Tansio Mirai Impressions Thread
May 26, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #736 of 2,421
Spark FR looks similar to Land FR...

May 26, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #737 of 2,421
I will get to a more complete comparison of the LAND and the SPARK but the LAND is all about the bass and treble and while the mids are excellent plays more of a supportive role in the overall tuning of the LAND. There is more treble and upper mids energy coming from the LANDs in comparison.

Balancing is better on the Sparks. Mids especially stand out for me on the Sparks even more so than the LAND. I can tell just by the tonal quality the Sparks are probably using Sonion BAs for the mids. There is a holographic rich tonal character to the Sparks that are as addictive as the Penon Volts when it comes to the mids but even more holographic. The Sparks is off setting the need for a more prominent lower treble by using a single BA for the lower treble which was also used on the LAND. This is optimizing the treble area to be more complete with more energy and presence for the lower treble. The Sparks are more refined in that regard with the right combination of presence, detail, very good treble extension and sparkle.

Bass of course is where the LAND is more prominent and has an excellent 10mm dynamic doing bass vs the Sparks. But taken as a whole the Sparks is definitley at a different level the detail in the bass for BAs is damn good. Bass tone from instruments to syntheic bass is represented with very accurate tone for the bass region on the Sparks. Sheer quantitiy will be won by the LAND with a deeper rumble but other than that the Sparks is clearly a flagship level sound in every way.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #738 of 2,421
Yes... Actually shortlisted ThieAudio Oracle, TSMR LAND, Ibasso IT07.... So have to Decide between Oracle & LAND now :)
I have neither the Land nor the Oracle, so take this with a teeny tiny grain of salt. It seems, based on impressions, reviews, graphs, that the Land is more V-shaped in tuning, though not with recessed mids necessarily. It has a more fun and exciting tuning. The Excalibur seems like it would be more similar to the Land. The Oracle seems to be more neutral, with some boosted sub-bass. It probably has a more relaxing signature.

I think the MEST didnt need much burn in for some reason. Some manufacturers burn in their stuff as a part of quality control so who knows. I always burn in my stuff no matter what I get. But out of the box if this is the sound I am getting from the Spark. I am not gonna complain. Lol.
My OG MEST also didn’t seem to need any burn-in time.

Exciting to read initial impressions on the Spark. Perhaps it can challenge the Anole V14? I wonder how the soundstage and imaging is compared to the MEST?

May 26, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #739 of 2,421
The only real issue I see with the Spark is with its included accessories package more specifically the included cable. This is something I posted on my review of the LAND but the Sparks pretty much come with the same accessories package including the same exact standard grade SPC cable that is included from their TSMR-5 and up.

I recently did a review of Fiios FH5s $250 earphone and the included accessories on them is lavish in comparison. But where the Sparks make up for this is their sound obviously.

This is where things take a bit of complicated turn. I have yet to use the stock cable. I know it is ample but it is no where near optimizing what the Sparks can do. I don't use the included cable on the LAND either.

So if any of you guys reading this are considering a purchase I would actually get the PAC480 on Penon web site and yes that is another $50 to spend over what the Sparks cost but will be worth using something more premium/ substantial especially if you plan on going balanced vs the included cable which is single ended only.

Sound stage and imaging is is a strong suit of the MESTs and also the Sparks. Both exhibit some outstanding stage for earphones I think the MEST might be a bit wider but that is due to the scooped out mids they have. Imaging is presented differently. Sparks imaging is more immersive imo since you get clean layers of rich sounding mids all over your hearing. the MEST on the other hand has this broad wider imaging that works great with larger recordings but not so great for more intimate vocal driven tracks for example which can sound distant more so than intimate at times.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #740 of 2,421
Sound stage and imaging is is a strong suit of the MESTs and also the Sparks. Both exhibit some outstanding stage for earphones I think the MEST might be a bit wider but that is due to the scooped out mids they have. Imaging is presented differently. Sparks imaging is more immersive imo since you get clean layers of rich sounding mids all over your hearing. the MEST on the other hand has this broad wider imaging that works great with larger recordings but not so great for more intimate vocal driven tracks for example which can sound distant more so than intimate at times.

100% agree re intimate vocals on the MEST, plus a lot of rock, indie etc in general personally, it hasn't sounded right for me, I've struggled with imaging and soundstage in this regard. Big, large and well produced recordings are where they absolutely shine in my listening experience - cinematic ambient music with deep layers, sampling and complexity is just spectacular on MEST MKII. I tried some classical this evening also and as expected, wonderful. Plus of course jazz and most electronic music... lots to love and I hold them in high regard for these incredible experiences.

