T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Jul 29, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #406 of 1,424
I started to hear it around 23 in the dead silence of darkness as well but "started" should not be ignored. It's too low in the app and during music for my taste.

I can hear it lower if I turn up the volume but not practical given how loud the mid to highs will be at that point.

Anatomy is against you though Carlos - you can't "hear" anything below 20 Hz anyway (you can only feel the air vibration).  And the only real instrument that really lives that low in the sub-bass is a pipe organ. Unless you're a pie organ aficianado, you're simply not hearing anything that low.

So saying the Altones can't go that low is a bit of a misnomer.  They produce audible sound at 23 Hz (without turning the volume up).

Now if you're suggesting the GR07 BE are louder at sub 100 Hz - I don't have an issue with that.  it comes down to preference.  But all this talk about the Altones not being able to properly represent sub-bass is actually 'bunk'  You even said that you could hear it at 23 Hz (I can too) - so it has no issues actually representing sub-bass.  It's just the quantity we can debate.  And like I said, that is personal preference 
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #407 of 1,424
For contrast, the Tenore I was sent went all the way down to 10 with good presence at normal listening volume.

P.S. I currently do not recommend buying the Tenore cuz of reported QC issues.

P.S.S. Sorry @waynes world mate. :neutral_face:

Sorry mate - you cannot "hear" 10 Hz.  None of us can.  And it doesn't matter what the listening volume is.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #408 of 1,424
Well actually I was wrong - the lowest known measured (laboratory conditions) test was apparently 12 Hz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

Bit it doesn't much alter my two earlier statements:
  1. Us normal folks can't generally go below 20 Hz
  2. There's no music that lives that low (apart from a pipe organ, or tones made by generators) - so it's not going to affect your listening enjoyment anyway.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #409 of 1,424
Ok then, hear/feel, something is hitting me at 10Hz on the Tenore. Maybe I worded my post wrong but I was saying the sub bass as a whole is too low in the app or music. 10Hz was used to showcase what the driver is capable of comparatively speaking at normal listening volumes. Organ pipe? Electronic... Do you know it?

How about now?

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #410 of 1,424
Well actually I was wrong - the lowest known measured (laboratory conditions) test was apparently 12 Hz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_range

Bit it doesn't much alter my two earlier statements:
  • Us normal folks can't generally go below 20 Hz
  • There's no music that lives that low (apart from a pipe organ, or tones made by generators) - so it's not going to affect your listening enjoyment anyway.

I beg to differ hombre.

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #412 of 1,424
What you're talking about is called placebo old son.  It's OK - the brain is a powerful instrument, and it's amazing what we think we can hear - until proven we actually can't.

I just gave you links to a scientific study that show that the lowest sound that was heard in laboratory conditions by a human was 12 Hz.  Most studies show that normal hearing is in the range of 20 Hz - 20 kHz (I can only get to around 15-16 KHz at the top end).

Now given the above - what instrument is going to give you audible queues that you'll be able to pick up on your GR07 BE at 10 Hz - or even at 20 Hz. Like I said - unless you listen to a pipe organ - you're not going to appreciate it.

Now I think we've taken this quite off topic enough 
wink.gif

Back to the Altone200 - a normal IEM, which apparently will represent sub-bass at normal human hearing, a smidge above 20 Hz 
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #413 of 1,424
Picks up Altone, opens the app, all the way down to 10Hz, turns on generator, start climbing volume without counting and while closing my eyes, stops when I feel/hear oscillating sound/thing, count steps up from zero.

Picks up GR07 BE and repeats.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #414 of 1,424
Lol - congrats - you're a super human :rolleyes:

How's the music down that low?

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #415 of 1,424
Audibility of sub-bass is not the issue when you have speakers touching your ears, it's about the vibrations of the sub-bass. Mastered audio, software and hardware often cut off below 20hz whether due to technical limitations or because they feel like it, and it's probably better that way, it's not healthy for the drivers.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #416 of 1,424
Ugh, if I open the Equalizer app, it only goes down to 20Hz and upping this dosent cause much change. Around 40Hz is more discernible. Again, I'm trying to tell you the sub bass is overall too low for my taste but used 10hz to paint a picture of how this iem is tuned comparatively speaking.

**10Hz is audible in the app at normal listening volume compared to the Altone. During music play the sub-bass as a whole is too low for my taste.**

Maybe I didn't word it right but there you have it.

You also first said only a pipe organ reaches down to the depths of hearing when electronic bass also plays down there.

Look mate, first you posted it's not possible for me to hear below 20Hz with such assurance and then corrected yourself. This implies to me one important thing: You are sure of things you shouldn't be.

Now you are stating placebo and posting smileys. I personaly don't know.. It might be placebo or a combination of many things. Either way, the low end on the Altone is not enough in quantity for me.

Anatomy is against you though Carlos - you can't "hear" anything below 20 Hz anyway (you can only feel the air vibration). And the only real instrument that really lives that low in the sub-bass is a pipe organ. Unless you're a pie organ aficianado, you're simply not hearing anything that low.

So saying the Altones can't go that low is a bit of a misnomer. They produce audible sound at 23 Hz (without turning the volume up).

But all this talk about the Altones not being able to properly represent sub-bass is actually 'bunk' You even said that you could hear it at 23 Hz (I can too) - so it has no issues actually representing sub-bass. It's just the quantity we can debate. And like I said, that is personal preference :wink:

Bunk? Maybe but I'd like to hear more given what has been reported. I'm fine if it turns out to just preference and that's what I was leaning towards from the start but can't say for sure.

I can "start" to hear it, as in it's there but too low...

Here's my smiley;
:kissing_heart:

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #419 of 1,424
How he describes it is what I was expecting to hear.

Yep, that's very much how mine sound (and I gather Brooko, ClieOS, d marc0) including the slightly hot lower treble and mid-range clarity. Joker pretty much nailed it.

He's got it right down to a tea in saying they're more enjoyable at lower to moderate volume.  Hang in there guys, these two pairs coming owned by one member are meant to sound rather different. One being on par with Jokers impressions of the bass and the other with Unity and some of the other underwhelmed members (which is alarming)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back