Tangent PPA
Jul 7, 2004 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

tangent

Top Mall-Fi poster. The T in META42.
Formerly with Tangentsoft Parts Store
Just this little thing I whipped up...
eggosmile.gif

tangent-ppa-outside.jpg

Panel by FPE, knob by DACT, chassis by PAR Metals.

...and inside:

tangent-ppa-inside.jpg

Left front, a DACT CT-2. On the board, OPA637/627s driving Glassman v3 buffers. Power supply...no, it isn't a STEPS.
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 51
Nice work.

Question though.
You've got AC ground going from the IEC to a bolt in the rear panel of the chassis. Where does that other ground wire attached to the bolt go to. It appears to be going to the RCA's (Signal ground) ??

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 51
Quote:

What color is the led

There is no LED there. Without making an electronic switching circuit, there is no way to turn on an LED when the bass boost is enabled. You could manage it if there were a 3PDT version of the switch by taking over one of the poles, but no dice...

That's one reason I chose to put a blue lens on the power switch even though the LED is also blue. It keeps the expectation that one is always blue and the other always stays white.

Quote:

Where does that other ground wire attached to the bolt go to.

Input ground, by way of a 10 ohms 5W resistor. That's the white block you can see below the jacks.

It's necessary because the attenuator chassis is connected to the case and thereby to AC ground, so there needs to be an indirect connection to signal ground to prevent a ground loop. Instead of doing that, I could have insulated the pot from the case and grounded it to input ground on the board. There's no compelling reason to do it the way I did it; I just didn't have the right insulating washers on hand for this attenuator, but I did have the resistor.

Quote:

I wish it were cheaper :p

What price snob appeal?
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

how does glassmans buffers sounds

It's too early to say anything more than that I like them better than a set of 5002s.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 51
Quote:

What are the switches?

NKK KB series.

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #9 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
Input ground, by way of a 10 ohms 5W resistor. That's the white block you can see below the jacks.

It's necessary because the attenuator chassis is connected to the case and thereby to AC ground, so there needs to be an indirect connection to signal ground to prevent a ground loop. Instead of doing that, I could have insulated the pot from the case and grounded it to input ground on the board. There's no compelling reason to do it the way I did it; I just didn't have the right insulating washers on hand for this attenuator, but I did have the resistor.

And why not better isolating the AC ground form the case???
confused.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:20 AM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

why not better isolating the AC ground form the case???

Because I don't want to be electrocuted if there is a supply short to ground.

Quote:

So the "real" ppa PS is coming ?

Could be, could be.

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 51
Studly amp, Tangent. Looking forward to hearing more details about those Glassman buffers.

Quote:

So the "real" ppa PS is coming?

There is no "real" PPA PS, although Tangent's STEPS is a good and convenient supply to use if you want something better than an Elpac wallwart. It sounds like Tangent has been working on a new PS, but that is his project.

Jul 7, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
..I like them better than a set of 5002s.

thanks, seems like design goal reached
tongue.gif

I'll second Christina, looking forward to some more in-depth review of them
wink.gif

Jul 7, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #15 of 51
very sexy.

What case is that, and how much did it cost. Also how did u get the text etc on the front pannel?

I need a case for my gilmore before i electrocute myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back