System building suggestions?
Feb 7, 2008 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

illkemist

100+ Head-Fier
Hi folks. I have a unique situation. I will be moving to Japan later this year with a short stop in Taiwan. Currently, I'm using a HR Ultra Micro DAC -> Graham Slee Solo -> HD650. I'm also in the process of trying to find a portable amp to replace my iBasso D1 which I'm selling.

I'm taking the DAC and one of two amps, the Solo or a GS-1 (on order) with me. I can use the GS-1 as a preamp, limiting my purchases overseas to a power amp and pair of speakers. This is not the case with the Solo. It seems like I would need to purchase some type of preamp to integrate this amp. Keeping that in mind, I have a couple of questions:

1. For anyone with a complete system, did you build around your headphones and headphone amp, or a pair of speakers?

2. For the GS-1 setup (source -> DAC -> GS-1 [preamp and headamp] -> stereo amp -> speakers), the setup is fairly simple. What would be the best way to integrate the Solo?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 12
For a speaker based system, depending on budget and what the room to hold it permits, I'd always advice to get the speakers first, then looking for the amps and sources best matching them.

Regarding the second question, the way to integrate your Solo into the GS-1 based rig, it will depend on the outputs of your DAC. If you have two outputs, then it's very easy. If it has only one, then I'd plug it into the GS-1 or Solo depending on which of them has a direct output (like a "rec out"), and routing from that output to the next device. If none has a direct output like the X-Cans, then you'd need some divider, but its use could have unwanted sonic effects. You could always try the divider at the DAC's output or one of the headamps input to see where it has less negative impact.

Rgrds.

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply. I think I may end up auditioning amps and speakers at the same time when I get to Japan. As for the two headphone amps, I'm only planning to take only one with me. If it turns out that I prefer the Solo to the GS-1, then I may consider buying an integrated amp or preamp/amp backbone for my system. That's what I've been thinking at least. FYI, the DAC has only one output.

Feb 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 12
Yep, auditioning speakers is a very smart first step, but also don't forget to look at the room where they'll be placed. It's said that they have quite small rooms in Japan, so probably small bookshelf speakers on dedicated stands would produce less trouble, specially in the bass response.

If you end up taking the Solo with you and buying an integrated in Japan, it probably will have a tape-out where you can plug your Solo.

Good luck and have a nice trip,

Rgrds.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 12
The general rule of thumb is to build around your speakers first. Although you can bend the rules, as rules are meant for breaking, right? I took the amp-first route, and I'm happy I did so. My 1st system was based around Plinius 8150, as I just loved its sound paired w/ just about any speaker I'd heard at my dealer's. But I heard it paired w/ Harbeth Super HL5, and the music I heard out of the combo was pretty amazing. A big bonus is that the Harbeths aren't too fussy or demanding about the amps... can be driven by a 150 w per 8 ohms Plinius just as well with an adequate SET, so always be mindful of the range of your speakers in terms of what loads they will tolerate.

I think when you go to Japan, you owe it to yourself to listen to Leben integrated amplifiers. Mine is CS600, which is the more powerful one, but if your listening habits are not too demanding, CS300 will do beautifully. In the States, the Leben CS600 retails for $5200. I auditioned it first at In Living Stereo in NYC, and just fell in love with its sound, but walked away bummed out b/c I couldn't afford it. Then! I found out that in Japan it can be found for $2500 or under! So that's how I ended up with my Leben. What made it more special is that the Leben as a headphone amp is KILLER, so you get to have a to-die-for amp, both for your headphone system & the speaker system. (Which is the reason why I'm selling my Heed CanAmp... no need for a dedicated headphone amp anymore!) And it sounds amazing on the Harbeths, as 6moons recently raved.

When you go to Japan, look for a Leben. I know you can buy the CS300 for around $1100, which is like the cost of a Benchmark DAC1. (In the States, it retails for $2500) Getting one of the best tube amps out there that can center both your speaker system & the headphone system for that price is ker-razy. If I were you, I'd come back to this country with one.
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Unless you were speaking of a 50 wpc SET, I'd never be driving a pair of Harbeths with an average SET amp of the usual 6-10 wpc
biggrin.gif
Those speakers love good clean power hehehe.

The Leben is a nice integrated, way cheaper in Japan than in the ROW, but being there he has so many things to look at... Take your time Illkemist.

Rgrds.

Feb 7, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 12
Yeah, you can't go too flea-powered w/ SETs, but as for tube amps in general, my Leben is only rated at 32 watts in 6L6GC, or 28 watts running with EL34. But the Harbeths absolutely love the Leben!

If I were to go to Japan, I'd check out their vintage audio shops. Best in the world... so jealous.

Feb 7, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 12
:-D IMHO any good speaker loves tubes, and the Harbeths are really good, they have many strenghts. 30wpc of good tubes power can work wonders with many good speakers, that's true. I bet you're having a helluva of fun with your Harbeths and the Leben. Enjoy them mate!

Rgrds.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, auditioning speakers is a very smart first step, but also don't forget to look at the room where they'll be placed. It's said that they have quite small rooms in Japan, so probably small bookshelf speakers on dedicated stands would produce less trouble, specially in the bass response.

If you end up taking the Solo with you and buying an integrated in Japan, it probably will have a tape-out where you can plug your Solo.

Presumably, with an integrated setup, I'll be feeding the DAC into the amp and outputting from the Tape-Out. Will this kind of setup have any effect on the coloration of the music?

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you go to Japan, look for a Leben. I know you can buy the CS300 for around $1100, which is like the cost of a Benchmark DAC1. (In the States, it retails for $2500) Getting one of the best tube amps out there that can center both your speaker system & the headphone system for that price is ker-razy. If I were you, I'd come back to this country with one.
biggrin.gif

I gotta say, that amp looks pretty sweet. At the very least, I'll be sure to listen to one while I'm there. Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

Feb 8, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Presumably, with an integrated setup, I'll be feeding the DAC into the amp and outputting from the Tape-Out. Will this kind of setup have any effect on the coloration of the music?

No. Provided you're using wires that don't add any coloration on their own. Some would say that you could lose some detail or transparency due to using two extra connections, but I find that quite negligible. That's the way I'd do it.

Rgrds.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. Provided you're using wires that don't add any coloration on their own. Some would say that you could lose some detail or transparency due to using two extra connections, but I find that quite negligible. That's the way I'd do it.

Rgrds.

Yeah, I don't know if my hearing is acute enough to notice minute differences. I suppose as long as there is no processing of the signal until output, everything should be okay, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back