T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Aug 1, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #556 of 1,424
Try playing Stevie Wonder's "Mary Wants To Be A Superwoman."  If you question the Altone's bass after that (especially the first 15 seconds of the track) then probably these iems aren't for you.  I'm doing burn-in right now with mine (aside from listening to them) but with 5 hours on them they sound great.  Clarity is where these are at.  I do hope the burn-in brings down the upper treble slightly, Stevie's harmonica on his early stuff is right at the edge of too much in the highest registers.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #558 of 1,424
  Try playing Stevie Wonder's "Mary Wants To Be A Superwoman."  If you question the Altone's bass after that (especially the first 15 seconds of the track) then probably these iems aren't for you.  I'm doing burn-in right now with mine (aside from listening to them) but with 5 hours on them they sound great.  Clarity is where these are at.  I do hope the burn-in brings down the upper treble slightly, Stevie's harmonica on his early stuff is right at the edge of too much in the highest registers.

+1. Highs can get really edgy on certain tracks.

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #559 of 1,424

+1. Highs can get really edgy on certain tracks.

Just so I'm clear, about 99% of what I listen to sounds perfect in the upper trebles.  There are a few tracks, probably mastered a bit hot, which can really get me turning down the volume.  I didn't mean to imply that these iems run hot, just that they can be a bit shrill if the source material is mixed that way.

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #562 of 1,424
  I will echo what others have said that burn in further opens up the sound on these, listening the song bellow with Altones really sends shivers down my spine:

You should see them live . Gosh, couldn't resist 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #563 of 1,424
  question - the dynamic driver is mainly driving the bass? 

I feel the bass is there but seems to be a bit lacking. surprised the TDK BA200 has more and better quality of bass. maybe need more burn in time. 

on the other hand... 

Altone200 vs the TDK BA200: Altone200 has better clarity, better treble extension (a major downside of the BA200) but mids are thinner and a tad more recessed. BA200 is more intimate, warmer and more neutral with thicker mids. both have good separation and detail but because of the clarity on the Altone, it feels more so. soundstage is bigger on the BA200.

Don't know, but somehow I think that the BA200 has an unnatural tuning in terms of mids. The sound stage and the bass especially are nice for a BA, but the mids are so overpowered and weird tuned that I tend to choose other IEMs instead 
confused_face.gif

Aug 1, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #564 of 1,424
Don't know, but somehow I think that the BA200 has an unnatural tuning in terms of mids. The sound stage and the bass especially are nice for a BA, but the mids are so overpowered and weird tuned that I tend to choose other IEMs instead :confused_face:  

Have you listened to the Vsonic GR06? I really disliked the pair I purchased a long time back. Such cloudy sound...

Was worried about my first GR07 purchase cuz of that but ClieOS assured me it's much cleaner sounding. He was right, the rest was history in the making.

Aug 2, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #565 of 1,424
Have you listened to the Vsonic GR06? I really disliked the pair I purchased a long time back. Such cloudy sound...

Was worried about my first GR07 purchase cuz of that but ClieOS assured me it's much cleaner sounding. He was right, the rest was history in the making.

Actually, I haven't tried the GR06 yet, but I've tested the GR07 for just a few mins. Thinking of to purchase the Vivo XE800, just to get a clue what this hype of the GR07 is all about.
Is the GR07 on par with the altone200 in terms of SQ?

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #566 of 1,424
So I have Altone for few days, put over 70 hours of burn in on them and still I'm not sure if I have alright model or bassless one. I compared them to my other IEMs. Compared to Noble 4, Altone has more impact, but overall quantity of bass doesnt seem to be much more bigger. My pair or Tenore has significantly more bass than Altone.

What do you think?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 2, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #567 of 1,424
So I have Altone for few days, put over 70 hours of burn in on them and still I'm not sure if I have alright model or bassless one. I compared them to my other IEMs. Compared to Noble 4, Altone has more impact, but overall quantity of bass doesnt seem to be much more bigger. My pair or Tenore has significantly more bass than Altone.

What do you think?
Do you get any punchiness out of them? Are you able to run test sweeps starting at 10 hz?

Aug 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #569 of 1,424
Yes, I get quite good impact from them. With sweepers, 30HZ is clearly audible on normal volume, 20 with added volume.
That sounds pretty consistent with what mine were like. Brooko And I discussed this in earlier parts of the thread, agreed tones are audible around 23hz. I'm waiting on a replacement for build reasons, I will let you know if I get the same results.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #570 of 1,424
I just listened to (Remastered) The Beatles Abbey Road.  Try "Come Together," the first cut.  Major bass, thundering, all frequencies of it.  Then I listened to The Cure Hits "Friday I'm In Love" and "High."  Bass was much more restrained, but there.  I think the source is really responsible with these.  They just reproduce what's in the source, don't bring anything else to the party.  If you try source that's bass-y like Stevie Wonder or Abbey Road or the artist H20 mentioned, and you don't have big bass, THEN your iems are defective.  Compared just to my Dunus, these are less bass-y, but what they produce is better. If I want to hear lots of bass (even if it's thin source material) I'll use the Dunus.

Oh, and I have about 10-12 hours of burn-in on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back