switching mmcx cable often or using an adapter
Jul 18, 2021 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Pietrone

Head-Fier
Hi!

I have a pair of tinhifi P1 as only IEM at the moment and dont have the budget to buy anything else (and not really want to because i love those earphones). Being those earphones i'd like to use them around and those earphones have to source issue. So, i have an sr15 astell and kern for which i will get the balanced 2,5mm cable and for the laptop i have a cyrrus soundkey, which sounds good but has only the 3,5 mm output.

My choice can be either switching everytime the cable, or using a 2,5 mm to 3,5 mm adapter.

Hence my two questions are:

• a) can switching that often MMCX cable damage the connector?
  • b) can the 2,5 to 3,5 mm adaptor damage the cyrrus soundkey? If yes, why? Can it also damage the audient id4 audio interface?

n.b. : The laptop + cyrrus soundkey +p1 sounds better than the sr15+ unbalanced p1, but i do not know if the balanced cable can change this. So maybe in that case i can just use only the sr15. But to be honest, even if i never experienced what changes between balanced and unbalanced the distance between the two option above seems to much to be cleared by a cable. I will see in a couple of days, meanwhile i'd like to learn about adapters and MMCX connectors.
Thanks in advance to everyone who'll reply! Cheers and enjoy your music :darthsmile:

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Mmcx will wear out faster than the adapter.

I would recommend using a 2.5mm trrs (balanced) to 3.5mm trs (unbalanced) adapter if constantly switching.
So in your opinion the adpater is safe to use with the soundkey? I read below several dac's faq to not use adapters.

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 10
So in your opinion the adpater is safe to use with the soundkey? I read below several dac's faq to not use adapters.
It's only unsafe if using an unbalanced cable (3.5mm trs) to a balanced dac/amp/source (2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm trrs). As this will short out the balanced output.

Going from balanced cable (2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm trrs) to unbalanced dac/amp/source (3.5mm trs) is safe.

I'd probably get something like the ddHifi DJ35AG.
15545603.jpg

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 10
It's only unsafe if using an unbalanced cable (3.5mm trs) to a balanced dac/amp/source (2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm trrs). As this will short out the balanced output.

Going from balanced cable (2.5mm, 3.5mm or 4.4mm trrs) to unbalanced dac/amp/source (3.5mm trs) is safe.

I'd probably get something like the ddHifi DJ35AG.
15545603.jpg
Appreciate, thanks for the explanation.

A normal adpater from local electronic shops can bring in downsides?

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 10
Most mainstream electronic stores probably won't have something like this.

Unless you have a really good audio store nearby (I sure don't).
I mean, if they just have an Adapter whats the differenze between "something like That"?
Pardon if those are dumb questions, i just dont know but want to.

Jul 18, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 10
I mean, if they just have an Adapter whats the differenze between "something like That"?
Pardon if those are dumb questions, i just dont know but want to.
I mean they most likely won't have a 2.5mm trrs to 3.5mm trs adapter, unless its a specialty electronics store that at least somewhat caters to audio enthusiasts.

Of course, I don't know where you're located or what stores you have access to. Just saying ymmv.

Jul 19, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 10
I mean they most likely won't have a 2.5mm trrs to 3.5mm trs adapter, unless its a specialty electronics store that at least somewhat caters to audio enthusiasts.

Of course, I don't know where you're located or what stores you have access to. Just saying ymmv.
https://www.ama zon.it/Extension-Balance-iBasso-Astell-Iriver/dp/B07ML1CF3H/ref=sr_1_6?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=balanced+2%2C5+mm+to+3%2C5+mm&qid=1626691238&sr=8-6 do you think this one may work? It is the most similar one that can be shipped here in italy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back