Temporary room treatments for my dorm?
Sep 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Maverickmonk

500+ Head-Fier
Alright, so in my dorm, I use my headphones for music, but my AV30's for the TV/Xbox (And Dub-step). The problem is that the "entertainment center" is my roommates desk, which is permenently affixed in the corner, with a glass window on one side, a plaster wall on the other, a shelf <24" overhead, and a closet on the other side. In other words, my little 3" woofers have been turned into subs, and not in the good way. I mean in the crazy resonance and mid-bass hump way. The bright side of this is that his mac-book pro speakers sound amazing, its as if the standing-waves and bass re-enforcement were matched perfectly to his laptops total lack of bass. They sound nearly flat now! But since the monitors are a lot more fun, I'd rather set it up to work better with them.

I already have them a solid 14" away from the wall, but because of the shelf overhang that is only a partial solution. I have a bunch of egg-crate foam at home, would that make for a decent bass trap? If so, how should I lay it out? Along the edges/corners only? Directly behind the port on the monitors? I'd also love to cover the glass (my one wall is entirely glass, which is great for doing calculus problems, but terrible for resonance), but there's no feasible way to attach curtains either. Also, I can't get more than 2ft separation between the speakers, but that's just a fact of life I'll have to deal with. At my disposal are: egg-crate foam, toolbox mat liner, and that's about it.

Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #2 of 2
Egg-crates as an accoustical treatment is a mynth, they are too thin to affect anything other than higher frequencies.
If you want to take controle of the bass then find some foam with open-cell structure and stuff it into bass reflex ports. As for room treatment, mineral wool is the best material you can get for DIY panels. You can try using some mattresses, the thicker the material the lower the frequency it absorbs. I would go for anything thinner than 10cm.

As for palcing, you must experiment. Corners are said to be the most troublesome but putting the material on the wall behind the speakers or behind yourslef can also help a lot. If you put anything in corner do not place it directly on the wall, it's least effective there, at best get someting flat and place it across the corner to make a sort of triangle. Generally, placing your "trap" (foam or other dense yet air-passing material) few centimeters (or inches, whatever) from the wall improves lower frequency absorption.

At best post some pictures of the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back