technics sl-1300 turntable $100, good deal?
Jan 26, 2004 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
i think i found a deal on a working and in good condition sl-1300. is 100 used for this a good deal? here is the description:

sl-1300 w/ direct drive [my parents have this but i dont know what it is, i know it has something to do with keeping the rotation speed constant]
shure m95ed cartridge
dust cover is in good condition

i dont have much time to make my decision so any and all input is much appreciated!

Jan 26, 2004 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 5
The SL-1300 is the home use sibling of the disco drive ancestor SL-1200 - which also has quite a bit of hifi potential, when coupled with a good cartridge, especially in recent incarnations. If it's in good condition, US$ 100 seems to be quite a fair deal. Going for something better than the installed Shure M95ED might be advisable, though...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Direct drive means that the motor is not decoupled (as with belt/string drives, for example), but directly mounted beyond and coupled with the platter (so the platter axle is the motor axle). Typically, direct drives tables have bigger and stronger high torque motors, because professional use demands for very short start-up times and high robustness. The direct coupling of motor and platter makes these tables more prone to rumble, though - that's why belt drives are usually preferred in the home hifi realm. That doesn't mean that direct drive tables couldn't be made equally good for hifi purposes - it has been done, but it usually took more effort and thus was more pricey, too. The Thorens TD 524 was such an example. Or Technics' excellent uber-drives SP-25/15/10(Mk2/3) with several different drive bases to chose from (some made of obsidian compound...). *drool*
wink.gif
And I could still bite my arse that I haven't bought the Technics SL-M1, when it was available new - a very nice direct drive player, and not even too expensive then...

May 7, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by aroon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think i found a deal on a working and in good condition sl-1300. is 100 used for this a good deal? here is the description:

sl-1300 w/ direct drive [my parents have this but i dont know what it is, i know it has something to do with keeping the rotation speed constant]
shure m95ed cartridge
dust cover is in good condition

i dont have much time to make my decision so any and all input is much appreciated!

yeah, i would definitely pay 100 bux for a sl1300. have you looked on ebay? that's where i get most of my references. i figure if 10 ppl say the same thing, then the chances that i'll be stuck with a bad piece of equipment. and this day and age, a hundred bux is a hundred bux. ya know?

bottom line, grab them or email me who has 'em and i'll buy 'em.

btw, i'm wearing a black shirt with an sl1300 etched in neon color. i'll have to get a pic of it and put it up. damn kid, buy that turntable.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Sorry, I was commenting on the SL1200, which I have researched, don't have any knowledge to offer for the SL1300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back