TDK BA200 Thread
Dec 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #391 of 1,509
Quote:
Btw Screen Killer,

I would suggest you hold on your invest about Digizoid zo2.
Basically BA200 performance depend on the source you are using.

You can first using BA200 for a few day or a week.
If you prefer even more bass, on Adroid devices like Samsung Galaxy series like Note2, S3, inside their Music Player, try make use of the SoundAlive profile or adjust the Custom Equaliser or the Extended settings bass levels according to your taste. If you're on iOS devices, try go to Settings and set different music profile in Music.

Quote:

I wouldn't say a lot of bass. Well it depends on the amount of bass you are used to hearing. On full whack you probably won't even get to 30% of the bass your tours give. If you are not used to bass light phones (like me) it's going to take a while to appreciate the bass.

I agree with NewForce above, don't bother until you have heard them. Unless you need more power to drive them, which you shouldn't, you can pretty much get enough bass from basic eq settings. I say this because i too went through the exact same process, expecting to get godly amounts of bass from the zo2, but it's not the case.

hi guys just received the TDK ba200.
first off lets say that i really appreciate the time of you helping. next , about the bass. its has certainly less bass then my tour.
but the ba200 has a warmer less exhausting sound. compared to the tour. i actually like it.
and i also appreciate the bass being not overwhelming but still present.

about the zo2 i am still tempted to get them. I spoke with a youtuber (totallydubbedHD) over skype and his reaction of the zo2 was very positive.
he said : "not only does the zo2 give more bass but also more fullness to it."
i would like to try that setup. i got the HTC one X now but already ordered the Iphone 5.
The Iphone 5 with the ZO2 seems like a nice combination.

The last Question for this post , what would be the next step up?
i heard that the pfe 232 , shure 535 , weston 4 are really good IEM. ( i know they are far more expensive.)
but are they really that much better?
and the difference between these IEM are quite big since the pfe 232 has 2 BA and Shure 535 has 3 BA , and the weston 4 has 4.
according to totallydubbedHD the pfe 232 sounds better and has better bass then shure 535.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #392 of 1,509
Wow thinking about future purchases so quickly...

Just enjoy what you have right now... only think about upgrading when you are ready IMO

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #393 of 1,509
Quote:

Firstly, congrats for getting the excellent sounded TDK BA200 which totally different sonic signature from your BTP. You'll need burn-in time both for this great IEM and of coz your ears. Comparing open and full enclosed can earphone/headphone are between dynamic and articulate sound.

Open can disphragm based IEM normally associate with,
1. More dynamic and punchy bass given the ability of the diaphragm travel length and speed.
2. Lively, airiness treble that overpowering the midrange. As a result it may be sounded more pleasing but at the same time more fatigue to hearing system.
There's another 2 problems,
A. Cause disturbance to yourself as the open can design have nothing preventing outside noise intruding into your music.
B. Cause disturbance to people next to you, especially if you blast your music at extreme loud level. So it's best to use at somewhere with no people around.

Full enclosed can BA IEM normally ,
1. Solved A and B problems. No more sound leak in & out. No more disturbance to yourself and others.
2. More clean & articulate bass aka less dynamic and punchy. Most BA tend to be with light articulate bass. This is due to there's no diaphragm travel involve thus there's nothing to push the air volume inside or pump in air into the can. Think it's because of this, BA IEM are normally closed can design?
3. More articulate & airy sounded mid and treble. The mid also tend to be more forward aka warm/sweet like what a tube amp sounded.
4. The strongest point of BA IEM (at least dual BA) are the much better Sound Staging than diaphragm base IEM. It is by far the most brilliant parts of a (dual) BA designed IEM.

Above just my own thinking based on my 1st BA IEM the TDK BA200. Of course it is not my first audition to a BA. Me too with articulate and less punchy bass of a BA IEM, I has been hesitating to join BA circle for years. There's mainly because I would not pay a premium on a tiny IEM. I've rather spend a bigger fortune on a good stereo system setup at home.

But on April this year, the TDK BA200 has totally changed my mindset. No only it has excellent mid, treble. The well weighted and articulate bass it produces also has better punch than most dual BA IEM around. Given it tiny price below $200, $130 (both brand new price) to be exact for my BA200, TDK BA200 was a real star for dual BA IEM standard.

Nice, look like alot first BA user here with TDK BA200. This is my first too 1)BA and Dual 2)above USD 30 headphone/IEM.
The demo unit that I insert to my ears was a WOW experience.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #394 of 1,509
Well the IE800 continues to impress as the BA200's dynamic dual cousin. At first I thought the sound wasn't thick enough for my ears, but burn in has remedied that. Definitely a thicker sound than the GR07. The bass is interesting as it's not constant, but it gives what the sound as it was recorded. In saying that, the bass can get pretty deep in the sub-bass region, but never overwhelming. The entire sound spectrum stays pretty balanced for the most part. Vocals are very forward and detailed, and instrument separation is only a couple of clicks behind the W4 at this point (that means it's very good). I'm highly impressed. I initially thought foam tips will give you deeper bass, but I'm using some newer UE silicon tips, and the bass is still quite deep. 

With all of that stated, I think my next universal will be the JVC FXZ100 (I generally love that JVC house sound), so I will probably wait until next year before I buy the BA200 (probably). I am interested in the BA200 though. If the price goes really low again I might not be able to resist.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #395 of 1,509
I've been listening to the BA200 I got from the Amazon deal. This thing is fantastic. Easily, easily rivals -- if not beats -- Etymotic ER4 in certain areas, as long as you don't mind the different signature.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #396 of 1,509
Just got them yesterday but still haven't had a chance to really listen to them. The first go left me feeling a little seasick! I think it's the imaging that does it. Something about "seeing" the music (particularly the vocals) is disorienting, but really enjoyable. Anyone else run into this?

