Switched to Windows 8.1 - Sound is absolutely terrible
Apr 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrip541

100+ Head-Fier
I just switched from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Just to make sure the sound worked I opened up iTunes and started a random song. It sounds TERRIBLE using usb-->Audinst HUD-mx1-->headphone out. I mean really really bad. Bloated tubby bass, some kind of echo, shimmering distortion like I'm listening to a really old mp3.

If I open playback devices it shows the mx-1 as a SPDIF Inteface and the Enhancements tab from Windows 7 is gone. I can't find any way to alter the sound. I'm so confused.. How is the USB out sound so incredibly bad?!?

I can't live like this and will eat the cost of Windows 8 if there's no way to fix this. Any ideas?

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Try installing FooBar2000 (it's free), see if it improves audio quality.

Are all the windows 8.1 audio setting set for 2-Channel (stereo) audio?

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 6
I’m afraid this has nothing to do with Win8
Audio has priority zero at MS. Vista/ Win7/ Win8, the audio stack is by and large the same.
It cannot be that a USB DAC shows up as a SPDIF output.
Some DSP going on in iTunes?
Indeed try Foobar or MusicBee and check if you have the same problems

Apr 13, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the responses guys. Audio is definitely set to 2 channel, and using my own files in foobar does sound better than my gf's in itunes. I spent a while messing around and I think the real issue is that the mx1 doesn't play well with Windows 8. Audinst doesn't provide drivers, at all, for the mx1 anymore. I uninstalled every audio device and usb driver and reinstalled each one with drivers from the manufacturers web pages, which seemed to help. But I think what really did it was to just switch from my mx-1 to my v-90 dac, which brought back the enhancements tab where I could disable all audio enhancements. The issue with the v-90 is it doesn't have an optical out, which I've been using on the mx1. Are there any usb dac/headphone amps with digital outs that have full Windows 8 support?

Here's a shot of the mx1 showing up as a SPDIF device:

Or it could all just be in my head, but I don't think so. I really feel like low bass is still stronger in Win8...

Apr 14, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back