T1 with WA2 vs HE-500 with Lyr
May 3, 2012 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Szadzik

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to hear opinions about and comparison of these two combos. 

I am especially interested in:

Clarity
Brightness
Bass
Comfort
Overal value ofr money (WA2+T1 = $2300 while Lyr+HE-500 = $1150)

May 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
Any opinions guys?

Heya,

If you're interested in getting high end sound on a dime, I would explore the Hifiman HE-500 and the NFB-12.1, that's $900 new with some shipping added in. The HE-500 is not overly bright, it's very natural sounding, with superb mids, and warm deep bass, holds flat and strong all the way to 30hz before it starts to roll off, still does 25hz even, but it starts to fall there. It's very clear, crisp, again, the most natural sound I've heard out of a lot of headphones. Comfort is subjective, I find it comfortable enough to wear even for a heavy headphone, and I have both velour & leather pads for mine, I'm using the leather pads a little more lately just to see how I like it compared to velour. I like both so far, not much difference other than how it feels. The ortho isn't going to have quite the "3d-esque" sound stage of the T1, but the T1 is also brighter. So it's a little trade either way. I really recommend the Hifiman HE-500 with the NFB-12.1 though if you want to save a little money. When you compare $1k to $2k you expect a massive difference, but really, it's a tiny, tiny difference. And frankly the T1 is not better, it's just different. So unless you want to drop the money on the T1, I would definitely go Hifiman.

And if you really want to experience a similar ortho sound on a dime, the Hifiman HE-400 with a simple Fiio E10 will make you wonder why people spend more. It's that good.

But if entering high end, I definitely suggest Hifiman HE-500 and an appropriate dac/amp (NFB-12.1 is my suggestion simply because it has more than enough power and is not expensive yet is good quality). I personally run my Hifiman HE-500's on my Bifrost+Lyr and I like it, but it's significantly more, and frankly, not that much better when you look at cost for performance. For $900 new, the HE-500 and NFB-12.1 is very difficult to beat for a high-end setup on a dime.

Very best,

May 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Heya,

If you're interested in getting high end sound on a dime, I would explore the Hifiman HE-500 and the NFB-12.1, that's $900 new with some shipping added in. The HE-500 is not overly bright, it's very natural sounding, with superb mids, and warm deep bass, holds flat and strong all the way to 30hz before it starts to roll off, still does 25hz even, but it starts to fall there. It's very clear, crisp, again, the most natural sound I've heard out of a lot of headphones. Comfort is subjective, I find it comfortable enough to wear even for a heavy headphone, and I have both velour & leather pads for mine, I'm using the leather pads a little more lately just to see how I like it compared to velour. I like both so far, not much difference other than how it feels. The ortho isn't going to have quite the "3d-esque" sound stage of the T1, but the T1 is also brighter. So it's a little trade either way. I really recommend the Hifiman HE-500 with the NFB-12.1 though if you want to save a little money. When you compare $1k to $2k you expect a massive difference, but really, it's a tiny, tiny difference. And frankly the T1 is not better, it's just different. So unless you want to drop the money on the T1, I would definitely go Hifiman.

And if you really want to experience a similar ortho sound on a dime, the Hifiman HE-400 with a simple Fiio E10 will make you wonder why people spend more. It's that good.

But if entering high end, I definitely suggest Hifiman HE-500 and an appropriate dac/amp (NFB-12.1 is my suggestion simply because it has more than enough power and is not expensive yet is good quality). I personally run my Hifiman HE-500's on my Bifrost+Lyr and I like it, but it's significantly more, and frankly, not that much better when you look at cost for performance. For $900 new, the HE-500 and NFB-12.1 is very difficult to beat for a high-end setup on a dime.

Very best,

Hi,

Excellent post!. 

To explain - I already have a WA2 + T1 combo and am very happy with it. BUT I will be buying my own place back at home and will need to move - that means I will need to minimize and save money. Hence, I am looking to exchange my WA2 and T1 for Lyr with HE-500s :). I would like to know, if a $1000 less compared to the current setup will be as good as I want it and if I should keep the current setup or not.

I would prefer the Lyr instead of NFB, I just cannot be bothered, Lyr is powerful and will be a good investment for the future.

May 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
Hi,

Excellent post!. 

To explain - I already have a WA2 + T1 combo and am very happy with it. BUT I will be buying my own place back at home and will need to move - that means I will need to minimize and save money. Hence, I am looking to exchange my WA2 and T1 for Lyr with HE-500s :). I would like to know, if a $1000 less compared to the current setup will be as good as I want it and if I should keep the current setup or not.

I would prefer the Lyr instead of NFB, I just cannot be bothered, Lyr is powerful and will be a good investment for the future.

Heya,

In that case it's just a matter of preference. You'd have to listen to the HE-500 and judge for yourself. Personally for a $1000 difference, I really don't see a need to go T1+WA2, when you can have HE-500+Lyr for $1000 less basically. That cost difference is the difference of an entire other high-end headphone or even a nice set of speakers. Plus it's a difference of dynamic versus planar magnetic sound signature. I much prefer the mids of planars. If you find your T1 a little bright, and you would prefer a warmer sound with a touch less brightness, the HE-500 might be a good option. If you really like bright stuff, maybe the HE-6 if you want a Hifiman. Nothing wrong with going Lyr, it's excellent, simply throwing out less costly alternatives with gobs of power as well. Again, I like the Lyr and HE-500, I use it as a main with my Bifrost. I've yet to change up high-ends because the HE-500 just has that natural perfect sound to me. But I guess it depends heavily on what you listen to mostly. I listen to a lot of Jazz/Instrumental, and the HE-500 is just butter for it.

Very best,

May 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #7 of 12
As always with this my problem is that I cannot try anything out before buying it. For brightness and clarity I still have SA5000s and I think having HE-500 and SA5000 would be better than SA5000 and T1. I hope there is someone out there who wants to replace his HE500 and Lyr for my combo :).

May 9, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 12
a vote for the WA2/T1 combo here. 

the he-500 with lyr might be a better value for the money since its 1000 dollars cheaper, never heard them though.

the WA2/T1 though is an extremely satisfying combo though that i'm sure rivals much more expensive setups due to its amazing synergy, but it is more expensive. cheapest would probably be a used WA2 for 900 and a T1 for 850-ish which would put it at 1750 minimum, excluding any tube upgrades or cable upgrades you might want...

but yeah its my primary setup and the combo i listen to the most, much more than any of my other headphones. i could easily live with only the WA2/T1 and be very happy with it.

Feb 23, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #12 of 12
  Would nyone who has heard HE-500 say it will complement T1? Maybe, if I decide not to change my setup I could add something like HE-500 to complement it.

I have both the HE-500 and the T1. I tend to think that the two headphones are so different from each other that they will complement each other nicely. 

My current setup is an Uberfrost and Lyr. I'm looking to add a WA2 to pair with the T1 based on the numerous recommendations for this combo. That being said, the HE-500 with a Lyr is pretty fantastic. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that the HE-500 is inferior to the T1. Rather, they are both very different headphones with different sounds. I think it's more a matter of preference. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back