Dec 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #397 of 1,509
I lost one of the bigger dual flange.

Where can I get replacement? 

Should I get a third party one ? Any recommendatiosn

or I just get the same one from the distributor in Singapore. Who are there?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #399 of 1,509
I'm thinking about purchasing these or the Westone 3. Just wondering if any of you guys have heard both and could give some recommendations.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #400 of 1,509
I already own a gr07 bass and I was thinking of getting a tdk ba200.
Would the ba 200 be an upgrade or more of a side grade compared to the 07?
I listen to music of all kinds, I'm probably more of a treble head, don't like bass over powering my music. Particularly like songs with strings and choir accompaniment like Coldplays paradise, epicas divine conspiracy, 30s to mars Vox populi, and even Katy Perrys fireworks.
I'm looking for clarity, detail, separation and extension both low and high.
My source is an audio kernel tweaked Galaxy S3 with Neutron player.
Tia

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #401 of 1,509
I would consider the ba200 an up-side-grade. :p  For me personally, the gr07 was too "all over the place" with the frequency response curve.  A lot of mid bass, sibilant treble, no real high highs and hard to describe mids.  The ba200 is fairly flat all around the spectrum with more of a downward curve on the high end giving what some people call a "warm" sound.  I don't think they sound very warm.  Warm from lack of the clearest highs, perhaps, but not warm in the "these make me feel cozy" way that even the pfe112 had.  However, the ba200 pull out a lot of details, have no real flaws and just sound great.

So they are a sidestep, because overall they don't do anything a lot better than the gr07, but they are an upgrade because they eliminate the flaws of the gr07 with only a slight decrease in treble presence.  This also seems to decreases when using an amp, and you get slightly more crisp treble.  I personally can't get past some of the flaws that others can.  I'm not even sure if i'm going to keep the ba200, but if I had to keep any, the gr07 would be one of the last on my list.

Don't take that as a negative review, but more of a description of the way they sound to me.  A lot of people seem to like their sound signature, but I can say this, the ba200 are definitely more accurate overall, which translates to a better realism with strings, etc.  Then again, some people like their strings to be "vivid".  I like them to be realistic... :)  Just my thoughts.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #402 of 1,509
Quote:
I already own a gr07 bass and I was thinking of getting a tdk ba200.
Would the ba 200 be an upgrade or more of a side grade compared to the 07?
I listen to music of all kinds, I'm probably more of a treble head, don't like bass over powering my music. Particularly like songs with strings and choir accompaniment like Coldplays paradise, epicas divine conspiracy, 30s to mars Vox populi, and even Katy Perrys fireworks.
I'm looking for clarity, detail, separation and extension both low and high.
My source is an audio kernel tweaked Galaxy S3 with Neutron player.
Tia

It's an upgrade to me, but if you're a treble-head you'll probably like the GR07 more..

Just noticed it's a bass edition you're having, never heard that.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #403 of 1,509
How is the presentation of the ba200 compared to the gr07?

Ive been listening to the Rockitsounds R50 for a few months and just switched back to my gr07. I found the sound to be much more 3D, better imaging and sound stage. The 3Dness was really striking compared to the flat R-50. Im hoping the BA200 will have a similar presentation as I have serious fit issues with the GR07... I can't maintain a great seal with its shallow/fat nozzle.

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #404 of 1,509
I would consider the ba200 an up-side-grade. :p  For me personally, the gr07 was too "all over the place" with the frequency response curve.  A lot of mid bass, sibilant treble, no real high highs and hard to describe mids.  The ba200 is fairly flat all around the spectrum with more of a downward curve on the high end giving what some people call a "warm" sound.  I don't think they sound very warm.  Warm from lack of the clearest highs, perhaps, but not warm in the "these make me feel cozy" way that even the pfe112 had.  However, the ba200 pull out a lot of details, have no real flaws and just sound great.

So they are a sidestep, because overall they don't do anything a lot better than the gr07, but they are an upgrade because they eliminate the flaws of the gr07 with only a slight decrease in treble presence.  This also seems to decreases when using an amp, and you get slightly more crisp treble.  I personally can't get past some of the flaws that others can.  I'm not even sure if i'm going to keep the ba200, but if I had to keep any, the gr07 would be one of the last on my list.

Don't take that as a negative review, but more of a description of the way they sound to me.  A lot of people seem to like their sound signature, but I can say this, the ba200 are definitely more accurate overall, which translates to a better realism with strings, etc.  Then again, some people like their strings to be "vivid".  I like them to be realistic... :)  Just my thoughts.

Thanks for your impressions.
I wouldn't call the 07 all over the place, but it has less separation than some other high tier gear you may be used to, thus the instruments seem to be sounding one on top of the other at times. I have the bass edition, so sibilance is not an issue but treble doesn't seem to extend as high as the Mk2 and it is a tad less resolving.
I've heard the ba 200 and I do find them a bit more detailed with better sound stage and treble extension. But like you I'm on the fence whether they are what I'd call a worthy upgrade to the 07.
I'd call the 07 an excellent, if not the most excellent, dynamic driven iem. The ba200 is an excellent, if not the most excellent ba driven iem for the price.
But maybe I'll wait on the gr08 and see how much, and how it performs before I reconsider the ba200.

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #405 of 1,509
Quote:

luisdent,
Very well in-depth describing the 2 IEM sound characteristic. It definitely will help others to picture the sound different about both IEM and make the right purchase decision.
beerchug.gif

TDK BA200 simply a studio monitor sounded IEM that reproducing the sound quality of what the Sound Engineer/Producer wanted us to hear. Especially on the sound stage reproduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back