tape heads
Oct 2, 2004 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

19lexicon78

500+ Head-Fier
hmm,

i have enough walkmans..fortunate..today's prices are going sky-high..especialy those d3-6 ones..just don't get those excessive prices...still want that cp430 or 5m

but, now i have walkmans...i'm going for the tape decks..just bought a 555esmk2 tape-deck..my first step...

does anybody of you own a zxl1000,700,cr-7e, c1mk2, z6000, revox,777mk2, tcd910,3004 (14) etc..???

why are you still tape-heads...nostalgia...

i don't know why i'm interested in tapes..perhaps i grew up with those...80's flashback...like my dc2...or toshiba walkman with digital tuner..where is my calculator watch..i knew when i was a kid, i envied those kids with such a calculator watch...just looking high-tech...played with a friend's commodore 64 system...flashbacks..

and no, i'm not a boom-box type...i was to young for those..those conions look lovely...don't forget the marantz..

Oct 3, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Well, I still keep my Teac V3000, Sony WM-D6C and WM-DC2 as well as the Aiwa HS-PC202MIII, because one never knows
wink.gif
- the latter being the best walkman I ever had, btw.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And I seriously ponder ordering a test sample of this: http://www.plusdeck.com/Englishsite/product_01.html
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Cassette tape??

How can you not have one of Sony's dubbing Walkmans? Yes, the ones with two wells for dubs on the go.

I enjoyed making tapes, both the mixed kind and off-the-air radio recordings. I still have hour-long radio dramas made on Maxell UR-120 (60 minutes per side) cassette tapes from over 10 years ago. Still sounds good. I used a Sony TC-K670, which is 3 head, 3 motor closed-loop dual capstan cassette deck. I still have this machine and I am seriously considering getting a tune-up for it. Perhaps the attraction of making tape was that it was more involving than simply slipping a CD-R into the computer....getting the bias right, selecting the noise reduction system, getting the right blank tapes, and on my deck, I can do real-time monitoring.

Aaaahhh....memories
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 16
I had the dubbing walkman, purchased new around '85 and sold it on ebay around 2001. The two decks never ran at precisely the same speed.

Edit: I just took a look at prices of the Walkman Pro's. They're only a little higher than I would have expected, and not outrageous at all compared to their original list and street prices.

Oct 11, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

why are you still tape-heads...nostalgia...

h*ll no !

I have a Nakimichi 600 "wedge" and it sounds wonderful !
Parting with it is way out of the question (unless someone would like to swap me for a 1000ZXL Limited
icon10.gif
)

Oct 12, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78
who doesn't want that zxl 1000 lim.

Me - I'd prefer the Dragon. Or one of Nakamichi's great auto reverse decks, because the mechanism is just too funny...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 12, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 16
the dragon is a very cool deck but man.i once came face to face with a 1000ZXL Limited and it was probably the most flat out beeeeutiful piece of audio equipment i have ever seen in person

Rosewood cabinet,gold panel,real gold man !

a BIG !

This baby is bigger than most 200 watt per channel power amps !

Never actually listened to it and if i owned one i would probably just display it as art and never put a tape in it
icon10.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 16
I've seen and listened to the 1000ZXL years ago - but I just didn't find it that pretty.

Forgot to mention Luxman's K-03/04/05 series, btw - and, of course, Tandberg deserves a mention, too. I'll never forgot that tank like model with a half inch thick steel base plate - forgot the model number, though...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 16
soundboy: Yup, that was a nice one, too - but I liked the big Tandberg better. I just wish I could dig up a pic, but I haven't found one yet... Oh, and did I already mention ASC?
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Teac also had some pretty good ones - also in terms of price-performance...

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Ha - found it: Tandberg TCD-3014A - heck, I wish I've had the money I now have for gimmicks in the mid-80s. Look and drool over it here: http://home.online.no/~jandors/tandberg_tcd3014.html

This is no non-sense Scandinavian pro-looks and mechanics one would have to pay tenfold for today. When I played with that thingy in real in my favourite hifi shop in Munich, I always had that satiesfied smile on my face. It's a bit like with high quality turntables (even including some older Technics tables and to a smaller degree even todays SL1200/1210 incarnations - in contrast to the clones, which never came close...) - precision mechanics makes men and quite a few women happy. That's one secret of analogue sound, too.
wink.gif
Beauty of pcb layouts and cabling is another one that works - sometimes not really needed for sound, but its looks spreads the happy hormones all over. The former Italian manufacturer Cabre definitely deserves a honorary mention in that category too, by the way, as do some Restek models. Mhhhhmmmm - Cabre... Well, I digress...
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: So, actually, that's good news for those on budget - there's always some stuff in upper mid-fi and on lower audiophile level that is sonically almost as good as the high-end stuff. So you only need to pay really big money for the stuff that satisfies each and every little audiophile tastebud. And this leads us back to headphone hifi, because headphones can do some things all at once which only good speakerscan do, but not all at the same time in all incarnations - headphones provide a remarkeably coherent overview on the music even if one really blastes 'em. One shouldn't though, because it's not healthy to listen with headphones on sound pressure levels which would be physically impleasant when experienced on loudspeakers. But I digress, again...
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 16
it seems, the tandberg tcd910 is the king of the tape-decks. it's the pro-version of the 3014.

t-tcd-910.jpg

nice buttons too.

this one is on my wanted list. also the lhh2000 and emt927..what a setup would that be..

too many to count
wink.gif

bilde-t-tcd910-911.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back