T+A Solitaire P planar magnetostatic
Dec 21, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #3,106 of 3,205
Hi all,

I cannot find a specific P-SE discussion thread but I was wondering what type of sound signature they have? I am a big fan of the LCD 4 and I also have the Hifiman HE1000SE so I was wondering how the P-SE would compare as I am interested in buying a pair.
I owned a P-SE before later getting a P. The SE has a more ethereal treble and detailed but not heavy bass. Basically not nearly as full bodied as an LCD-4 but very good staging, detail, imaging, and pretty harmonious overall FR.

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #3,107 of 3,205
I owned a P-SE before later getting a P. The SE has a more ethereal treble and detailed but not heavy bass. Basically not nearly as full bodied as an LCD-4 but very good staging, detail, imaging, and pretty harmonious overall FR.
Not sure if you heard the HEDD 2 but I'm stuck between these two headphones.

Not sure which headphone is the more technically proficient.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,108 of 3,205
Not sure if you heard the HEDD 2 but I'm stuck between these two headphones.

Not sure which headphone is the more technically proficient.
I have not unfortunately.

Dec 24, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #3,109 of 3,205
Just got my solitaire P for about 5 days.
I have to say its really the best headphone on classical music compared with what Ive owned before and heard before.
It really gives the whole hall sound and holographic to the listener.

Still playing around with the low and high gain, to me its better to use low gain when playing pop, and high gain for classical, may its not burned in yet.

I ordered the ATL hd800 plug and arrived today, will change the vertere hb double run headphone cable to hd800 plug for upgrading the SQ

The sol P with original pad sounds a bit too much on mid low range, and its a bit blur. I think upgrading to ultra wide pad and changing the headphone cable will help a lot on this aspect.

For now, I will wait and enjoy the headphone with loads of classical music.

I think this headphone is better to listen to classical music than 1266 and sus in my taste.
1266 gives very great analytic sound, each instrument is well positioned but not as a group but individual, it does not sound very natural when it comes to classical. Sol P however gives you a very wide image but still with clear details of the instruments, the reverb of hall and how the sound comes to your ears are instead very natural and just like how you sit in the hall and hear the instrument.

The imaging on presenting a piano and orchestra also very detailed with a suitable image that you can imagine how the piano positioned. I think Sol P really has a great performance on classical.

For pop music, I dont think its a great performer for now. Maybe I need to upgrade the cable and ultrawide pad to see.

The sr1b performs great with pop and pop vocal.

I think my impression is quite accurate as I just have my friends' headphone in my house for comparison few weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_9368.jpeg
    IMG_9368.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9220.jpeg
    IMG_9220.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #3,110 of 3,205
Questions to owners of SolP and LCD5...how they compare
- clarity
- resolution, separation and details (some say SolP is blurry on mids)
- dynamics (micro and macro)
- punch/slam
I don't care about design, materials...just sound...

I've rad the whole thread but it's funny because SolP has so many different descriptions of how it sounds ))) May be suggestion of head size/measurements is the real reason...

Dec 24, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #3,111 of 3,205
Questions to owners of SolP and LCD5...how they compare
- clarity
- resolution, separation and details (some say SolP is blurry on mids)
- dynamics (micro and macro)
- punch/slam
I don't care about design, materials...just sound...

I've rad the whole thread but it's funny because SolP has so many different descriptions of how it sounds ))) May be suggestion of head size/measurements is the real reason...
I guess question of taste.
For me LCD5 got ear piercing sharp unbearable upper mids before I could hear the lower registers to satisfactory levels. Nogo in 30 seconds listening.
Sometimes I feel I am special about it, sometimes some members gives feedback hearing the same, but I still feel to be in minority.

For Solitaire P the clarity, resolution, separation and details are the best among the headphones where I like the tonality. I did not feel any midrange muddyness. Ideal for jazz and classical music. For pop, rock, I liked adding a bit of extra bass with the HA 200 internal EQ (that was analog, if I am not mistaken)

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #3,112 of 3,205
I guess question of taste.
For me LCD5 got ear piercing sharp unbearable upper mids before I could hear the lower registers to satisfactory levels. Nogo in 30 seconds listening.
Sometimes I feel I am special about it, sometimes some members gives feedback hearing the same, but I still feel to be in minority.

For Solitaire P the clarity, resolution, separation and details are the best among the headphones where I like the tonality. I did not feel any midrange muddyness. Ideal for jazz and classical music. For pop, rock, I liked adding a bit of extra bass with the HA 200 internal EQ (that was analog, if I am not mistaken)
I had lcd5 and sold it with Susvara because new DCA Expanse were much body full body and weighted sound. But I changed the whole system since that moment. My primary HP is Snorry Trion. Looking for addition pair or upgrade to SolP as the one and only if they are really good. I like heavy metal genre so if SolP is not bright it could be fine but my main concern is dynamic and attack. I don't want laid back HP for metal)) Expanse is somewhat smooth and not aggressive for my taste. LCD5 is very aggressive with outstanding drums and highs but recessed low mids is not very fine for me, even if they very hot on high mids. 1266 TC also is not my cup of tea because of very pronounced highs and recessed mids...

