Teclast T51
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #121 of 1,468
Although Chinese-designed DAPs are steadily progressing, there's one thing they still lack from the major players, and that's the total execution of the package. The lack of bug quashing and general usability isn't there, which, for many of the major players (Cowon, Apple, Sony, Sandisk, even Microsoft), they have enough resources to go through and deliver a DAP relatively free of bugs and show-stopping problems.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #122 of 1,468
It seems like the player has tons of bugs and problems. It even has problems with simple battery charging and it has problems with lossless formats support.
That's what mp4nation posted after seeing it on chinese sites.

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #123 of 1,468
You know what it says on the back of your Fuze: Made in China.

The iPod is made in China also (OEM'ed by Foxconn).
Remember, China does make great audio products, are you guys well know (headphone amps, OEM'ed DAPs, earphones).

Oct 6, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #124 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know what it says on the back of your Fuze: Made in China.

The iPod is made in China also (OEM'ed by Foxconn).
Remember, China does make great audio products, are you guys well know (headphone amps, OEM'ed DAPs, earphones).

The difference here is quality control both at the factory after aftermarket. Support and updates are another issue that most Chinese companies producing these products face. Some just don't offer any after the point-of-sale and others can't afford to offer any outside of the country.

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #125 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
many of the major players (Cowon, Apple, Sony, Sandisk, even Microsoft), they have enough resources to go through and deliver a DAP relatively free of bugs and show-stopping problems.

The problem here is that most of the major players have become progressively worse at bug-quashing before launch, I think it's rather disgraceful that it's quite obviously not something people mind anymore. I've been called anal just because I complained about getting a few too many bugs on firmware 1.0.

What's show-stopping and what's not? I've seen several korean models ship with omg-inducing firmware, but maybe that's just me. So yes the Chinese bugs are there and I struggle with them daily, but I've long since removed them from the deal-breaker category, unless it's something that would destroy the value proposition of the product beyond repair (i.e. really not worth the trouble or not worth the $ you save).

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #126 of 1,468
Yeah, a thank-you to fuzhenyun for the translation.

The reviewer compared the screen on the T51 to a Meizu M8 mobile phone, which is a bit unfair as the M8 uses a screen with twice the resolution of the T51's. I'll give him the comparison to the H320, but again, comparisons to Sony PCM recorders and portable DATs seem to be reaching a bit. In all cases, the gear he's comparing cost, what, 3x the price of the T51?

Still, disappointing to read through all the issues. Follows a pattern, though: release a player too early with half-baked firmware. They'll issue updates, so the question is how many and how much will they be able to patch before the their attention is diverted to the Next Big Thing.

Oct 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #127 of 1,468
Many China local invented electronic products only good for short term use, yes it is cheap but lack of support in both hardware and software. And it always replaced by latest product very fast.

Oct 7, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #128 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well hopefully this one is not crippled with small capacity and no tone controls like all the other high end DAP's coming out now. AMP3 and HIFIMAN I'm talking about you.

EDIT

Looks like it has an EQ after watching the youtube demo

Got my HiFiMAN two days ago. It sounds great! Better than my Marantz 67se cd player.

The HiFiMAN is a bit pickey about the music I put on it. I don't have my music in files and I don't have .cue, .jpg, or anything other than flac files. It seems to work fine like this.

I hooked it up to my computer as a DAC and the sound was really great.

I have Senn 555hd and Senn 600hd phones, and it does not have a problem driving them loud enough for me to enjoy the music.

I could not be happier.

Oct 12, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #129 of 1,468
Talking about T51 and M8, i found this image in other forum.

4sh5zc.jpg

They also made video of the player

YouTube - Teclast T51 hi-fi MP4 Player Video Review by houseofdap Part 1

Looks like a nice player, but the battery specs suck. Only 10 hours on one charge??

Oct 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #130 of 1,468
DAMN! I received it today, but I am not at home right now, I have income tax course right now and my thoughts are at home. I will be at home 0930 pm.
frown.gif
have to wait so long

However I will post a small review and first impressions as soon as I can.

Oct 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #131 of 1,468
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikoz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking about T51 and M8, i found this image in other forum.
(picture)

They also made video of the player

YouTube - Teclast T51 hi-fi MP4 Player Video Review by houseofdap Part 1

Looks like a nice player, but the battery specs suck. Only 10 hours on one charge??

On the vid, things going a little bit slow on that thing. I would pick the M8 instead but well this is a smartphone - unfair comparsion.

Oct 14, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #132 of 1,468
Ok, I got it now.

First Impressions:

Ok let the firmware beside, this player gives bang for buck. And what I also think is that the firmware will be updated properly. What makes me think this? I looked at the Teclast forum. They collect every bug and problem they get from their first customers, so I think the new coming firmware will kill lots of bugs
smily_headphones1.gif

However, I only coment the SQ. I used Mp3s and FLAC files.

My first impression is that it sounds very good, and in my opinion it beats my D2+. It sounds very smooth, it is kind of balanced, that means nothing is overemphazised. Very warm sound.

Bass:

Very tight, leans towards detailed, but just enough. It sounds very good with house and Hip-Hop.

Mids:

How can I describe it best... It is like you move your hands slowly over silk. very good

Highs:

Here I would say they are a little shy, but still good. With my headphones, which lean towards dark, I would say I need further time for listen.

I would say best genre for this player is classic music. Franz Schubert Symphony No.1 in D major D82 - Andante, was amazing with this player.

I used ESW9 for listening. For me it was definitely worth the money.

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #134 of 1,468
Thank you very much for the impressions! Would like to see more
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #135 of 1,468
Thanks for the impression. It seems if T51 is indeed pretty promising. Do keep us up-to-date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back