Tempting Deal
Dec 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

R-Audiohead

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fiers,

I have recently been looking to improve my sound setup.  I have extensive experience in the car audio world, and some more recent experience with home audio... these include installation, testing, and troubleshooting.  Unfortunately, with this audio is more on a macro scale, and I have only very recently exposed myself to this ever so intriguing micro scale of headphones.

I currently own some Sennheiser 448s and run them DAC w/ a FiiO e7.  I know these phones were designed to be portable and shouldn't need an amp, but amping them really helped with the empty low end.  I do really enjoy these cans, but with my trained ear I find myself looking for an upgrade.  As a student of the health sciences, I find myself sitting at my desk for hours on end doing work - and I spend most of them w/cans on.

I need a closed set of cans, and I'd prefer a set of 300ohm nature.  I have an e9 on the way, so I should have no trouble powering them.  I plan to run from an internal PC sound card that can decode 24bit and use the line in on the e9 (as much as daisy chaining makes me cringe, I think this is the most cost effective way of utilizing a FLAC file).

The types of music I listen to consist of: Rock, Acoustical, Instrumental, Limited Hip-Hop/Rap... basically anything except country (I feel like that's said a lot).  I'm by no means a basshead.. although I do enjoy a nice thump when it's suppose to be there. I prefer accurate, natural reproduction of the spectrum over what some may consider a more "exciting" sound signature.  I'm a sucker for the mids especially, and love a nice reproduction of vocals/piano in general.  I am pretty set that I need a closed setup (I know, that suddenly made the list of high end options limiting), because I do some late night listening and a leaky set of cans may end up bothering others.  I like a little isolation anyways.

I recently struck a deal on some Charter Oak SP-1s for 285.00.  From everything I've read, I really think these headphones are what I want to go for.  However, I thought it would be worth my time to see what this lovely community had to say about my decision in case something changes my mind.

I know these cans come from the Original MB Quart/German Maestro folks, and I am familiar with a lot of other equipment they have produced over the years (especially with my background in car audio).  I do know their notorious sound signature, and I enjoy it quite a bit with a little bit of time on an EQ.  If left raw it is a little on the bright side. but the lows aren't over emphasized and them mids are quite present.

Let me know what you guys think!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back