Talk me into/out of Archos 5 250GB
Aug 14, 2009 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sportster44

Head-Fier
Hi,

Been lurking here a while and have found the forums to be a fantastic source for opinions in audiophile gear. Thanks to my lurking I am really enjoying my SE-530s.
Now my dilemma: Currently running a Sony MZ-RH10 Hi-MD Mini disc player, with all my music in ATRAC 320 kbps on MD, and 320kbps mp3 on my desktop. Sound is great; love the little thing, only issues are with 50+ minidiscs to haul around and Sonicstage being flaky to use.

I'm leaning towards a HDD based music player where I would like at least 120Gb and really good SQ to go with my IEMs. I'm really wanting the Archos 5 as I think the SQ is better than the current ipods, but reviews have been mediocre from a build quality and customer service standpoint.

Was wondering what otheroptions I would have that would match up well with my Shures.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Don't know about the Archos, but the Zune 120 is what l use and my SE530s sounded great out of it. Much better than the iPod Classic I tried it with.

Also, I would expect major upgrades to the Zune software when the new Zune HD is released next month. I also don't think there is a better deal around than the Zune marketplace, although we can't get it yet in Canada.

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 11
Hm i got the 60go version. No problem with build quality so dont know about customer service.
Archos improved SQ, about the same than iPod. i like it, probably the best for videos and good enough for audio.

Sorry for my english
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the input. Listened to the ipod classic and the Archos back to back at FS and the Archos blew the ipod out of the water in my opinion.
No chance to try the zune, everyone here seems to be sold out of 120s. As for the HD, storage seems to small for my liking.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 11
I would suggest you search "Archos 5 forums" in google and go to a couple. About 70 percent of all topics are talking about their Archos 5 either breaking or resetting multiple times. From what I have read it is not a reliable product.

Also bad occurrences most of the time with customer service isn't too good either.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Just landed the 250GB Archos 5 for $200 shipped from their site. Very nice so far. It plays flac and comes with many neat features. I already bought the DVR station and will hook it up with my plasma TV and DHA3000.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't know about the Archos, but the Zune 120 is what l use and my SE530s sounded great out of it. Much better than the iPod Classic I tried it with.

Also, I would expect major upgrades to the Zune software when the new Zune HD is released next month. I also don't think there is a better deal around than the Zune marketplace, although we can't get it yet in Canada.

MS announced today that they are discontinuing the Zune lineup, except for the HD. So not sure how much more support they will deliver for the older models. They will keep selling them until they run out. Could be some good deals, though.

And I too really like my Zune80.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ch...s-soon-443239/

Sep 16, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Well, bought the 250 GB unit from future Shop with a 3yr warranty. so far no issues, found the EQ almost useless, and the sound with mp3 (320 kbps) flat compared to my trusty Sony RH-10. Added a bit of treble usinf MP3 doctor pro and all is good... really good. Now to fill it up!

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sportster44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, bought the 250 GB unit from future Shop with a 3yr warranty. so far no issues, found the EQ almost useless, and the sound with mp3 (320 kbps) flat compared to my trusty Sony RH-10. Added a bit of treble usinf MP3 doctor pro and all is good... really good. Now to fill it up!

Just picked up the Archos 5 250 GB. Like it very much. No issue w/ the EQ, actually sounds very good straight up and through all my amps. Really like the web radio, great app. It is a little slow to navigate, but much easier to type on than my Ipod. So far very happy with the unit and good value, ($195) refurb. Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back