May 26, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #741 of 2,421
I will get to a more complete comparison of the LAND and the SPARK but the LAND is all about the bass and treble and while the mids are excellent plays more of a supportive role in the overall tuning of the LAND. There is more treble and upper mids energy coming from the LANDs in comparison.

Balancing is better on the Sparks. Mids especially stand out for me on the Sparks even more so than the LAND. I can tell just by the tonal quality the Sparks are probably using Sonion BAs for the mids. There is a holographic rich tonal character to the Sparks that are as addictive as the Penon Volts when it comes to the mids but even more holographic. The Sparks is off setting the need for a more prominent lower treble by using a single BA for the lower treble which was also used on the LAND. This is optimizing the treble area to be more complete with more energy and presence for the lower treble. The Sparks are more refined in that regard with the right combination of presence, detail, very good treble extension and sparkle.

Bass of course is where the LAND is more prominent and has an excellent 10mm dynamic doing bass vs the Sparks. But taken as a whole the Sparks is definitley at a different level the detail in the bass for BAs is damn good. Bass tone from instruments to syntheic bass is represented with very accurate tone for the bass region on the Sparks. Sheer quantitiy will be won by the LAND with a deeper rumble but other than that the Sparks is clearly a flagship level sound in every way.
Excellent explanation ......... I seem to really understand what you meant in relation to the difference in the low range between Land and Spark above all

May 26, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #743 of 2,421
This is a good question. Each TSMR model I have heard all have good balancing as a foundation to the sound. They always include tuning switches to all their models too so the idea there is you can add or take away a bit of a region 2-3 dbs. All BA earphones have been in the market for a long time and this is what Tansio Marai is making a name for themselves with. Really the most different out of these as you guys can guess would be the LAND. All TSMR models have good to great mids. Never heard one being too shouty or overly recessed in the mids. Each successive model has an increase of BAs for added fidelity slight tweaking in different parts of the sound tuning. They mostly all use Sonion BAs for bass. All of them use resin semi custom housing and all have similar shape too.

They always use premium BAs. Speaking of which I took a good look inside the shells and it seems most of the BAs being used are in deed Sonion. Dual acupass vented Sonion BAs X2 for mid and lower bass. Two Sonion BAs for mids. The treble end I didn't see a label on so it could be a knowles not certain. ESTs are all Sonion.

May 26, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #744 of 2,421
So, if I understand correctly ...... before Land and Spark, Tansio Mirai's best iem was the Zodiac. But unlike Land and Spark it is a full BA. So a real comparison would be inappropriate to do.

May 26, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #745 of 2,421
Well Tansio marai is utilizing the obvious advantages of other drivers in both their Land and spark to advance their tunings. You can say the Zodiac and even their TSMR-10 was the peak of their all BA iems but now with the advantages of a dynamic for bass and ESTs for upper treble. It makes logical sense for them to explore other drivers to advance their sound.

This earphone hobby is always moving forward and at this point if you add one or two more BA for a 10 or a 12BA earphone it is not gonna get you the advancement for sonics like a dynamic and a EST in the mix would. I always thought the TSMR-3 pro was the best representative of their tuning philosophy and each successive earphone adding slight tweaks beyond that but you get to a certain level and then you gotta try something new.

We got something new and both the LAND and the SPARKS are what was the result and both are fantastic.

May 26, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #746 of 2,421
I really love Land but I understand Spark play in another league mostly on mids and highs, to my taste I’m sure I’d miss DD Land because is very fast and not heavy.
Tansio Mirai aren’t for basshead for sure and its bass is a right refinement, definitely.

Mr. Tansio Mirai could you try to design an IEM with 2DD and 4 EST?!?😆

I remember this one…
https://penonaudio.com/rose-miracle-est.html

May 26, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #748 of 2,421
I’ve been waiting for an IEM 4EST+3BA+2DD at reasonable price. Tansio Mirai ####?
On paper is very interesting but maybe needs a lot of space and demanding crossover, I thought 2 kind of driver would be easy to tune and get better tonal/timber performance…
Spark feedback says it compared to tri Hybrid Land Design.

May 26, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #750 of 2,421
It’s do able, will it be affordable? Empire Ears ODIN EE 4EST+5BA+2DD. Perhaps, Tansio Mirai design something similar and affordable for poor audiophile like myself 😔
Weapon double DD is an EE driver, don’t forget Tansio Mirai is little boutique with a great tuner but dunno if he can have something like that driver.
I meant different design, large DD for bass (10-12mm), medium DD for Mids (6mm) and 4EST.
Anyway Land is growing day by day and pairs wonderfully with M8🥰

Users who are viewing this thread

Back