TakeT H2 Amplification
Aug 24, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
I've read almost everything I can get my hands on regarding this subject... however I still have a few questions directed at the parties who may have some relevant and authoritative information on the subject:

-I've read that directly driving them via a dedicated amp is a superior option vs. applying the TR2 transformer to a speaker amplifier output. Is this because speaker amplifiers, even when coupled with the TR2 transformer, can't deliver the proper voltage that the H2 requires? I recently read up about my speaker amplifier, and the documentation claims a 30v slew rate with 50v peak to peak... with the TR2 applied, would this be sufficient?*

-Evidently, Kevin Gilmore designed a modification to the KGSS which would allow the proper amount of power to be delivered... has anyone had this type of KGSS built?

-One of the biggest concerns I have is bass. I'm going to apply a detailed EQ to neutralize the frequency response but I can only do this to peaks and slight dips... the bass needs to be deep (down to 15 hertz if possible) and plentiful enough in the first place as if I EQ it up the driver probably won't be able to handle it. I imagine the direct drive solution would provide the best results in this area? Does the H2 even resolve frequencies that low (this can be checked using a sine generator)?

Now, the reason I'm so curious about these headphones is this: they seem like the perfect drivers to pair with the Smyth Realiser.
This is due to the extremely high transient response and visceral impact, as while the Realiser can control the frequency response via a perfect EQ, it cannot make up for a headphone's speed or impact. Couple the H2 and Realiser with proper amplification and tactile transducers, and you might have one of the most desirable headphone system configurations for faithful reproduction of the experience of loudspeaker listening (with the added benefit of detail imparted by the piezoelectric driver).

*http://www.allegrosound.com/Mitsubishi_DA-A15DC.html <-- That's my amplifier (the A10DC).

Aug 24, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #2 of 3
The TakeT H2 is a $2k headphones that uses a  [size=11pt]Polymer Piezo-electro Heil type driver. This type of driver is best for the treble not the bass. I have not hear a [size=small]Heil type driver [/size] ever used for the bass. If I was going to hear 15Hz I would just use a separate very big sub woofer. Headphones if producing 15Hz will not have the same experience as the whole body feeling the sub bass.[/size]

Aug 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM Post #3 of 3
^According to just about every impression posted, the H2 has bass to spare (too much so in some cases). 
I understand that hearing 15hz is not the same as feeling it; my phone produce an audible 15hz but it's just a sound vs. a feeling. That's why my idea of using in conjunction with a tactile transducer, which could then help replicate the feeling of subbass.

In anycase, if some one who has owned them totally dispels that attribute about the H2 I would have to reconsider my outlook... but currently I'm mostly concerned with addressing amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back