Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #1,891 of 2,420
Actually I just read what I wrote. The bass switch does not add 10dbs of bass. It adds about 3dbs of bass on top of the already 7dbs of bass it has on reference mode. Going from 7dbs to 10 or so is legit bass boost. Giving you the full monty bass. You get a bit of extra sparkle on top of the treble emphasis it already has with the 3 switch.

It is with the 1 switch or bass switch that brings a more L shaped tuning. Great for bass genres.
How’s the lower mids and upper treble? I’m generally a fan of clean mids, with a bass tuck and well extended treble beyond 10k

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,892 of 2,420
Actually I just read what I wrote. The bass switch does not add 10dbs of bass. It adds about 3dbs of bass on top of the already 7dbs of bass it has on reference mode. Going from 7dbs to 10 or so is legit bass boost. Giving you the full monty bass. You get a bit of extra sparkle on top of the treble emphasis it already has with the 3 switch.

It is with the 1 switch or bass switch that brings a more L shaped tuning. Great for bass genres.

I see, so a condensed version of what the switches are doing when enabled: Switch 1 = +3dB Bass | Switch 2 = +7dB Bass | Switch 3 = Treble Boost

Is that basically accurate?

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,893 of 2,420
How’s the lower mids and upper treble? I’m generally a fan of clean mids, with a bass tuck and well extended treble beyond 10k
I think you would like them. I don’t nescesserily feel they are tucked, but they certaintly are not bloaty. Extension over 10K i have to leave to somebody Else😂

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,894 of 2,420
I see, so a condensed version of what the switches are doing when enabled: Switch 1 = +3dB Bass | Switch 2 = +7dB Bass | Switch 3 = Treble Boost

Is that basically accurate?

Allow me to insist, but according to TSMR's description, the switches only act on the bass, and only one should be acted on at a time. Switch 3 lowers the bass compared to the reference of switch 2

Bass enhancement (100 Mode), control factor: 0.51
Standard tuning (020 Mode), control factor: 1.0
Low frequency attenuation (003 Mode), control factor: 1.47

*The higher the control factor, the lower the low frequency energy.
*All switches are turned off to NO BASS mode.
*0 indicates that the switch is closed downward, and 1/2/3 indicates that the switch is opened upward.

Feb 1, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,895 of 2,420
For some reason however I can swear I hear a bit extra trebles with the 1 switch. Could be that the bass is lowered a bit more so the treble is accentuated a bit more. Which makes sense.

I definitely get more lower mids with the 1 switch which seems to be an after effect of the increase of bass.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #1,896 of 2,420
For some reason however I can swear I hear a bit extra trebles with the 1 switch. Could be that the bass is lowered a bit more so the treble is accentuated a bit more. Which makes sense.
Allow me to insist, but according to TSMR's description, the switches only act on the bass, and only one should be acted on at a time. Switch 3 lowers the bass compared to the reference of switch 2

I see now, thanks guys!

Feb 1, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #1,897 of 2,420

I am guessing around 7-8dbs of upper mids which is just right imo for clarity and presence in the upper mids. Lower mids are not as forward as the upper mids especially for the reference mode. However I do believe the bass switch brings the lower mids to be more forward in the mix. Overall the mids are clean, airy and detailed. Its not a forward sounding mids like you would hear on Penon IEMs. I dont think it is recessed on the other hand either. More on a neutral level of emphasis than anything. A bit laid back but the imaging for the mids clearly makes up for it and brings an airy quality to the mids that is very addictive.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #1,898 of 2,420
As for classical, I believe Dsnuts has noted that this set is very good for that and getting some other opinions is only beneficial. I did sample some classical music mixes from the London Philharmonic Orchestra featuring Edvard Gried, Beethoven, Vivaldi, Wagner, Chopin and Samuel Barber. I was left generally satisfied as each instrument was clearly represented, had resonance, energy and did not feel claustrophobic. The type of Indian music I like, sounded amazing btw, I get a bit of that with my world fusion mixes. I'll link such an example but it passes my inspection.

Wonderful to hear that (both the composition and your raves on how it plays orchestral to intimate classical)! Thanks.

The soundstage on it is big and holographic type? (Getting greedier now!).

