taylor swift?
Dec 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #46 of 59
You seem like you have a possibly unhealthy obsession to be honest
tongue.gif

Or, I'm just a big fan who thinks Taylor is a lovely person (by all accounts) and writes awesome music.  Taylor has a wonderful connection with her fans, and we love her dearly.  How many stars send their fans Christmas presents?  How many stars are happy to take selfies with fans etc with a genuine smile?  Or, invite their super fans back to their place to listen to an as yet to be released album?  

Taylor is very approachable and incredibly down to Earth.  Her fans (and super fans) know this, but the general non fans don't.  And we love that connection.  There's a lot of false negatives spread about Taylor and as a fan, I hate seeing this.  I'd rather try and correct these false truths when I see them, it's the polite thing (and morally correct) to do.  

I agree that some of the fans go OTP, but hey, everyone's allowed their private indulgences.  I'm sure that most people have something that means a lot to them that they're obsessed about (sports teams etc).  

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #47 of 59
  I'm fine with her.  I have no problem with her.  I would rather have my 14 year old daughter listening to her than Tove Lo singing about getting through life being in a stoned stooper Or Rhianna enjoying being beat up by guys.

Let's just not get Taylor Swift confused with Joni Mitchell or Patricia Barber.

I think he was referring to me  :wink:

Joni's music bores me to death - I have no connection with it at all, despite trying.  I listen to a very broad range of music, so it's not just a matter of me being uneducated or lacking cultural finesse.  Her music & lyrical style just does nothing for me at a personal level.  It doesn't mean I'll say she's not any good, or overrated etc.  Or, make other false accusations.  People seem to think that it's OK to do so to Taylor, simply because they dislike her musical and/or lyrical style.  Everyone has different preferences, so what floats my boat may not float someone else's.  I find it amusing (in a not so good way) that so many people enjoy bashing Taylor...

I haven't had the chance to listen to Patricia's music yet.  Would love the box set, but alas, no money  :frowning2:

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #48 of 59
Yeah, I guess I was just poking fun at your stellar defense of her. I didn't see anyone attacking her. I've got 4 of her albums myself. I think All Too Well, the one you posted some lyrics from, is my favorite. I don't think she's an exceptionally strong vocalist, but I think her writing is some of the best, especially compared to many contemporary artists.

I've got a real problem with Blank Space though. I don't know if it's my rip or what but I swear it sounds like I've got a blown speaker during every bass note, and it sounds like that in my car and on every pair of headphones I have.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #49 of 59
Yeah, I guess I was just poking fun at your stellar defense of her. I didn't see anyone attacking her. I've got 4 of her albums myself. I think All Too Well, the one you posted some lyrics from, is my favorite. I don't think she's an exceptionally strong vocalist, but I think her writing is some of the best, especially compared to many contemporary artists.

I've got a real problem with Blank Space though. I don't know if it's my rip or what but I swear it sounds like I've got a blown speaker during every bass note, and it sounds like that in my car and on every pair of headphones I have.

All too well is one of my faves too, but I have other faves from other albums (Tim McGraw, Our Song etc).  Taylor is not a strong vocalist, but I do feel that her vocals are better now than they were several years back.  Taylor still takes vocal coaching.  Lyrically, Taylor is another Springsteen/Dylan imho.  Sure, the song topics are different, but that shouldn't belittle her lyrical efforts.  

1989 (and most of Taylor's albums) is very badly recorded.  You are hearing distortion.  Like most modern released CDs, compression is terrible.  It's even worse on Out of the woods imho.  It's a pity, cos I can't stand playing any of Taylor's albums on my home audio setup, which is very revealing on badly recorded albums - if it's badly recorded, it'll sound like it!  I have a copy of "Volume 2" (a very rare demo CD from 2003) and it lacks compression and sounds like Taylor is in my room with her guitar.  If only her commercial albums were that well recorded...

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #50 of 59
A friend wrapped up her 1st semester at college recently. For her final project in acting class she completed the soundtrack for a play using all Taylor Swift songs...a different one to match the mood or feeling of each scene. My only contribution was to burn the CD of them so she could cue them up while presenting her rationale for each song to the class and professor.

She received an A +

Moral: being a proud swifty can get you more benefits than just good music
:wink:

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #51 of 59
A friend wrapped up her 1st semester at college recently. For her final project in acting class she completed the soundtrack for a play using all Taylor Swift songs...a different one to match the mood or feeling of each scene. My only contribution was to burn the CD of them so she could cue them up while presenting her rationale for each song to the class and professor.

She received an A +

Thnaks, great news from Lawn Guy Land! :D

Dec 27, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #53 of 59
Regrets, but what's the connection to "lawn guy land" ?

Edit. Never mind. I just saw that it's a tease about LI regional accent. Lol.

Yep, that's it!
:D

Dec 28, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #54 of 59

She received an A +

Good on her, although I'm sure her acting contributed too.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:22 PM Post #56 of 59
Yes, I'm sure you're right. She's very talented. I wish that she could see it as plainly as I do.
wink.gif

Unfortunately, in this world, we're quite often told by society that we're worthless or not good enough.  It's very hard to stay positive sometimes.  That's one of the things that makes Taylor's songs so special to many people - it's a sign that you can be successful, whilst staying true to yourself, and being a nice person.  

Dec 28, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #57 of 59
Unfortunately, in this world, we're quite often told by society that we're worthless or not good enough.  It's very hard to stay positive sometimes.  That's one of the things that makes Taylor's songs so special to many people - it's a sign that you can be successful, whilst staying true to yourself, and being a nice person.  

Hmm, very insightful. Maybe that's one of the reasons that she likes Taylor so much.

Dec 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #58 of 59
Hmm, very insightful. Maybe that's one of the reasons that she likes Taylor so much.
wink.gif

Possibly.  As someone who's suffered from on/off depression episodes over the past 15 or so years, I find Taylor relaxing and soothing and it makes me happy.  It's a big positive influence in my life.  I'm also a hopeless romantic, so Taylor appeals to me at that level too.  I suspect your friend may be a hopeless romantic  :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back