Synergy between HD600 and Bottlehead Crack?
Aug 26, 2011 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
I have almost narrowed down the choices for my system. I need to know if the HD600 would sound veiled when being amped by a Bottlehead Crack. Lastly, are tube amps or solid state better for HD600?

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 18
I don't want to refer as to which one is better but it would be bases more on you preferences. I listen to miles with a tube amp but for Metallica...I still prefer solid state. And yes...you will be smiling with hd6xx coupled with a tube amp especially with the bottle head.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 18
I am still wavering between the DT880 and the HD600. I just don't think that I would like the laid-back sound as good as a trebly sound.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I have almost narrowed down the choices for my system. I need to know if the HD600 would sound veiled when being amped by a Bottlehead Crack. Lastly, are tube amps or solid state better for HD600?

The Crack was amazing with HD650s, absolutely wonderful. I'd imagine that it would be similar with the HD600s, or any other high-impedance headphones. It did NOT play nice at all with low impedance cans, however.

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
The Crack was amazing with HD650s, absolutely wonderful. I'd imagine that it would be similar with the HD600s, or any other high-impedance headphones. It did NOT play nice at all with low impedance cans, however.

Would you happen to know how much of a difference that the Speedball upgrade makes? Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to afford it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
Would you happen to know how much of a difference that the Speedball upgrade makes? Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to afford it.

I don't remember if what I heard had the Speedball. IIRC, you can do the upgrade pretty easily later, so you don't need to do it right away.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
I don't remember if what I heard had the Speedball. IIRC, you can do the upgrade pretty easily later, so you don't need to do it right away.

Do you like the DT880 as good as the HD650?

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
Do you like the DT880 as good as the HD650?

I've never owned a DT880, just heard one briefly at a meet and I can't really remember what I thought of it for I was so n00bish at the time (long ago, this was). 

I do have the DT770, and I do prefer the HD650 by a pretty fair margin.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
I've never owned a DT880, just heard one briefly at a meet and I can't really remember what I thought of it for I was so n00bish at the time (long ago, this was). 

I do have the DT770, and I do prefer the HD650 by a pretty fair margin.

Is the HD650 muffled in the treble area? What does laid-back mean?

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Is the HD650 muffled in the treble area? What does laid-back mean?

I've never found it to be muffled, but I've never attempted to listen to it not on my rig, so I can't speak about it when it's improperly amped.

As far as laid-back, it's not an 'in-your-face' headphone like a Grado or Ultrasone. Passive listening doesn't really do it justice, I think. I've always been one who enjoys listening actively (laying down/sitting, in the dark, doing nothing else, exploring the soundscape, searching for details), and the HD650 is extremely rewarding if you like to do that. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
I've never found it to be muffled, but I've never attempted to listen to it not on my rig, so I can't speak about it when it's improperly amped.

As far as laid-back, it's not an 'in-your-face' headphone like a Grado or Ultrasone. Passive listening doesn't really do it justice, I think. I've always been one who enjoys listening actively (laying down/sitting, in the dark, doing nothing else, exploring the soundscape, searching for details), and the HD650 is extremely rewarding if you like to do that. 

Does "in-your-face" have to do with the soundstage, or the brightness of the treble? I still can't decide if I want a HD600, HD650, or a DT880. I always stop everything when I am listening too, I guess that is active listening. I want the instruments to sound alive, and laid-back doesn't sound like a very lively headphone. I may be completely wrong. What bright headphones have you listened to?

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 18
I had a K701 for a while, sold it last October. DT770 is fairly bright. I've never tried an HD600, but I want to.

I'd say that 'in your face' is a combination of a lot of things, between attack, close soundstage, particular emphasis on any part of the freq. spectrum (not just treble). I've always thought that hot treble is sort of a way to convey illusory detail, making something sound detailed when it might not be, by emphasizing delicate parts in the music and overtones.

I really love my HD650s, I've had them since the beginning of my head-fi journey, and they've outlasted every other headphone that I've had other than my Pro4AATs. However, I think that any of those three that you're considering are an upgrade from your current rig. Don't discount the value of amplification and a proper source when you make that step up, though.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
I had a K701 for a while, sold it last October. DT770 is fairly bright. I've never tried an HD600, but I want to.

I'd say that 'in your face' is a combination of a lot of things, between attack, close soundstage, particular emphasis on any part of the freq. spectrum (not just treble). I've always thought that hot treble is sort of a way to convey illusory detail, making something sound detailed when it might not be, by emphasizing delicate parts in the music and overtones.

I really love my HD650s, I've had them since the beginning of my head-fi journey, and they've outlasted every other headphone that I've had other than my Pro4AATs. However, I think that any of those three that you're considering are an upgrade from your current rig. Don't discount the value of amplification and a proper source when you make that step up, though.

How inportant do you think the DAC would be? My Pioneer P-D70 doesn't have a digital out. I will be using the built-in DAC.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
How inportant do you think the DAC would be? My Pioneer P-D70 doesn't have a digital out. I will be using the built-in DAC.

I'm sure that the built-in DAC is fine, it's a much bigger deal if you're dealing with onboard audio with computers. Obviously a nice source is always a good upgrade to make, but you'll be fine. I used the stock DAC on my CDP for about a year when I had my HD650s, was plenty happy with it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:

I'm sure that the built-in DAC is fine, it's a much bigger deal if you're dealing with onboard audio with computers. Obviously a nice source is always a good upgrade to make, but you'll be fine. I used the stock DAC on my CDP for about a year when I had my HD650s, was plenty happy with it.

I also have a question about my turntable. It is a vintage Pioneer and it has a ground cable. I am not sure if it necessary for the turntable to work. There is a place for the groud cable on my reciever, but there won't be on my Bottlehead Crack. Does the ground cable have to be plugged in to anything for my turntable to function? I am not going to use the reciever with my new headphones, I will be using them with the Crack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back