Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 6, 2018 at 5:26 AM Post #1,891 of 4,538
The driver might produce slightly more bass distortion at high volume which might be heard as extra warmth. That’s probably quite likely with the Takstar drivers.

Try lower volume with bass boost perhaps?

May 6, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,892 of 4,538
May 6, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #1,894 of 4,538
That has to be the first review of the Pro 82 I've read that takes a shot at the carrying case, calling it "comically over-done". Every other account I've read has praised the case, not knocked it.

I also don't get the "honky" description of the sound. That adjective to me, implies distorted sound not resolving detail... nothing could be further from the truth with the Pro 82 IMO.

I agree with his assessment of the bass levels.

I don't agree with the assessment of the treble, but being over the age of 50, it could very well be that I'm not hearing the uppermost frequencies that are creating that assessment. I personally don't find the Pro 82 fatiguing on the middle bass setting, even over 4-8 hours. Again, the lack of uppermost treble frequencies in my hearing could be the cause.

I never considered swapping the pads, so nonreplaceble pads are a nonissue for me.

They’re strictly average…and they feel a bit more insubstantial than some cheaper headphones and headsets I’ve used in the past. I don’t think they’re going to fall apart if you breathe on them or anything….but they don’t feel as nice in the hands as the other headphones they’re clearly inspired by.

I don't agree with his build quality assessment, but all of mine are the silver version, not the black. If anything, the build quality is great for the price IMO.

Meh. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

May 6, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #1,895 of 4,538
I think they are gorgeous except for the tacky Takstar logo on the cups... :unamused: And comfort is stellar in my opinion.

May 7, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,896 of 4,538
I've measured the bass boost on FIIO E6 (the values are at 1kHz):
upload_2018-5-8_2-55-43.png

They took an interesting strategy with the red bass boost (EQ1) - instead of boosting the bass more, they lowered everything else :jecklinsmile:
Horrible idea, which completely ruins SQ across the entire frequency range.

The blue bass boost (EQ2) is quite usable though, it boosts bass 6dB with far less SQ impact than having Pro 82's bass port fully open.
Obviously, this BB is far from being the best among the HW-based BBs I've measured before (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...scussion-thread.849965/page-125#post-14212239) , but considering the price and size, it's as good as it could have been.

May 8, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #1,898 of 4,538
hello there,
Yes, you would be correct. There is a thin ring just below the pad that will snap off that holds the ear cushion on. You need to be very careful and remove it evenly and slow to prevent breaking any of the clips. I replaced one of my pairs with Branwavz pads, and turned out really well. Just be careful and it should go smoothly.

May 8, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #1,899 of 4,538
How does one go about removing the earpads on these headphones? I can't directly see them but I can feel some plastic clips under the earpads. Do I just yank the pads off? Do I have to pull in some specific spots?
Don't.
There is a reason why the pads are glued - this improves isolation and bass response.
If you don't like Pro 82 - don't change the pads, change the headphone.

May 8, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,900 of 4,538
These pads are not glued on. I've already modified a set, and it is perfectly normal to do such a procedure. A great sounding pair of headphones that may not be comfortable doesn't mean you shouldn't own them. There is a reason why Brainwavz sells aftermarket pads. Comfort is equally important, so as long as you are careful, and have patience, then it is totally alright to modify them. Granted, the sound signature may change a little, but that doesn't mean in a bad way either. I'm glad I modified my pair.

May 8, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #1,902 of 4,538
Here are a couple of links that might help you out. The first link are some pictures with the ear pads removed. The replacement pads will need a little modifying. You will need to cut out the holes like the ones shown in the pictures. As long as you take your time, and just be careful, you should have no problems. The worst that can happen, is you wreck the replacement pads, which are fairly inexpensive. Here are the links:

http://diyah.boards.net/thread/1627/takstar-pro-82?page=2

https://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Re...pID=41vuwIZESZL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

May 9, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #1,903 of 4,538
hello there,
Yes, you would be correct. There is a thin ring just below the pad that will snap off that holds the ear cushion on. You need to be very careful and remove it evenly and slow to prevent breaking any of the clips.

Don't.
There is a reason why the pads are glued - this improves isolation and bass response.

Now you guys have really confused me. The pads themselves are glued on to the plastic rings, is that right? Are the plastic rings glued to the headphones too? That sounds like a big unnecessary mess.
I don't want to replace the earpads, I just want to take a look at the inside of the headphones out of curiosity.

May 9, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #1,904 of 4,538
May 9, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,905 of 4,538
Now you guys have really confused me. The pads themselves are glued on to the plastic rings, is that right? Are the plastic rings glued to the headphones too? That sounds like a big unnecessary mess.
I don't want to replace the earpads, I just want to take a look at the inside of the headphones out of curiosity.

The Pro 82 pads are glued onto a retaining ring which is then snapped into the cup through plastic clips along the ring. You can remove the pads easily enough by undoing the clips and pulling. They are thin plastic and can snap if not careful though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back