Taking Koss Portapro to the Limit (cool mods).
May 13, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #46 of 143
My MOD is focused in simply removing as much of protective plate as possible, I dont like solid difractive objects in the way of the sound.
Holes are not very neat, but again, in difractors realm, very regular shapes are not my cup of tea. 
After I made the cuts you see in the pic I dumped a very lil enamel drop in the very center of the mebrane to break standing waves and avoid some slight glare in the upper mids.
If the result is a lil too bright for you and you prefer a more laid back upper mids, you can glue over the center cicular hole a very thin circle of foam similar in quality, density and thickness to the ear cushions´ foam. 
The result is superb. The final product sounds louder, bass solid and firm, mids more transparent and extended highs. Gone that lil nasal tint.

NOTE. If you choose to perform this mod, make sure the enamel you pick does not attack the membrane material. Usually nail enamel will do the job safely.

Jun 13, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #47 of 143
Just did some quick mods on my pair.

Kramer mod (3mm drill & extra with sharp knife/ needle files).

I tried to do a quarter mod but still found the standard foam uncomfortable.
Next, I tried a pair of cheap PX-200 pads, but they were too small and inhibited some sound.

Finally, I realised: I had a pair of "broken" Skullcandy something-or-others I can cannibalize!
Ripped the nice big pleather pads out and secured them to my PortaPros with some hot glue.

Result:

Also, I would like to add I'm NOT trying to make them look like baby beats or anything :wink:

Jun 17, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #53 of 143
Just tried this one for fun.  These are Sennheiser HD25-1 II velour pads on my Porta Pro's.  The opening in the back of the Senn pads fits very nearly exactly around the foam pads of the Porta Pro.  They won't stay on without some help, so in this little experiment, I used double stick tape.  That worked pretty well, but if you wanted to do this permanently, you'd need to find some glue that is compatible with the foam of the Koss pads.  The back of the Senn pads is covered with pleathor, and it shouldn't be a problem for them.

The Senn pads take the drivers a bit further out from the ear and seem to reduce bass a little.  But it also seems to reduce a bit of the airiness I like in the Porta Pro.  One thing I noticed immediately was a slight increase in depth of soundstage.

The biggest problem with this mod is the cost of the pads themselves.  I happened to have them already, so not a problem for me, but otherwise they are 2/3rds the cost of the headphones themselves. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #55 of 143
Quote:
You could try and fashion a disc of some sort to place the HD25 pads on. 

I decided to do a bit more experimentation with these pads.  I had an old set of Sony MDR V150's that I hated, but luckily the headband and forks were broken and I no longer needed them.  I knew the outer section of the cups on those Sony's fit the Senn HD25 pads perfectly, so I disassembled the cups to see what I could get.

Here is the outer face plate of the Sony :

It had a small tab near the center that had to go, and I removed the swivel arms as well.  This left three friction holders that the Koss driver and housing fit in fairly well.  It wasn't tight enough for me though and I put some hot melt glue inside the friction holders.  This locks the driver housing in place.

I also put a small circular pad of foam over the drivers so hair wouldn't get into them. 

Here is the result:

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #56 of 143
I'm not sure I'll keep them like this.  There are some downsides.  The temple pads are now useless, since they don't come close to touching anything.  Luckily this mod is easy to reverse.

Sound isn't terribly different, though the bass isn't quite as prominent.  Overall warm tone is retained. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #58 of 143
OK, after spending a few days with them, I take it back:

The Skullcandy pleather is quite uncomfortable after all!

I'll try to see if I have any other cans I can sacrifice (HD205?) for experimentation, but I may just bite the bullet & buy some more expensive foam...

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #59 of 143
Quote:
OK, after spending a few days with them, I take it back:

The Skullcandy pleather is quite uncomfortable after all!

I'll try to see if I have any other cans I can sacrifice (HD205?) for experimentation, but I may just bite the bullet & buy some more expensive foam...

I remember liking the HD 25-1 pads a lot. These are probably fakes, but they seem ok. Also WeSC pads are pretty similar.

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #60 of 143
Hi all,

this thread is what made me mod my koss portapro, and right now i've done the kramer mod (mesh mod) and put grado sr60 cushions on it.

Now what i'm trying to find out is if it's possible to put the grado G-cushions on there.(be it with a bit of modding)

i have no idea where i could see them in-store, in the netherlands i can't seem to find them anywhere.

- CH23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back