SW1X DACs and more
Feb 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #61 of 83
Due to covid, I've been away from my wife for the most part of last year, and so far, this year as well. I dread the day when she'd ask me "what's in that container"
Damn it man. Hopefully more vaccines start rolling out and you can be back home again soon. Music and gear has been a great escapism for us all, but there's no denying the tragic events of the last year.

Feb 6, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #62 of 83
Damn it man. Hopefully more vaccines start rolling out and you can be back home again soon. Music and gear has been a great escapism for us all, but there's no denying the tragic events of the last year.

Thanks man. Probably that post sounds very sad, but it’s actually a small humor between the missus and I where we tease about the stuffs we bought in between our time away. I am actually at home, and she’s away from home due to the nature of her work.

If everything is according to plan, the vaccine rollout for the general population here should begin soon. I hope everyone’s staying safe and in the meantime enjoy some music :beerchug::L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #63 of 83
Thanks man. Probably that post sounds very sad, but it’s actually a small humor between the missus and I where we tease about the stuffs we bought in between our time away. I am actually at home, and she’s away from home due to the nature of her work.

If everything is according to plan, the vaccine rollout for the general population here should begin soon. I hope everyone’s staying safe and in the meantime enjoy some music :beerchug::L3000:
At least you are at home with the music system and can enjoy listening to it whenever you want. Enjoy it while you can then haha.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #64 of 83
At least you are at home with the music system and can enjoy listening to it whenever you want. Enjoy it while you can then haha.

😂😂

Here’s my humble container box with some tubes, in preparation for the Blue Halo+ from Mischa:

3AAB1E27-E7C2-4BFA-91A6-98CE85509953.jpeg

Hopefully the missus won’t suspect anything lol

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #65 of 83
Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #66 of 83
I have ordered BlueHalo as well. But I have only few tubes because I don't know where to get them. Mischa advised not to buy tubes on ebay. On ebay they ask insane prices, like 1000 GBP for 4 tubes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6j5-g-tu...-quad-l63-6sn7-6c5-2a3-b65-valve/254799948487

Where did you get so many tubes? How do you know what tubes are best for the BlueHalo?
That is insane. Check out the 6J5 thread and in particular there is a consolidated list in the 1st post of many tubes.

You are in the UK, and I recommend Billington. Here is their current catalog. I recommend a few 6J5s, a few 6C5s and a few 6N7s. I like the "G" tubes but the GT and metal tubes are all good. These are all good pairs IMO.

1612724236241.png

1612724179006.png

Billington has some nice RCA 6N7Gs that I also like. That is plenty to get you going IMO.

Langrex is also in the UK and has these that I like in the Blue Halo.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #67 of 83
Almost all tubes I have got are from Langrex or Billington ( they couldn't find matched pairs of all tubes from that list ).

I have got L63 GEC , 6C5G Fivre / Cossor, 6J5GT Brimar and some metal tubes.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #68 of 83
Almost all tubes I have got are from Langrex or Billington ( they couldn't find matched pairs of all tubes from that list ).
I have got L63 GEC , 6C5G Fivre / Cossor, 6J5GT Brimar and some metal tubes.
You are good to go then - really - enjoy these. I have been rotating {Fivre, Cossor, Brimar} 6C5G + {GEC, Mullard} 6J5G in a happy loop. I have way more tubes, but your list is some of the best IMO already.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #69 of 83
I have ordered BlueHalo as well. But I have only few tubes because I don't know where to get them. Mischa advised not to buy tubes on ebay. On ebay they ask insane prices, like 1000 GBP for 4 tubes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6j5-g-tu...-quad-l63-6sn7-6c5-2a3-b65-valve/254799948487

Where did you get so many tubes? How do you know what tubes are best for the BlueHalo?

Stay away from wegehighguy, he is known to jack up tube prices. On the question on what tubes are best, it’s really down to the word of mouth. Like Chris has mentioned, in the 6J5 thread there’s a consolidated list that you can go through and see which tubes suit your needs. Also, if you are willing to experiment, you can buy any tubes (or family of the same tube) and just try them out, listen to them and make your own opinion. Some tubes might sound good to you, some probably don’t, even if other people say they are good.

You actually have some highly praised tubes there, so you are good to go. Beware of the rabbit hole though :wink:

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #70 of 83
I brought my DAC to SW1X this weekend for a few upgrades. I couldn't resist. I went home and needed a DAC, so I opened my parts cupboard, pulled out a Topping D50s. Wow. It sounds like I am listening through a piece of burnt dry toast. 12h and I really miss my DAC already.

What mods you may ask? (I know you didn't...):
  • Minor circuit changes to current production spec
  • DHD tube rectification
  • Capacitors upgrade in the I/U conversion
  • EI core transformers (2x) upgrade
  • Diodes upgrade on digital board and on analogue side
The SW1X workshop was very busy. It was the busiest I've ever seen with many DACs in the works and a few people soldering away even on a Sunday.

So - I thought I'd take the opportunity to again mention my happiness with the SW1X DACs :wink:

Apr 27, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #72 of 83
The eagle has landed.

Funny story first, the DAC two sets of outputs - silver and copper. As I was rushing, I inadvertently plugged both channels of my stereo into the same channel of the DAC LOL. As you can imagine, this sounded absolutely horrible and I was shocked. "How can it sound so, SO bad?" Fortunately I discovered my error quickly.

PXL_20210426_223926104-2.jpg

I think I had asked for a green LED, no big deal, I can change it.

I am not one for long-winded reviews these days, but here is what I will say about the DAC - it gives excellent fullness and body to the music, makes it more tangible, like you can reach out and touch it. The staging is both wider and deeper, and more detail can be grasped and lower listening levels.

In short, it sound great, really good in my system.

Right now I have it paired with this monster, a stereo amplifier prototype I am working on. This will ultimately be my daily driver two-channel amplifier, so I thought it best to try them out together.

PXL_20210426_224045965-2.jpg

It kicks ass, very happy with the combination. The DAC was worth the wait.
Congrats! May it bring you years of DAC happiness. I have been very sad to be without mine for a few weeks now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back