T1 1st gen and 2nd gen comparison?
Jul 17, 2016 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

s82223

Head-Fier
Hello guys!

Just tried to find a decent headphone to settle down.

Went to local dealer several times,but never had a chance to compare t1 1st gen and 2nd gen .

Some reviews said that the 1st gen is better than 2nd gen in terms of vocal which is what I really care about, but other reviews said that 2nd gen is better in every way.

Can anyone briefly tell me the difference between these cans(especially vocal)?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Hello guys!

Just tried to find a decent headphone to settle down.

Went to local dealer several times,but never had a chance to compare t1 1st gen and 2nd gen .

Some reviews said that the 1st gen is better than 2nd gen in terms of vocal which is what I really care about, but other reviews said that 2nd gen is better in every way.

Can anyone briefly tell me the difference between these cans(especially vocal)?

The general consensus is that T1.1 is more neutral, airier and more lively.
On the other hand T1.2 is warmer and more laid back, easier on the ears/more forgiving with less than stellar recordings.

I would say T1.1 might have the edge with vocals on most audiophile recordings, but it can be sharper and overly analyical with modern mainstream music, so keep that in mind.

You might also consider the AKG K712 as a cheper alternative that's voiced similar to the T1.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #3 of 11
My initial impressions from my visit to the Beyer office.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804078/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-t1v2-impressions

The T1.1 does vocals better.  Serial number is another thing to take note of. 

I've brought back my post as a summary.

0 to 3000-4000: The original "T1" sound.  Compared to my late run T1, I have to say it sounds thinner, and the highs definitely more pronounced.  Take note that I had the opportunity to audition these various times, but only in a public setting.  I can't quite imagine how it would sound in quiet setting.  May be even more intense than before.  However, it is easy to see why some would favor these.  Also faced with some interesting manufacturing issues -driver matching, etc.

The "major" retune happened around here.  

10000: Part-Time audiophile reported flabby bass in a unit tested here.  This would correspond with complaints of T1 bass being uncontrolled at times.  There are definitely a couple of those going around.

A minor retune happened around here.  

20000: Coming close to the final T1.1 sound.  It's a refined headphone at this point, and there is really no "shrillness" to the highs (though slight sibilance does come around at times).  It has the so-called "traditional" hi-fi sound (I use this term lazily) and is very, very listenable.  I would think that had this been the sound at release, the T1 wouldn't quite have gotten its bad press.

23000: Gen 2 baffles started being introduced into the T1.  Drivers supposedly the same.  I find this interesting as it would indicate that there was some hesitation as to whether the T1.2 should've been a new standalone product. Perhaps the T1.2 was a reactionary move to the HD800s but this is pure speculation. 

Along the way, physical changes etc. were reported.  Part of why it is also difficult to pin all this down, is the unit-to-unit QC problems that have been reported here and there.  Throw these two into the mix and it's really hard to find a "definitive" T1.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 11
  My initial impressions from my visit to the Beyer office.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804078/beyerdynamic-dt-1770-t1v2-impressions

The T1.1 does vocals better.  Serial number is another thing to take note of. 

I've brought back my post as a summary.

0 to 3000-4000: The original "T1" sound.  Compared to my late run T1, I have to say it sounds thinner, and the highs definitely more pronounced.  Take note that I had the opportunity to audition these various times, but only in a public setting.  I can't quite imagine how it would sound in quiet setting.  May be even more intense than before.  However, it is easy to see why some would favor these.  Also faced with some interesting manufacturing issues -driver matching, etc.

The "major" retune happened around here.  

10000: Part-Time audiophile reported flabby bass in a unit tested here.  This would correspond with complaints of T1 bass being uncontrolled at times.  There are definitely a couple of those going around.

A minor retune happened around here.  

20000: Coming close to the final T1.1 sound.  It's a refined headphone at this point, and there is really no "shrillness" to the highs (though slight sibilance does come around at times).  It has the so-called "traditional" hi-fi sound (I use this term lazily) and is very, very listenable.  I would think that had this been the sound at release, the T1 wouldn't quite have gotten its bad press.

23000: Gen 2 baffles started being introduced into the T1.  Drivers supposedly the same.  I find this interesting as it would indicate that there was some hesitation as to whether the T1.2 should've been a new standalone product. Perhaps the T1.2 was a reactionary move to the HD800s but this is pure speculation. 

Along the way, physical changes etc. were reported.  Part of why it is also difficult to pin all this down, is the unit-to-unit QC problems that have been reported here and there.  Throw these two into the mix and it's really hard to find a "definitive" T1.

I know that some early T1.1 had terrible matching because I've seen graphs exposing this.

Then I've also seen some measurements that suggest that early T1's, even those with relatively good matching were brighter than my T1 (sn. 168xx) and had more treble ringing in CSD measurments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part-Time reporting flabby bass is not useful info to me since I've heard that from each and every headphone on the market, at least once. Recordings, amplifiers and DACs play a role here as well. My T1's bass has more body than HD800 or K702 but it still layered and controlled.

20000 retuning, again not useful for me without some more palpable proof.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gen 2 baffles on the latest T1.1 is correct and some pictures can be seen here on Head-Fi.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 11

I know that some early T1.1 had terrible matching because I've seen graphs exposing this.

Then I've also seen some measurements that suggest that early T1's, even those with relatively good matching were brighter than my T1 (sn. 167xx) and had more treble ringing in CSD measurments.

Part-Time reporting flabby bass is not useful info to me since I've heard that from each and every headphone on the market, at least once. Recordings, amplifiers and DACs play a role here as well. My T1's bass has more body than HD800 or K702 but it still layered and controlled.

20000 retuning, again not useful for me without some more palpable proof.

Gen 2 baffles on the latest T1.1 is correct and some pictures can be seen here on Head-Fi.

Thanks for the input.  I collected this as an attempt to understand a lot of the major observations about the T1, and some of it is indeed more subjective than objective. Btw, there are graphs of the T1 mid-run iirc out there.  Still can't wrap my head around flabby bass T1 though as it really is not how'd I'd begin to describe mine.  
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 11
Base on your impression, seems that there is no key difference between 20000 and 23xxx T1 except for the change of baffles?

So if I want the best T1 in terms of voice presentation, the serial number after 20000 is a better choice?

Jul 17, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 11
Base on your impression, seems that there is no key difference between 20000 and 23xxx T1 except for the change of baffles?

So if I want the best T1 in terms of voice presentation, the serial number after 20000 is a better choice?

The official response that I got was there were no driver changes only a change of baffling. Can't tell you how that would affect the sound as I've never heard one myself. I'd say the 20000 range is safest for the T1. Just my 2c.

Jul 18, 2016 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 11
I wish there were more measurements of the T1.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 11
Agreed. Doesn't help that it isn't one of the more so-called popular ones these days.

Well, yeah. I'm always looking for measurements and as far as I know, the latest measured T1.1 is mine which is sn.168xx. Then I've only seen one T1.2 measurement coming from a unit with only 1 driver working. On top of that, it should be said that it's not possible to compare graphs made using different approaches/compensations, so the possibilities for comparison are extremely limited.

Jul 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 11
  Well, yeah. I'm always looking for measurements and as far as I know, the latest measured T1.1 is mine which is sn.168xx. Then I've only seen one T1.2 measurement coming from a unit with only 1 driver working. On top of that, it should be said that it's not possible to compare graphs made using different approaches/compensations, so the possibilities for comparison are extremely limited.

Yea its hard to keep track of all that. Might I add the distinct "unit variance" issue that the T1 has purportedly been plagued with. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back