Synergy between Portable Amps and IEMs - 9 IEM compared with 9 portable amps = 81 chances to mess up!
Sep 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #76 of 83
Would love to see Fiio E5 get thrown in the mix as well.

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #77 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjmai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would love to see Fiio E5 get thrown in the mix as well.

I still haven't gotten around to doing this with the E5. It's very time consuming and the E5 is so cheap that any person could simply buy it to try themselves, instead of me spending hours reviewing it with 10 different IEM.

Nov 24, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #78 of 83
really good review, there isnt enough synergy, i especially appreciated it, being a predator owner,, i know these were for iem, but i found that my predator couldnt fully amp the low end of my denon 7000, do u think the mustang would fair better?
----also i am surprised that the predator was the only amp that you found mad the ue5 pro sound half way desccent,, ive never heard the pro but i own and love the ue5eb(best bass iem hands down) have not tried the wm2 or the jh13 but those are custom,
anyway i dont see how they could be that bad,, i have the triplefi and love them but am giving ie a second chance because before i had fit issue, westone 3 high pitch really hurt my ears not to mention distorted at high volume,, i really wish there were more miced iem options for these tier one phones, x10 mic? i am skeptical i will like the ie8 even with better fit as i have heard them already we shall seee but i will directly compare them to all my iems, but dang those x10 look cool maybe ill have to get the w3 back and compare them side by side accordingly eergh..
thanks for the info it helps us all out quite a bit

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #79 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sorry, but I just wasn't very interested in buying a Mini3 (or is it Mini^3 ?)

A large part of my review of the Westone ES3X vs Ultimate Ears UE11Pro vs Jerry Harvey JH13Pro was about amp synergy with the three different custom IEM. That review is too long to add to this review: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...1/#post5933754

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best portable amp for the UE11Pro is now the iBasso D10 with TLE2141 class-A boased opamps with EL8201 as buffers. This is better with the UE11Pro than any of the portable amps in my profile, including my previous #1 the 3MOVE.

The Woo WA6 and Single Power Square Wave XL are the best desktop amps for the UE11Pro, Westone ES3X and JH Audio JH13Pro (as stated in the review linked above). This beats any portable amp with them.

The best amp (portable or desktop) for the Senn IE8 is the ALO Amphora. That is followed closely by the iBasso D10 with AD8599 opamp and AD8616 buffers, but that opamp combo is only good with the IE8/HD600 and too thin bright with other IEM. The TLE2141-CA/EL8201 in the D10 would be my next choice with the benefit that it sounds great with all my custom IEM too.

Another one to add for the UE11Pro which is so picky about the amp you use (see the review link first) - The new Nuforce uDAC has better synergy with UE 11Pro than the other small portable DAC/amps, including the D10 and D4 or 3MOVE. It's about as balanced as the EF2 tube hybrid with NOS tubes, but with a lot more detail and resolution. And it runs off USB only, so you could use it portable with laptop or netbook, while the EF2 must have wall power. I would rank the uDAC above the EF2 and below the WA6 or Square Wave XL desktop amps when using the UE11Pro.

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #80 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by techenvy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really good review, there isnt enough synergy, i especially appreciated it, being a predator owner,, i know these were for iem, but i found that my predator couldnt fully amp the low end of my denon 7000, do u think the mustang would fair better?
----also i am surprised that the predator was the only amp that you found mad the ue5 pro sound half way desccent,, ive never heard the pro but i own and love the ue5eb(best bass iem hands down) have not tried the wm2 or the jh13 but those are custom,
anyway i dont see how they could be that bad,, i have the triplefi and love them but am giving ie a second chance because before i had fit issue, westone 3 high pitch really hurt my ears not to mention distorted at high volume,, i really wish there were more miced iem options for these tier one phones, x10 mic? i am skeptical i will like the ie8 even with better fit as i have heard them already we shall seee but i will directly compare them to all my iems, but dang those x10 look cool maybe ill have to get the w3 back and compare them side by side accordingly eergh..
thanks for the info it helps us all out quite a bit

The Mustang is only slightly more powerful than the Predator with Denon or HD600. You would maybe be happier with the 3MOVE and D7000 as I think there is better synergy there, and mine has good enough low volume channel balance to use with many IEM. The Pico was in between those with Denon, and would be another nice choice for the Denon and IEM.

I think the issue with the Super.fi 5 Pro was that they just weren't balanced or refined sounding, and it wasn't fair to ask an amp to fix that. I do think you might like the X10 based on what you have said.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #81 of 83
Just started using Sleek CT6 with Headamp Pico. Sounds good here! Thanks for all the info.

-Rick

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by RKlages /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just started using Sleek CT6 with Headamp Pico. Sounds good here! Thanks for all the info.

-Rick

Glad to help!

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #83 of 83
Just curious, (sorry to rez a super old thread) has anyone had any experience with the Predator and W4r combo?  I am %95 sure that's what I'm picking up this week. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back