Tapping Noise in Sherwood
May 3, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ryan89

New Head-Fier
I have been using a Sherwood s-7200 solid state amplifier to drive my headphones and I have noticed a quiet repeating tapping noise in the background of the right channel. The only thing I can compare the speed of the tapping to the speed of someone transmitting a message via morse code. It's barely noticed if I'm playing loudly but is very evident when no music is playing or no source is plugged into the amp. If anyone knows anything please post because I would really like to fix this. Thanks, Ryan.

May 5, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Guess #1: make sure there is not a cell phone anywhere near the gear. Very common problem.

Guess #2: make sure no power cables or computer cables are near the gear or audio cables.

Guess #3: your neighbor is a ham radio operator.

Guess #4: check headphone earcups for large spiders. Gradofan had distortion in one channel of his DT880s a while back. When he took them off to check a "big ass hairy spider" came bailing out of the right earcup. Probably a harmless and terrified wolf spider, before he beat it to death with the headphones.

gerG

May 7, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I use a Sherwood s-7100 myself, and though I haven't had any problems that quite sound the same as that, I have noticed that there is (rarely) some bleed-through from FM to the next setting on my input selector because the switch is old and needs cleaning. This usually is accompanied with the signal cutting in and out and making other noise that tells me it's a switch issue, and then if I touch the switch again it goes away, but it might theoretically just let a tiny bit of FM into the signal. (tech folks, correct me here if I'm wrong) The stereo/mono selector also sometimes creates minor disturbances. I was, however, under the impression that they'd taken care of these issues with the s-7100a, so your 7200 should be better. Probably this isn't your problem, but I thought I'd mention it so that you could test and rule it out.

good luck

May 7, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 6
thanks for the replys I also posted on the audiokarma forums and they had some similar guesses (except for the spider and robin hood). Anyway my next plan of attack is to open the amp up and use some DeOxit on the inner workings according to the guys at audiokarma that usually fixes most problems with these older amps a simple cleaning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back