Feb 1, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #1,899 of 2,420

I definitely get more lower mids with the 1 switch which seems to be an after effect of the increase of bass.
It seems the tuning switches work similarly to the Turbo

Would be immediately clear if we can find a graph of these IEM

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #1,900 of 2,420
I am guessing around 7-8dbs of upper mids which is just right imo for clarity and presence in the upper mids. Lower mids are not as forward as the upper mids especially for the reference mode. However I do believe the bass switch brings the lower mids to be more forward in the mix. Overall the mids are clean, airy and detailed. Its not a forward sounding mids like you would hear on Penon IEMs. I dont think it is recessed on the other hand either. More on a neutral level of emphasis than anything. A bit laid back but the imaging for the mids clearly makes up for it and brings an airy quality to the mids that is very addictive.

[FWIW this is not a first impression, but more of a thoughtful reaction]

***D was flippin right, X is PHENOMENAL and damn-near brand redefining for TSMR.

U gotta understand, with every TSMR in my stable (TSMR-5, Land, Sands) I've always resorted to some level of soft mod (narrow-bore eartips, copper cables, mesh filters, foam filters, etc) to lion-tame & massage the highs. It was the only way for me to truly enjoy the clear & concise clarity TSMR famously produces.

Ootb in ref mode (d-u-d for 1-2-3 switches), the sound was nothing short of amazing in musicality while maintaining transparent clarity... with surprisingly full & satisfying low end freq reproduction.

I truly can't explain how unbelievably extraordinary & utterly impressive this set is... (to me) it's like combining the very best iem DNA of Land, Sands, Simgot EA1000, SoundRhyme SR8 & SR5, and Hidizs MP145 with TSMR tuning alchemy.

I was gonna outro with a "X Gon Give It to Ya!" DMX quote (RIP&P DMX), but instead all I can say is...
- You really need to hear TSMR-X so you can fully understand (and appreciate) what was accomplished here.

To TSMR: Bravo 👏 Bravo 👏

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,901 of 2,420
Truly can't explain how unbelievably extraordinary & utterly impressive this set is... (to me) it's like combining the very best iem DNA of Land, Sands, Simgot EA1000, SoundRhyme SR8 & SR5, and Hidizs MP145 with TSMR tuning alchemy.
If only you hadn't underplayed it and got in some proper raving instead, I would buy it immediately.

Oh well...I seem to recall a Penon mail on this. Will look it up now to see the moolah ...

Feb 1, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #1,902 of 2,420
If only you hadn't underplayed it and got in some proper raving instead, I would buy it immediately.

Oh well...I seem to recall a Penon mail on this. Will look it up now to see the moolah ...
Rave? Silly me, whatever could I've been thinking 🤪😂😊

- Seriously, u gotta hear this thing; beyond words replay.

- Other brands hope to aspire to this level of expert tuning and music reproduction... it's that damn good.

Ok, Is that enough raving...? 😏😎😊

[And to quell any confusion in my intent, text, &/or tone, this is a positive energy, no worries, no shade, no hate, all love reply/post]
✌️

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #1,903 of 2,420
[FWIW this is not a first impression, but more of a thoughtful reaction]

***D was flippin right, X is PHENOMENAL and damn-near brand redefining for TSMR.

U gotta understand, with every TSMR in my stable (TSMR-5, Land, Sands) I've always resorted to some level of soft mod (narrow-bore eartips, copper cables, mesh filters, foam filters, etc) to lion-tame & massage the highs. It was the only way for me to truly enjoy the clear & concise clarity TSMR famously produces.

Ootb in ref mode (d-u-d for 1-2-3 switches), the sound was nothing short of amazing in musicality while maintaining transparent clarity... with surprisingly full & satisfying low end freq reproduction.

I truly can't explain how unbelievably extraordinary & utterly impressive this set is... (to me) it's like combining the very best iem DNA of Land, Sands, Simgot EA1000, SoundRhyme SR8 & SR5, and Hidizs MP145 with TSMR tuning alchemy.

I was gonna outro with a "X Gon Give It to Ya!" DMX quote (RIP&P DMX), but instead all I can say is...
- You really need to hear TSMR-X so you can fully understand (and appreciate) what was accomplished here.

To TSMR: Bravo 👏 Bravo 👏
Now you understand why I have been on my soap box on this one. It is definitely praiseworthy.
I was the exact same way when I first heard them. I realized I was the first person on headfi to actually get to hear this masterpiece of sound.

