Synergy between first-party amps & headphones
Jun 9, 2014 at 3:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

thievesarmy

100+ Head-Fier
When it comes to computers, I have a theory that there will always be advantages between first party hardware & software. So for example, using an Apple computer, I prefer to use Safari as my browser as I feel Apple, having built both the computer and the OS, will know best how to optimize their browser to take full advantage of all available resources. Now, in reality this may not ALWAYS be the case, and a third-party company could create a better browser that runs on Mac OS, but this is my general philosophy.

Now, recently I am wondering if the theory applies to headphones as well. Companies like Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, and HiFiMAN all make amps, in some cases they're specifically tailored to certain headphones (or so they claim). I'd love to know if people have found that these first-party amps generally produce the best results when paired with the same companies' headphones. For example:

Sennheiser HD 600 / 650 / 800 + Sennheiser HDVA 600 / HDVD 800 amps
Beyer T1 / T5p / DT 880 or 990 + Beyer A 2 / A 20 / H1 amps
HiFiMAN HE-6 / HE-500 + HiFiMAN EF-5 / EF-6 / EF-2A

Has anyone found this to be the case?

Both the Senn & Beyer amps look incredible, but are quite pricey. I haven't spent a ton of money on amps yet, but as I eventually work my way up to an HD 800 or a T1, I know I'll need something bigger & better than what I have now.

Would love to hear any insights & experiences that either support or dispute this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back