Surround Sound movie and gaming on headphones! CONFUSED!
Dec 5, 2010 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

soundnoob

New Head-Fier
First and foremost, I am a complete noob. Please forgive my ignorance.
Also, there is a tl;dr at the bottom, but reading the whole post would be great :D

I have scoured the forums, and come across so much information, a lot of it has been conflicting and at this point I am so confused that I felt just posting my questions would help me more.
The regulars here are probably sick of answering the same questions again and again but if they could, I would really appreciate it!

I am looking to get a surround sound thingy for my headphones (Sennheiser HD 555), which I will use for both movies and games equally on my PS3.

After research, I have come to the conclusion that the two solutions are:

Victor SU-DH1
Astro Mixamp

But I am not entirely sure about which one to get.

People have said if you want movies, go for the Victor because of DTS compatibility, which the Mixamp does not have and apparently most movies are encoded in DTS?
I have read varying reports on the Astro Mixamp with movies, some have trashed it for being absolutely horrendous while others have said it is pretty good for movies. I know sound experiences are subjective but varying from HORRIBLE --> Pretty Good is not very informative for a nubcake.

Also, is DTS just Dolby Digital, at a higher bitrate?
The Victor SU-DH1 seems more complicated, and difficult to acquire so I'm leaning towards the Mixamp a little bit more at this point.
However is the Astro Mixamp good for games AND movies? I know it works well in games, but what about movies?
Because I would like a solution that provides both good surround sound gaming and surround sound movie.

With regard to this whole DTS ordeal, from what I understand, since bluray audio is encoded in DTS-HD  (and I will watch mostly Bluray movies), I CANNOT use the Astro Mixamp to get the Surround Sound experience from a movie encoded with DTS, if I do use the Mixamp, I will get regular stereo. If I want a surround sound movie experience with the Astro Mixamp, I require a movie with audio encoded in Dolby Digital 5.1.

Assuming I get the Mixamp, my setup would have to look like this (please correct)

PS3 connected with...a Toslink cable(?), and that cable connects to the mixamp, and my headphones are plugged into the mixamp.
On the PS3, I would have to change the setting to Dolby Digital 5.1.

A lot of questions, and if any could be answered, I would appreciate it.

tl;dr
Victor SU-DH1 or Astro Mixamp. I want to use it with my PS3 for movies AND games equally.
I do not care about voice chat.

Thank you very much.

Dec 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 8
For what it's worth, I recently went over this as well.  I decided I'm going to buy the Astro Mixamp 5.8 -- the introductory price on it right now is competitive with what SU-DH1 seems to sell for, it's wireless, and it has hooks for voice chat and aux music input.  It also has, from what I understand, a newer chipset to implement Dolby Headphone. 

Basically, all the Victor/JVC box seems to have going for it is DTS decoding.  I did a quick run-down of my movie collection, and most of those I will frequently re-watch have at least SOME Dolby option.  Even some that lack a Dolby TrueHD lossless track do offer a Dolby Digital/AC-3 lossy 5.1 track (and since interconnect is via Toslink, the lossless track wouldn't come through anyway -- the source would have to play a lossy "core").  So I decided I was willing to give up DTS decoding in exchange for the Mixamp's other advantages.

Dec 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Ah interesting, the Mixamp 5.8 performs the same functions as the regular mixamp, but it is just wireless. (and cheaper right now!)
Do you know if batteries are required? Or can I just plug it into the USB and power it through that without batteries,
I read some reviews and apparently you NEED a headset that has voice chat like the Astro A30 or A40, meaning my sennheiser HD 555 will not work?!
That doesn't make sense...

I went to the Astro website and tried to order a Mixamp 5.8 to see how much it costs, I live in Canada, British Columbia.

Subtotal: $99.95
Shipping Charge: + $83.97

SHIPPING 89.97 ARE YOU SERIOUS?
My goodness.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 8
I think you can plug the Rx unit in via USB if you don't want to use batteries.  Also, it was confirmed on another forum that if you use rechargable AAAs (e.g. Sanyo Eneloops), you can just leave them in the Rx and it'll charge the batteries when plugged in via USB.  The Tx unit has a wall-wart.

I just checked the manual, and it states that the 5.8 comes with a Y-cable to allow use of any 3rd party headset, so I think those reviewers you mentioned were mistaken.  That said, if you do have a headest like the A30 or A40, you can plug it directly into the Mixamp without using the Y-cable.  One thing I'm trying to figure out is if I can use my XBox mic.  The Mixamp has a 2.5mm male-to-male cable that connects to the XBox controller, so I'll be able to hear other people.  But I think the input on the Y-cable is 3.5mm (more of a standard headset jack size)... may need an adapter, or may have to just buy a cheap mic, if I want to be heard.

As far as shipping goes... WOW.  I was dismayed that they charged me over $13 to ship (I live in the US, midwest).  But $84?!  That's outrageous.  And of course, nobody else sells it right now (unlike the wired version, which from what I understand, can sometimes be bought from other retailers or at least on eBay).  Maybe a benevolent soul here in the US will order two, and send you one (though you might still end up paying their $13 shipping + actual charges to your location, it'd be a heckuva lot better than $84!). 

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ah interesting, the Mixamp 5.8 performs the same functions as the regular mixamp, but it is just wireless. (and cheaper right now!)
Do you know if batteries are required? Or can I just plug it into the USB and power it through that without batteries,
I read some reviews and apparently you NEED a headset that has voice chat like the Astro A30 or A40, meaning my sennheiser HD 555 will not work?!
That doesn't make sense...

I went to the Astro website and tried to order a Mixamp 5.8 to see how much it costs, I live in Canada, British Columbia.

Subtotal: $99.95
Shipping Charge: + $83.97

SHIPPING 89.97 ARE YOU SERIOUS?
My goodness.

http://properreserve.myshopify.com/collections/astro-gaming/products/astro-a30-audio-system

Bam. $10 shipping. Brand new. Toronto, Ontario.

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 8
oh my!
I'im so glad I checked this thread again on a whim
thanks so much for the link!!
Just making sure though,
Has anyone used this website? Is it legit?
I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to online purchasing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back