TCP/IP vs USB and kmixer
Feb 9, 2005 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kmcdonou

100+ Head-Fier
I am going to move into computer audio soon and am wondering about the differences between TCP/IP transfer vs USB. Which one of these offer the best transport to an external DAC? Or, are they the same, especially if the USB sound card had a separate power supply?

Also, I've read that to bypass the kmixer in Windows, you need to use kernel streaming or asio in foobar or Winamp. Is the kmixer bypassed when you use the TCP/IP protocol? I was thinking about getting a sqeezebox vs an external soundcard an was wondering about the kmixer issue with the former.

Also, I really don't want to mess around with using foobar. I know some think it is easy, but it seems like a large learning curve with no helpful tutorial to reduce this curve. Itunes seems a lot easier and offers enough functionality for what I want. For Windows, though, Itunes does not accommodate asio as an output.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on these issues.

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Foobar is just as easy to use as any other player. There is no "major" learning curve involved. Winamp is just as easy to use as foobar.

TCP/IP protocol is not often used in audio.... This is the standard protocol for internet and other networking. Not sure what you're getting at here....

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 6
TCP/IP-enabled audio devices (think AirPort Express and the wired equivalents) recieve the files as a digital bitstream, so kmixer wouldn't even enter into the equation there.

USB-DAC's look like external sound-cards to Windows, so kmixer will step in, unless you use KS or ASIO with your player program. External power vs. internal power makes no difference here.

Setting up foobar to use KS or ASIO isn't difficult if you follow the helpful setup guides that have been posted in the Head-Fi fora (here's a good place to start, scroll down to #5 and 6 for the relevant info).

That's a one-time, cookbook-formula procedure, and thereafter, using foobar for basic file playback is as simple as you could ask for--use the Playlist menu to open files or add them to the current playlist, use the toolbar buttons to control playback.

Personally, I found iTunes to be more frustrating to use, as more of the controls were hidden away, but that's me. Regardless, if you're going to the trouble of getting an external DAC, you should use a player program that will let you hear the benefits of your new hardware--and I hate to break it to ya, but iTunes ain't it
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 6
If you're not a technical person, you're using Windows, and you're looking for the best sound quality, I strongly recommend a TCP/IP device such as the Squeezebox or the Airport Express. Both of these devices are bit-perfect out of the box (assuming you turn off the equalizer, "sound check", and other kinds of processing) and kMixer is not in the picture, so there is nothing to worry about.

Either that or get a home theatre receiver and test whether your specific sound card+drivers+playback software combo is bit-perfect using the standard tests. You can't always depend on kernel streaming. ASIO is usually always fine assuming you set it up correctly.

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #5 of 6
If you're not a technical person, you're using Windows, and you're looking for the best sound quality, I strongly recommend a TCP/IP device such as the Squeezebox or the Airport Express. Both of these devices are bit-perfect out of the box (assuming you turn off the equalizer, "sound check", and other kinds of processing) and kMixer is not in the picture, so there is nothing to worry about.

Wodgy, that's what I was looking for.

Although, I consider myself somewhat of a techie, I don't want to mess with configuring Foobar or Winamp. Everyone says it is easy, but couldn't figure it out just by playing around with it. Part of the problem is that I have never really set up a music library to play off of my computer. I did install the Asio plug in for Foobar, but I can't figure out how to set up the library so that I can see my albums, sort by genre, etc.

I've never done it before and I can't find any good tutorials or step-by-step instructions. I've spent many hours in the past scouring forums, asking questions, etc to build a 100 amp electric brewery and even to buy my first headamp, headphones, and dac. So, I know how to search for information. It's just that it takes a lot of time and I don't want to go down that path to configure Foobar or Winamp. I just rather listen to music.

On a related note, are there any manufacturers of squeezebox like devices, but without the LCD display? I would love a TCP/IP audio box with a digital out, sort of like an M-audio Transit but for TCP/IP. I will put my laptop on my audio rack, so I don't need a separate digital display. If there aren't any manufacturers of such a device, I am surprised. Considering the benefits of the TCP/IP protocol for audio transfer and the common availability of USB sound cards, you would think there would be something similar for TCIP/IP.

Feb 9, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmcdonou
Wodgy, that's what I was looking for.

Although, I consider myself somewhat of a techie, I don't want to mess with configuring Foobar or Winamp. Everyone says it is easy, but couldn't figure it out just by playing around with it. Part of the problem is that I have never really set up a music library to play off of my computer. I did install the Asio plug in for Foobar, but I can't figure out how to set up the library so that I can see my albums, sort by genre, etc.

I've never done it before and I can't find any good tutorials or step-by-step instructions. I've spent many hours in the past scouring forums, asking questions, etc to build a 100 amp electric brewery and even to buy my first headamp, headphones, and dac. So, I know how to search for information. It's just that it takes a lot of time and I don't want to go down that path to configure Foobar or Winamp. I just rather listen to music.

Yes, I see where you're coming from. The current state of Windows audio is dissapointingly complex. It is rumored that there's a new audio architecture coming with Longhorn that will replace kMixer, which will be nice if it ever pans out.

Quote:

On a related note, are there any manufacturers of squeezebox like devices, but without the LCD display? I would love a TCP/IP audio box with a digital out, sort of like an M-audio Transit but for TCP/IP. I will put my laptop on my audio rack, so I don't need a separate digital display. If there aren't any manufacturers of such a device, I am surprised. Considering the benefits of the TCP/IP protocol for audio transfer and the common availability of USB sound cards, you would think there would be something similar for TCIP/IP.

I don't know of any, but there is now a new model of the Squeezebox with a very cheap display, so you're not paying for a fancy display. The "bargain model" was released in the last few months and may only be sold at Radio Shack and perhaps at the Slim Devices online store. The Airport Express also does not have a display, but it doesn't have a remote control either (third party devices are available).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back