I think folks that have a few Tansio Mirai's will understand the best as you can hear the progress toward what the X is.

I think they nailed it with this one. And now you can understand why Penon has the RP sound value at $699. You tell me at $699 people aren't going to rave about that sound?

These IEMs have single handedly taken my full attention within the last week or so I have been testing and listening to them. They are difficult to analyze as you get so lost in your music with them. Each track is a treat to listen to on these and it's not just a one trick pony and that is what makes them great imo.

On a side note. I got such a good deal on this thing you guys might have seen on the front pages of headfi.
1706848130618.png

This thing is on its way to me so I can mate it with my DX300Max. Just so I can throw the TSMR-X on it. Don't know, it was strange. My pair of X was telling me it needs this thing. It had a clear voice and it was talking to me and giving me orders.

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #1,904 of 2,420
For my EF400, I have settled on Switch #3. The bass ends up working out much better on the songs that I was having issues with before.
Wonderful to hear that (both the composition and your raves on how it plays orchestral to intimate classical)! Thanks.

The soundstage on it is big and holographic type? (Getting greedier now!).

TLDR: Yes and yes.

For holographic testing and stage I like to lean on Yosi Horikawa alot. When I think of stage, I usually like to see if something sounds inside my head or outside my head and can I make out where the sounds are coming from rather than just a blob of sound.

On the track Bubbles, regarding stage, the X seems to be very good and creating an illusion of sounds being projected outside of my head, not far but much better than what I am used to from other IEMs. In my collection I think that most notable in stage is my Final Audio A4000 and that wide nozzle Reecho Dawn SG-01 Mr Moose was loving on (Good set btw). I believe the A4000 was praised quite a bit for the soundstage. This set at least competes on that level or better.

When I think of holographic imaging, I think of those old holographic arcade machines that project an image and it looks like its something you could reach out and touch. I think sound can replicate this same effect if done right. Can the IEM or headphone create a 3D like image in your mind and place it into a space where my brain thinks that I can reach out and touch it as it floats through the stage?

Now back to bubbles, did it present a 3D life like image fooling me into thinking I could reach out to touch whatever bouncing objects were there in front of me rolling and bouncing away like somebody was playing with them on a table infront of me? On the V6 it almost had me believing I was on the cusp of being able to reach my hand out and touch these objects. I love IEMs that do more than just playback music but lets you experience it and I'm not talking about through cheap venue speakers. The EF400, not quite there but I did appreciate how sounds were still being projected. Perhaps this is the results of the more neutral nature of my V6 rather than the R2R EF400 which can tend to smooth and add warmth to things, which I don't think in this case is going to give me an edge into getting the crispiest and most life like detail imo.

I might have heard 1 or two Hifiman headphones that could trick my brain into thinking that these objects bouncing around in bubbles where infact tangible objects I could touch by reaching out my hand, to me that is holography that I am looking for. I think what I am hearing here is still above and beyond.

Onto the track Wandering. When you listen to the footsteps as the person is traversing what sounds like a loose gravel or snowy path with some big winter boots, it sounds like you are in the shoes of this person who is traveling this path and the noise comes off as natural as you would hear it in life with no artificial walls trapping the sound in with you, like you would get with a more narrow sounding intimate sets and even some headphones (looking at you Audeze MM100). I found that Switch #3 helped a lot to a degree as well.

In my general playback, the X has a pretty wide sounding stage and it's not just limited to the two tracks I'm referencing here, it's about as good as I think it gets and the imaging on this one is convincing enough that the term holographic is doable here. Hopefully how I explained myself helps you understand what I am trying to communicate

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #1,905 of 2,420
When I think of holographic imaging, I think of those old holographic arcade machines that project an image and it looks like its something you could reach out and touch. I think sound can replicate this same effect if done right. Can the IEM or headphone create a 3D like image in your mind and place it into a space where my brain thinks that I can reach out and touch it as it floats through the stage?

Now back to bubbles, did it present a 3D life like image fooling me into thinking I could reach out to touch whatever bouncing objects were there in front of me rolling and bouncing away like somebody was playing with them on a table infront of me?

The more I hear about the staging of this IEM:

7A371A64-A9D8-4ADA-B70F-91C626D52ABE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back