Supernova about to give Earth a second sun
Jan 20, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 25
I was gonna call BS until I realized the headline (and thread title) was just fluff to get us reading :p  Also, Betelgeuse is the 10th largest known star, not the 2nd... and that would be in the galaxy, not universe... 

I'd be very surprised if we could predict the supernova to a year, let alone a range of millenia.  However, this would be WICKED cool, and I'd love nothing more than to gaze upon such a close supernova through a scope in my lifetime (with the proper filters, of course :wink: ). 

Is there a link to the source paper? 

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
I was gonna call BS until I realized the headline (and thread title) was just fluff to get us reading :p  Also, Betelgeuse is the 10th largest known star, not the 2nd... and that would be in the galaxy, not universe... 

I'd be very surprised if we could predict the supernova to a year, let alone a range of millenia.  However, this would be WICKED cool, and I'd love nothing more than to gaze upon such a close supernova through a scope in my lifetime (with the proper filters, of course :wink: ). 

Is there a link to the source paper? 

Yes, the article has errors.  It is certainly not the 2nd largest.

And you wouldn't need to look at it with a scope unless you wanted to see a lot of detail, it would be plainly visible to the naked eye because it would be massive.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 25
Jan 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 25
Our magnetic energy is waning as we get near the polarity shift. If high energy waves from a supernova were to hit us now,  me thinks it wouldn't take but a blink of an eye.

Jan 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 25
I saw a great National Geographic show called 'Inside the Milky Way', and it said that Chinese astronomers recorded a bright star appearing in the sky that was bright enough to be seen during the day. It happened roughly 1000 years ago and only lasted for a few months. It was a supernova and it produced the crab nebula. The youngest stars to found in our galaxy are in the crab nebula.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #12 of 25
This article title is a pretty good example of how to get tons of people to read something sensational and not be factually inaccurate: rely on something that could happen at any point from here on through infinity. Nonetheless, it was entertaining. I would love to live to see this, though with my luck it will happen during the summer in the northern hemisphere, when Orion is out of sight until right before sunrise in August. I guess that just means it would show up later in the day, which would be awesome on its own, but which would deny us the nighttime spectacle I'm imagining in my head.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:

Our magnetic field has been weakening over the past decade or so, but it's not really a big deal. It's happened many times in the earth's history.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

Our magnetic field has been weakening over the past decade or so, but it's not really a big deal. It's happened many times in the earth's history.

Isn't this one of the ten billion things that's supposed to kill us in 2012? I could swear I've read somebody play this up before.

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
This article title is a pretty good example of how to get tons of people to read something sensational and not be factually inaccurate: rely on something that could happen at any point from here on through infinity. Nonetheless, it was entertaining. I would love to live to see this, though with my luck it will happen during the summer in the northern hemisphere, when Orion is out of sight until right before sunrise in August. I guess that just means it would show up later in the day, which would be awesome on its own, but which would deny us the nighttime spectacle I'm imagining in my head.

Don't you mean "not be factually accurate" ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back