Dec 26, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #3,114 of 3,205
I have to report back that after 100-150hrs burn in of sol p, the blur mid has gone away, with the upgrade of vertere hb cable double run, I got a very nice slightly warm mid with clear details on mid and without muddiness.
I think sol P really is a great great headphone for classical, the holographic of the music hall, and extremely detailed instruments but still in a very natural presentation unlike 1266, that makes me very impress and love it so much, I havent heard any headphone with the deep soundstage but still very precise yet very natural.

The 1266 gives you precise individual instrument's reverb which is very analytic, but sol p gives you a full picture of reverb instead of individual microscope wise sound. I think 1266 has its own strong genre of music, however, Sol P has the best one.

For how it compares with sr1b, I strongly recommend sr1b for listening human voice, vocal, and live unplug recordings, sr1b has very beautiful high, at first I thought I love the way it present classical, however, getting to know sol p, its another world. the reproduction of the whole hall sound is extremely expressive. While the sr1b has a very nice airy sound of the recording, it is still another way of presentation.

Sol p to me, listening vocal, the singer is too close to my head which I really dont like. Sr1b has great distance between singer and you, just the speaker like presentation

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #3,115 of 3,205
Anyone uses the Sol P with speaker amps? I can connect headphones only to the RME or to my monoblocks (I currently drive the sus with monoblocks). Any reports of damaging the Sol P with powerful speaker amps? Any comparisons of the sus to the Sol P for classical music only on speaker amps? Will adding the Sol P to my sus solve all my problems in life and bring me happiness and bliss?

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #3,116 of 3,205
Anyone uses the Sol P with speaker amps? I can connect headphones only to the RME or to my monoblocks (I currently drive the sus with monoblocks). Any reports of damaging the Sol P with powerful speaker amps? Any comparisons of the sus to the Sol P for classical music only on speaker amps? Will adding the Sol P to my sus solve all my problems in life and bring me happiness and bliss?
I used my SolP when I had them with my Boulder 866 at the time extensively. Just be very careful to begin with to figure out what volume range you need to be in. They absolutely don't necessarily *need* a powerful amp, but do scale well with quality amplification. In terms of adding them to the Susvara, it depends what your problems are with the Susvara. The Susvara is the better headphone (imo) in terms of overall detail and technical ability but the SolP aren't far behind at all, and have their own set of strengths. I'll link my full review below, if you are curious about further thoughts.

https://headphonesnstuff.blog/2022/05/05/ta-solitaire-p-full-review/

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #3,117 of 3,205
I used my SolP when I had them with my Boulder 866 at the time extensively. Just be very careful to begin with to figure out what volume range you need to be in. They absolutely don't necessarily *need* a powerful amp, but do scale well with quality amplification. In terms of adding them to the Susvara, it depends what your problems are with the Susvara. The Susvara is the better headphone (imo) in terms of overall detail and technical ability but the SolP aren't far behind at all, and have their own set of strengths. I'll link my full review below, if you are curious about further thoughts.

https://headphonesnstuff.blog/2022/05/05/ta-solitaire-p-full-review/
Thank you, a worthwhile read. My problem with the sus is impossible to resolve - that they are not as good as my high end tower speakers. Specifically, in Rachmaninov piano concertos, or other muscular piano works, the sus don't display the power of the piano like the speakers. The speakers, when positioned right, give me a more realistic and engaging soundstage (also deeper, wider and more detailed soundstage). And of course only the speakers give me bass that shakes the walls, like in Verdi's requiem Dies Irae (the big drum). Voices are fine on either. Part of the problem is that I listen to speakers much louder.

Dec 27, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #3,118 of 3,205
Thank you, a worthwhile read. My problem with the sus is impossible to resolve - that they are not as good as my high end tower speakers. Specifically, in Rachmaninov piano concertos, or other muscular piano works, the sus don't display the power of the piano like the speakers. The speakers, when positioned right, give me a more realistic and engaging soundstage (also deeper, wider and more detailed soundstage). And of course only the speakers give me bass that shakes the walls, like in Verdi's requiem Dies Irae (the big drum). Voices are fine on either. Part of the problem is that I listen to speakers much louder.
Sorry to say that but... no headphones will ever give You the same experience as speakers. I have Sol P for 3 days. Previously I had them for 2 weeks loan and as far as I love the sound and Soundstage and separation which is near perfection I would not compare it to soundstage of good pair of Loudspeakers. As far as I consider Sol P best headphones in this regard, I mean to imitate speakers, still headphones will be headphones.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #3,120 of 3,205
Any significant changes during burn in of SolP? They sounds great right of the box
After 10 days of listening for 3-4 hours per day the bass got tighter and is more present. For 2 first days it was too light compared to demo unit I had earlier. Now it hits really nice and hard like in a demo unit which I loved from first sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back