen to some john mayer, jack johnson, and jason mraz, but there are times I want to listen to some r and b and hip hop.....

ATH-M50 had some really nice nice nice bass, that I found akg lacking....

but for clarity the akg was much better......

Also the size was a big factor....

(akg was alot bigger) 

ATH-M50 didn't need a amp to play on my ipod...

AKG 271 mkii (had to blast it high)

But when I plugged in the akg 271 mkii to plug in my guitar amp, sounder better....

So my question....

IS THERE A HEADPHONE THAT HAS BASS LIKE THE ATH-M50 and Clarity of an Akg 271 mkii.....

ALSO...something not so big, so I won't get stared at like a alien for wearing it on the train....

P.S I don't care if its closed or semi closed anymore. =) 

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 6
I was gonna suggest trying out the A700's.....that was until you said you didn't want something big. :p
A700's are nice, but massive.

So, out of curiosity, I second this question.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 6
I think the Ultrasone HFI-580's are a good hybrid. I was really surprised by how good their mids are, considering the bass they have. And they're pretty easy on the eyes.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Welcome to Head-Fi. 

FWIR, you may want to consider the SRH750DJ < search and read. I just bought one used - awaiting shipment. 

You're wanting to plug into an iPod and use on a train - so you should get closed headphones.

Quote:
IS THERE A HEADPHONE THAT HAS BASS LIKE THE ATH-M50 and Clarity of an Akg 271 mkii.....

ALSO...something not so big, so I won't get stared at like a alien for wearing it on the train....

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 6
Audio Techinca ES10 or ESW9 The ESW9 is great for accoustic and vocals. The ES10 is probably more of what you are looking for, but it's about a hundred dollars more. The ES10 has a bigger driver and much more potential for bass when you want it.

Nov 26, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Since the M50 is a very clear sounding headphone already, and especially clear given the amount of bass it has, I don't think you're going to find that.  I think the K271 sounded more clear to you because of it's lack of bass- which moves your attention towards all the details and vocals.  I don't think a headphone can have that light, clear, airy sound and still have bass.  Unless it is an ortho or electrostat. 

If you had said that you wanted a compromise of the clarity and bass of both, then that might be possible in one of the other closed headphones, but you can't have the best of both worlds unless it's not dynamic anymore, IMO

you could also try velour pads on the K271- which gives it more bass.  If that's possible for you to try out.  It's still nothing like the M50 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back